Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083636 Posts in 71735 Topics- by 19132 Members - Latest Member: ashughart50wr
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakFood and Drink(Moderators: RedHotMama, BFW) How about a nice cup of tea?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How about a nice cup of tea?  (Read 5719 times)
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50AM »

Tannins make me sick. Someone made me a tea using a teabag once and without me knowing they squeezed the last drops out of the bag against a spoon into the cup before giving it to me. About ten minutes later I was sorry I was even alive.

I'm pretty sure most of the tannins and oils shoukd stay inside the black tea away from humans.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08AM »

Every morning I have a big cup of PG tips, milk first. Latter I have very strong coffe, thenn it is coffe first and milk latter.
I really don´t know why.
In the evening I often have tea, Builders, black. (Or a glass of vine.)

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 11:46AM »

I know the Brits don't think ice tea is tea, but...

I like more tannins in ice tea, but for hot tea medium tannins are best on my tongue.  I need to taste them, but not enough to make the tea unbalanced and bitter.

I really like green tea too.  I usually make that so strong it has more kick than coffee. The flavor is very mild to begin with so I just go a bit mad with it.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 12:12PM »

For our Canadian friends, is Red Rose the Budweiser of teas or is there something to it?  I do use it in a bag from time to time although when we brew a pot it's PG Tips.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 12:42PM »

For our Canadian friends, is Red Rose the Budweiser of teas or is there something to it?  I do use it in a bag from time to time although when we brew a pot it's PG Tips.
RED ROSE... Very nice tea !!

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54PM »

Red Rose black is not a bad tea.  Quite nice.  My wife dose does not like it, but I do.  I have not tried the breakfast blend.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:23AM by BillO » Logged

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Eastcheap

"It's the only song I know."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20PM »

Tomorrow (30 May) at 12:04 on Radio 4, The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry will tackle some of these vital issues. Or you can listen on the website now (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07ctt11).
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 06:48AM »

I'm with you Roebird... when I drink black teas, I want high tannin. Ceylon doesn't really do it for me. I associate those tannins with "tea flavor"

I got a lovely tin of Earl Grey at a shop in King's Lynn (UK) several years ago that smelled so strongly of bergamot and clove that my horn case still had the smell months later. It was strong! That was the tea that convinced me that milk is a necessity - I drank a cup of it straight one morning and it nearly made me ill... with milk it was perfect.

There are worse things for a case to smell of!

I do love Earl Grey, but again it's an afternoon tea.  It just doesn't have enough welly for me first thing in the morning.
Before lunch I don't just need to tickle my tastebuds, I have to give them a proper belt.
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 06, 2016, 01:52PM »

I am English. I always have been and I guess I always will be.

I DON'T LIKE TEA!

I can't stand the smell of it and can't get near it.

I don't like beer either (or the foreign lager stuff)

I think I might start a topic about my favourite tipple:-

Anybody here like SCRUMPY?

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 06, 2016, 02:24PM »

Stewbones43

I DON'T LIKE TEA!

(Probably too late to suggest seeking professional help to resolve those childhood issues which have left you in such a condition...)

I think I might start a topic about my favourite tipple:-

(Now there's a real English beverage. It predates all those nasty foreign influences like Chinese cha or German beer.)

Cheers

Stewbones

[/quote]
Ive taken the pledge so lift a pint for me, scrumpy not sweet.

DRB
Seola Creek
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 2016, 02:54PM »

I DON'T LIKE TEA!

Stewbones

Being a typical clueless Yank, I have never heard of scrumpy, and had to look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrumpy

As for me - I am not English, but I do like tea - preferably high-quality, loose-leaf, 1 teaspoon tea leaves/8 ounces of boiling water, steeped in a pot for ~4 minutes.  And I drink it straight up - no milk, sugar, lemon, etc.! 
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 06, 2016, 03:05PM »

I live in San Francisco where there is a large Asian and particularly Chinese community.  And I married into a Chinese family.  So, I have been exposed to some teas that I never knew about growing up in New England.  

My two favorites are Bo-Nay (aka Pu-Erh) and Hoji-Cha.  Bo-Nay is a fermented black tea that has a very unique flavor and is sometimes marketed as Dim-Sum tea.  Dim-Sum places here seems to either serve Bo-Nay or Jasmine.  And Hoji-Cha, my current tea of choice, is a roasted green tea.  I don't usually go for green teas but this one is great.  These are both worth trying.  Cheers!

--Holton TR180 (1974) / Holton VH-BASS
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 06, 2016, 07:16PM »

Green tea, over ice, with half a lemon squeezed into it.

I don't understand the attraction of boiling hot beverages.

I don't like milk in either tea or coffee.

I like milk as milk.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Rath.of.Conn

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 06, 2016, 07:46PM »

I never really understood the appeal of PG Tips, which always tasted sort of "dirty" to me. And chrysanthemum tea tastes like you just did a faceplant into a dandelion field. And don't even get me started on Southern iced sweet tea, which I suspect is basically brown corn syrup. But some teas that I do like would include:

South African rooibos - nice and woodsy without being harsh or bitter
Really thick matcha green tea - the kind your spoon might stand up in, great in ice cream too
Iced Korean bori-cha (barley tea) - served by the pitcher in L.A.'s K-town restaurants; clean grainy taste makes it perfect on a hot day's lunch with Korean BBQ
Lapsang souchong (smoked black tea) - great on a cold night; this is like the tea equivalent of putting on a paisley velvet robe and lighting a pipe after dinner
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 06, 2016, 10:51PM »

Cheers

Stewbones

Oi, start your own cider thread!  :D

Actually, I'm rather partial to a bit of scrumpy myself when I'm off duty.

We live close to Rich's so we used to buy from them.  Then my husband started visiting Thatchers as it was on his way home from work - the Cheddar Valley Red is my favourite but I also like the Heritage.

Recently he's discovered Crossmans at Hewish (North of Weston Super Mare on the A370).  They have a very good medium cider, but the strength varies considerably from week to week, so it's a bit of Russian roulette.

Where do you get yours from, what's the best farmhouse cider in the Taunton area?
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 07, 2016, 05:50AM »

Milk first, but only because it fits me brewing routine. Wouldn't go so far as to call it a ritual...

King Cole, stringless bags of Orange Pekoe from New Brunswick. French press, only ever used for tea, brought over to the kettle just as it clicks off. Screen plunged at about the ninety second mark when things are falling nicely into place. Three minutes, maybe OK; but five minutes is stewed, IMO. I imagine a bag of King Cole would make a nice builder's tea.

Occasional Lapsang Souchong, what the drummer in my wife's band calls "burned log tea," brewed loose in a mug, strained into another. Does anybody put milk in that? I take it black.
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 07, 2016, 06:19AM »

Milk first, but only because it fits me brewing routine. Wouldn't go so far as to call it a ritual...

King Cole, stringless bags of Orange Pekoe from New Brunswick. French press, only ever used for tea, brought over to the kettle just as it clicks off. Screen plunged at about the ninety second mark when things are falling nicely into place. Three minutes, maybe OK; but five minutes is stewed, IMO. I imagine a bag of King Cole would make a nice builder's tea.

Occasional Lapsang Souchong, what the drummer in my wife's band calls "burned log tea," brewed loose in a mug, strained into another. Does anybody put milk in that? I take it black.
Never milk in Lapsang Souchong !!

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:02AM »

I don't like milk in any tea, but particularly Lapsang Souchong.

We don't do scrumpy on this side of the pond, but in the fall most of the local apple orchards do their own apple cider which I really like.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:17AM »

I wonder if the variety of opinions on PG is due to it being blended for different markets, like Gusiness varies regionally.

Years back it was good. My wife bought a large box of bags recently and it's awful. Luckily I had just read an article linked from a National Health site which recommended strong tea for an antifungal foot bath. A dozen bags in a gallon or so of water with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon works very well. Although it stains your feet and nails...

For a strong morning cup (rotgut in wine speak) I'm finding cheap teas packaged for the Muslim market to be a good buy. Al Wazah is a FBOP from Sri Lanka I can buy locally for less than U$ 10.00/500g.

DRB
Seola Creek
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: