Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092465 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Turkey  (Read 1109 times)
badger

View Profile
« on: Jul 15, 2016, 03:54PM »

Turkey:

http://news.sky.com/story/turkish-military-says-it-has-taken-over-country-10503039

Excerpt:

The Turkish military claims to have "fully seized control" of the country amid reports of gunfire and explosions.

An announcer on Turkey's state broadcaster TRT has read out a live statement, reportedly on the orders of the military, announcing that the army has taken control.

The statement said the country is now being run by a "peace council", declaring that martial law and a nationwide curfew are in place.
In an extraordinary interview with a Turkish broadcaster, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on people to take to the streets in support of the government.

Speaking from an unknown location on a mobile phone held up by the presenter, he said the uprising "attempt" was being run by a minority within the armed forces, warning that it would be given the "necessary response."

CCN-Turk, meanwhile, is reporting that a loud explosion has been heard at a state-run television building in the capital Ankara.

Gunfire has been heard at Istanbul's Ataturk airport, amid reports that all flights have been cancelled in and out of the airport.

According to one news agency, a top general is among several people being "held hostage" at the military headquarters in Ankara.
Military vehicles are said to be blocking two main bridges in Istanbul, while low-flying military jets are patrolling the Turkish capital, Ankara.

The TRT broadcaster has now gone off air.
"It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels," an EU source told news agency Reuters.

"They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source said.

According to Turkish media, the military statement said it had taken action to: "reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated."

The military statement went on to say that "all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue."

The Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim earlier confirmed that military action is taking place, de-scribing it as an illegal "attempt" by a faction of the army to seize power.

Mr Yildirim called for calm, saying security forces are doing what is necessary to resolve the situation.

He warned that those responsible for this "illegal attempt " will pay the "highest price."

Several world leaders, including UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, have issued statements calling for calm.

End Excerpt.

I’ll have to claim ignorance on much of this. I get out of touch with news when out in the country and just started receiving news on this recently.

This appears to be Big News. I have not had the  TV on in a couple of days.

Is Erdogan gone?
badger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04:35PM »

Recent News:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2dcbe086e94145cbab93f5026270b44f/obama-all-parties-turkey-should-support-erdogan-govt

Mr. Obama:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is urging all parties in Turkey to support the democratically elected government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

He's urging them to show restraint and avoid any violence or bloodshed amid a military takeover of the key NATO ally.

The White House says Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry consulted by phone Friday night after the stunning turn of events.

Kerry, who was traveling in Moscow, underscored that the State Department will focus on keeping U.S. citizens in Turkey safe and secure.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2016, 05:18PM »

Mr. Obama:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is urging all parties in Turkey to support the demo-cratically-elected government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

That's what responsible leaders of democratic countries always have to say when there's a coup somewhere but no one in the west seems to regard Erdogan as a great treasure. We won't be sending the Marines in to put Erdogan back in power.

A Military Coup in Turkey is a Very Big Deal

There have been a series of military coups in Turkey since the post-World War II transition to multi-party democracy. Indeed, the Turkish military was deemed for decades to have a special role in the state as the protector and guarantor of the state ideology of Kemalism.

"Kemalism" being the idea that Turkey should be run as a secular society and not governed by religious powers.

This may be like in Egypt where the military recently tossed out their Islamic fundamentalist President.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2016, 06:01PM »

THis is a big deal, but it will be a while before anything truly revalatory or illuminating emerges. It will be in process for a while before we get any real good information.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2016, 06:44PM »

Turkey has more Syrian refugees than anywhere else.  Wonder what will happen to them under the military regime?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2016, 07:53PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-troops-seize-power-crowds-answer-erdogan-call-004145452.html

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2016, 08:11PM »

Looks like that's over.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2016, 12:01PM »

Not going to end well for anyone appearing to be a part of it...

Robert Holmén

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2016, 12:45PM »

And, those poor bastards are more than likely just conscripted cannon fodder who just went where they were told to go. Ugly!

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2016, 12:53PM »

Yeah, if your colonel told you to go block a bridge you may not have many opportunities to question the motives.

I wonder how these things are planned.

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2016, 03:15PM »

Who's our guy?

"A polarizing figure whose Islamist-rooted ideology lies at odds with supporters of modern Turkey's secular principles, Erdogan said the plotters had tried to attack him in the resort town of Marmaris."
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2016, 03:32AM »

I confess to confusion on that point. My zeroth-order level of understanding -

• Turkey has a long Islamic heritage
  • It also has a less long but still sizeable 20th century tradition of secularism
  • Erdogan seems to look East more than West, to Islam more than secularism
  • The figure being pointed at for the coup, Gulen, is an Islamic preacher
  • The army, the instrument of the coup, is supposedly a hotbed of secularist sentiment

So to my eyes, a dispute between figures on the same side sparks an uprising by power on the opposite side in support of one of them. I think I need to understand this quite a bit better, as it feels nonsensical...

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2016, 03:58PM »

Unsubstantiated internet reports say soldiers thought they were on drills.

...So to my eyes, a dispute between figures on the same side sparks an uprising by power on the opposite side in support of one of them. I think I need to understand this quite a bit better, as it feels nonsensical...

Erdogan doesn't want to let a good crisis go to waste. He gets to purge his opponents AND embellish his anti-US cred.

Robert Holmén

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2016, 04:13PM »

The figure being pointed at for the coup, Gulen, is an Islamic preacher

One can be a Muslim and support a secular government.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:13PM »

Here's an account from Turkish musician via an American musician in Europe...

A violinist emerges from Turkey’s crackdown

...From here on, my friend walked a tightrope of protecting his family, his income, continuing to inspire and create musical communities, until one day a dreaded brilliant yellow envelope was delivered to his door. These envelopes contain official government complaints against citizens, and have to be fought tooth and nail with every resource available. The allegations are without proof, and run the gamut from implausible to ridiculous. His days were filled with defending and disproving these accusations, pulled from thin air but with the deadly bite of an alligator. Day after day these envelopes arrived, until one day, one arrived for his wife...

Robert Holmén

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: