Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087332 Posts in 72017 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ever burned?  (Read 3834 times)
thetuningslide
Rapid Tuner

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:22PM »

Anyone have some stories of getting burned on a deal? Obviously, it's easier to get ripped off over the internet, but physical deals count too. Also, what are some great "red flags" of a scam that you've learned amongst your trading or buying endeavors?

The only instrument that hates being called a Ricer!
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 06:38AM »

The "I'm in Jamaica buying this for my sick brother" is a frequent scam. Any deal whete the money is not straight forward or involves something odd like refunding a large money order. If you deal with people who have just joined or have very low post count,  you need to be extra careful -  not rude,  just careful.

I've heard a couple stories of people getting actually scammed here on the forum , but they are reare. I've been buying and selling horns for the past couple of years and the worst I've had was a horn that got damaged in transit.  Most folks here are pretty honest.

You can research people on here to make sure that they have a real interest in the instrument and that they have a positive history on the forum. I've made dozens of deals with only two bad experiences, one for $40 someone sold me a cracked lexan rim,  and then the damaged horn.

Now if I have any doubt about someone's experience shipping horns,  I give them some pointers. Anyway good luck.
fwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:12AM »

I've only been burned twice in many years of buying and selling online.  Unfortunately one of those situations was here on the Forum.  I paid for an Edwards lead pipe and it never arrived.  The seller quit communicating with me so I'm out $50.  Buyer beware!
thetuningslide
Rapid Tuner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:19AM »

The "I'm in Jamaica buying this for my sick brother" is a frequent scam. Any deal whete the money is not straight forward or involves something odd like refunding a large money order. If you deal with people who have just joined or have very low post count,  you need to be extra careful -  not rude,  just careful.

I've heard a couple stories of people getting actually scammed here on the forum , but they are reare. I've been buying and selling horns for the past couple of years and the worst I've had was a horn that got damaged in transit.  Most folks here are pretty honest.

You can research people on here to make sure that they have a real interest in the instrument and that they have a positive history on the forum. I've made dozens of deals with only two bad experiences, one for $40 someone sold me a cracked lexan rim,  and then the damaged horn.

Now if I have any doubt about someone's experience shipping horns,  I give them some pointers. Anyway good luck.
Hmm, interesting. Ood to know most TTF members are honest. Good idea with investigating the "motive" for them to have your horn. Yeah, I always stay away from sales that don't have direst money involved. Do scammers get banned if they're reported to an admin or mod?

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:36AM »

As far as I know, all the wind musicians on this gig got ripped off. I was asked to play alto on the concert three separate times and the first time the point of contact immediately started saying he couldn't pay unless I had a Korean work visa, so I said "No thanks".

The second time was from a colleague asking about the same gig. When I told him about the pay problems he admitted that he had never been paid by this director for any past work and he didn't know why he was trying to help him.

The third time was from the director offering more money. Same gig.

Three of my colleagues played on this. Three of my colleagues are out twenty hours of work and didn't get paid.  I'll be sure to update if that ever changes. Very sketch.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:02PM »

The worst i have had wasn't really a burn just a minor annoyance.
A fellow forum member put up an ad wanting to do a trade for a mouthpiece they no longer wanted. I was interested and sent a short list of spare pieces i thought they might be interested in trading for. They got back to me saying they wanted to do a direct swap for one Of the pieces i had listed. We agreed to just pay for our own postage at each end.
I received the piece they had sent first with no issue and was very happy with it. Shortly after i received it i got an odd email from the sender saying my mouthpiece had arrived in their country but their post office was asking them to pay to pick it up. They implied this was my fault and had said they refused delivery on the mouthpiece. Because of this they were asking me for money for the one they sent me.

After a few confused back and forth emails i discovered the Issue was that his country had asked him to pay some kind of import tax. I explained this was in no way my fault but when the mouthpiece he had refused delivery returned to me i would re send it to him and undervalue it on the forms so they would not have to deal with whatever payment they were complaining about. This person refused and again asked me to pay for the mouthpiece they had sent me.
I explained i would not send any money until the mouthpiece i had sent to this person arrived back at my house.

Shortly after, I saw this person make a post here to someone else saying they had had an opportunity to try the model of mouthpiece i had sent them and were not interested in that model.

It took months but my mouthpiece arrived back safely, and i did pay this person an agreed price fir the one they sent me. Definitely not a terrible situation, could have been MUCH worse but still irritating, was not expecting to pay money for this deal. I suspect this person tried the mouthpiece i sent decided it wasn't for them and thought they would try get money from me instead. I don't know for sure if that is what happened but i suspect so.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:05PM »

How about the one where the guy was selling some trombone or mouthpiece, I forget, and another forum member responded with, "hey! I'm still waiting for you to pay me for that before you go selling it!"

Crazy, man.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:24PM »

Never been burned to the degree that I paid for something that never arrived, but I've been pretty disappointed in what did show up several times.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 08:18PM »

The only negative experience I've had in nearly 20 years involves a Shires double valve section. I had a few problems with the main tuning slide jamming and it turned out that one end had been cut. I asked the seller about it and he said he had never noticed it. I lived with it until recently when I bought a replacement tuning slide.

Not bad for 20 years.
thetuningslide
Rapid Tuner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:26PM »

Sounds like people on TTF are generally reputable.

Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 02:00AM »

Been burned a few times. One time was through the classifieds here. Won't mention any names as he is a VIP on the forum........
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 03:35AM »

Been burned a few times. One time was through the classifieds here. Won't mention any names as he is a VIP on the forum........

Oh go on, tell us...
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 07:29AM »

come on then Duff - who that be?

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 08:05AM »

If someone burns others on sales/buys... dropping his/her name is fair play, AFAIC. 

-John
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 09:57AM »

If someone burns others on sales/buys... dropping his/her name is fair play, AFAIC. 

amen

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 10:15AM »

And whoever it is can put his side of it, if he wishes.
thetuningslide
Rapid Tuner

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43PM »

I'd be interested to hear as well...

leec

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2016, 12:44PM »

Not yet but I've recently bought two bones sight unseen, should have one early next week.  I'll let you know.
thetuningslide
Rapid Tuner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2016, 02:37PM »

Alright. Hope you get a good product.

BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2016, 04:02PM »

Not yet but I've recently bought two bones sight unseen, should have one early next week.  I'll let you know.

Two?  I've been out of the loop...

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: