Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086892 Posts in 71948 Topics- by 19229 Members - Latest Member: Alfred
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakPolls(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) When our language is not english.....
Poll
Question: Is it ok to join this forum when your  primary language is not english?
Yes - 59 (98.3%)
No - 1 (1.7%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When our language is not english.....  (Read 6290 times)
savio

View Profile WWW
« on: Jun 03, 2016, 02:27PM »

I made only two options because I dont like the "dont know" option.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2016, 02:58PM »

I'm presuming that, whatever their native language, the person is intending to post in English... because that will get them the most interaction and response.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:05PM »

As long as someone can make some variety of sense, I think you will find that only the blowhards would take any offense at non-native English speakers joining the flock.

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:22PM »

I'm presuming that, whatever their native language, the person is intending to post in English... because that will get them the most interaction and response.

Presume what you want....

Leif

MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:30PM »

I find it hard to imagine the circumstances in which somebody would click 'no' in answer to that question...

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:57PM »

If your main language is not English but you have some fluency you are welcome.  I have had some problems with people who write in their language and have Google Translate put it in English, then take our responses and try to have Google Translate translate the answers back into their language.  In most cases we won't understand the question and the requester won't understand the answers.

If you want to start a Forum in Norwegian, Russian, Swedish, or even Esperanto, that's great.  But make the people converse in the Forum language.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2016, 04:48PM »

If your main language is not English but you have some fluency you are welcome.  I have had some problems with people who write in their language and have Google Translate put it in English, then take our responses and try to have Google Translate translate the answers back into their language.  In most cases we won't understand the question and the requester won't understand the answers.

If you want to start a Forum in Norwegian, Russian, Swedish, or even Esperanto, that's great.  But make the people converse in the Forum language.
Inspite of the extra work, I've seen you and the forum bend over backwards to help non-english posters. "Polish Lake" comes to mind but that only took 36 hr.s to find a member bi-lingual in Romanian.
Being ignorant in many languages* it always impresses me when Savior or members from other foreign lands, NZ, CA write so well in English.

DRB
Seola Creek

I got through 3acts of La Boheme in Oslo before Mimi's polite Nei takk told me that the production wasn't in French.
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2016, 04:55PM »

I find it hard to imagine the circumstances in which somebody would click 'no' in answer to that question...

Read history.

Leif

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2016, 04:56PM »

I got through 3acts of La Boheme in Oslo before Mimi's polite Nei takk told me that the production wasn't in French.

That's OK.  The opera was written in Italian (by Puccini).  They only live in France. ;-)

Bruce Guttman
fsung

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2016, 05:09PM »

Unless it's a Canadian forum: then they make you post everything in BOTH official languages ... eh? Evil
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2016, 07:50PM »

That's OK.  The opera was written in Italian (by Puccini).  They only live in France. ;-)
Like I said I'm ignorant in many languages, probably hundreds if not more.
DRB
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2016, 08:10PM »

Read history.

You're not asking if it's okay according to the consensus of the history of English speaking countries though, are you? You're talking about here and now ... no?

If anyone gives you a hard time you can always remind them that your English is (more than likely) a helluva lot better than their Norwegian ... eh?

That's what I usually reply when an international student (and the UGA Science Library) apologizes for struggling a bit with English (i.e. their English is a whole lot better than my Japanese, French, Chinese, Hindi, German ... whatever).

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2016, 08:14PM »

Many English-based forums require that posts be in English so that the moderators can properly do their job, to delete spam and other nefarious uses of the internet.

Robert Holmén

Eastcheap

"It's the only song I know."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2016, 10:24PM »

I got through 3acts of La Boheme in Oslo before Mimi's polite Nei takk...

Please tell me there was a recording.

I wonder if Anglophonic anxiety isn't common amongst Scandinavians of a certain age. I can't help but think of Kurt Wallander agonizing over the correct English pronunciation of "Kurt."

Really, we're pretty easy-going about these things for the most part. After all, it's not like any of us born to English can speak the language properly either. And no one can write it.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2016, 10:52PM »

Is it ok to join this forum when your  primary language is not english?

What prompted the question?

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2016, 06:33AM »

Like I said I'm ignorant in many languages, probably hundreds if not more.
DRB

I had a scoutmaster who used to say "I can speak any language but Greek.  And what you are saying is all Greek to me."  Sounds like the kind of quip Groucho Marx would use.

Bruce Guttman
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2016, 01:18PM »

People who know three languages are called trilingual.
People who know two languages are called bilingual.
People who know only one language are called Americans. :D

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
fsung

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2016, 05:18PM »

People who know three languages are called trilingual.
People who know two languages are called bilingual.
People who know only one language are called Americans. :D

If posts on internet forums and social media are any indicator, you're giving Americans W-A-A-A-A-Y too much credit.  Evil  … >:(
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2016, 06:03PM »

"Please tell me there was a recording."

Actually the more interesting musical event was coming across a Hawaiian guitarist doing a sound check in a huge empty beer garden. The exotic music drifting down an Oslo street, so out of context it was if there had been a teleporter error.

"I wonder if Anglophonic anxiety isn't common amongst Scandinavians of a certain age. I can't help but think of Kurt Wallander agonizing over the correct English pronunciation of "Kurt.""

The pendulum swings. My grand parents were fluent in Norwegian. I never knew this or heard it, only learning about it years after their passing. My Grandfather was never Svend, his given name, but used "Fred", the American version of his middle name.

This has been true of many immigrants, they're Americans now and leave the old country behind. My great-grandfather had dropped his family name on immigrating and adopted "Bogen" as less ethnic.

Maybe this lingers in our reticence  to learn other languages.
DRB
Seola Creek
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2016, 06:29PM »

Actually, not all name changes were voluntary.

My wife's grandfather's family came from Poland where the name was Latanicky.  The Ellis Island people couldn't understand the Polish pronunciation and renamed them Wasserman.

There is an old joke about the new immigrant arriving at Ellis Island.  His brother had been renamed to something (we'll say Wolfowitz) and he needed to show he was related.  So he's on line saying to himself "My name is Wolfowitz... My name is Wolfowitz... ".  Come to the desk with the stern guy in the uniform who says brusquely "What is your name".  Our poor immigrant is frightened to death and says "Shein, Fargessen" (Yiddish for "What a pity, I forgot!").  And so Shane Fergussen got his start in America.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: