Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087144 Posts in 71990 Topics- by 19239 Members - Latest Member: Hackercraft792
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: Where do we play or what do we do with our trombone?
No where, just got a trombone
School band
High school band/ensemble
Music/trombone education
Community band/orchestra
Professional freelance
Professional band/orchestra/ensemble
Music teacher
Soloist fulltime
Parents to a little trombone player
Dont play trombone, just interested

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where do we play?  (Read 2427 times)
jmtheob
Keeping it somewhat real

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my e"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2016, 08:21AM »

I've never had the opportunity to play with you, although I met you briefly when you came to Hollis NH.

You haven't missed much.  I remember Hollis very well.  Anyone who lives in northeastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire should go hear the town band play!  Happy 4th.

Jim Theobald
Olds P-24G/DE LB113J8
King 2104 Silver
Blessing B88/DE LB113G8
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2016, 09:04AM »

Multiple choices would lose track of the number of people voting, and without that there's no perspective.
I'm not sure about the capability of this forum's software, but this, in general, is not necessarily true.  Even if you don't keep track of the number of respondents, they can provide single or multiple answers and the data is still valid. Perhaps not as a percentage of a whole but certainly in a relative sense, which may even be more valuable here.  Of course more information can be gleamed if you do keep track, but still there is no need to limit responses.

But I digress.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:32AM »

I am a full time soloist, but the only one who gets to hear my solos are my wife and pets. Lately they have been getting really tired of the Grondahl.

I also play in a community band, a college wind ensemble, even though I don't go to the college, play lead in a community big band, lead a fairly decent brass quintet, and am on the sub list for 2 orchestras, one of which has never actually asked me to play and one which has used me once. I play most of the shows that call for trombone at our local community theater, which is actually just about my favorite type of playing, except for double show days. We did a run of Memphis in May that was a lot of fun. I used to play in a really good trombone choir, but the director got appointed head of the music department at his college and was too busy to lead it for the past 5 years. I am hoping he starts it back again sometime.
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:41AM »

An equally interesting question might be why people play where they do. We all play, well, because like to.

But looking a little further, I play in a community band to play under a conductor who loves trombones and who also gives me the opportunity to play solos. I play in a Sinatra band because it's great to be in a band that is appreciated so much by the audience.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2016, 12:07PM »

I am a full time soloist, but the only one who gets to hear my solos are my wife and pets. Lately they have been getting really tired of the Grondahl.
Good! Try Hindemith sonata for some month's. Haha

I believed it should be more in education and high school here? Maybe they are busy in the practice room?

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2016, 12:43PM »

I play in a community orchestra, semi professional big band (we get paid for some gigs and others are free), a community brass band, two community wind ensembles, and I usually do 2 or 3 pit shows a year.  I was in a jazz trombone ensemble regularly for a few years until 2009 when we broke up, but starting last year we've been getting back together for a few gigs here and there.  I'm glad we did because it's a really fun group.  One of the trombonists is an excellent composer so we play a lot of original charts.  The name of the group is Sliders:D

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:09AM »

It should be an interesting result.

However, I feel there is one important slot missing: That of Semi Professional Freelance.
I agree although I don't make a living at it, I do have some meager income from playing
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: