Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

941652 Posts in 61984 Topics- by 14961 Members - Latest Member: Stevetrom
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OK price for used trombone?  (Read 8779 times)
bonemeister

View Profile
« on: Oct 03, 2004, 10:41AM »

Hello,

Ive looked on the web and even the cheapest new starter trombones are to expensive. how much should i pay for a used horn thats not junk?

I live out in asia. a chinese company called lamuse recently started making trombones that cost about 140 bucks for a new one. anyone know about these? are they junk? are they OK?
Stephen Hoffman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2004, 10:51AM »

Quote from: "bonemeister"
Hello,

Ive looked on the web and even the cheapest new starter trombones are to expensive. how much should i pay for a used horn thats not junk?

I live out in asia. a chinese company called lamuse recently started making trombones that cost about 140 bucks for a new one. anyone know about these? are they junk? are they OK?

Check out these Zeus trombones, they are actually quite cheap and very good trombones for what you pay.  Don't buy a Chinese trombone, they will not do anything for you and will simply make learning the trombone harder than it really is.  Try going to IBowtie.com, I know that they sell Zeus trombones but I could not find the exact link.

Peace,
Stephen
S. E. Shires :: Griego 4.5 Deco
Feel free to email me :: stephenhoffman@sixthrevolution.com
Farlander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:27PM »

Holy cow! $140? What currency are we talking about?

If you live in or near Singapore, there are quite a couple of 'junk' stores around (those that sell second-hand stuff) selling musical instruments. I've seen Lincolns going for something like S$200-300; my friend, who plays the tuba, got his Yamaha from one of those shops for S$1300 or so.

How much are you willing to part with for an instrument, anyway? And how serious are you, musically? Because if you're really into it, and would like to go beyond just fooling around with one, I'd advise you to invest just a little bit more and get a decent instrument, instead of a cheap one that will soon limit your playing.

And yeah, I agree with Stephen - Chinese trombones are awful to play. There was this one in my local shop going for USD $150 or so, had really lovely filigree, but had the worst sound I'd ever heard coming out of a trombone!

If you can't be silent, at least be thorough.
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2004, 07:12PM »

For a good used beginner horn (stick with Bach, Conn, or Yamaha), expect to pay around $250.00 U.S. on e-bay.  If that sounds expensive, check out the price of ANY other beginners musical instrument.  Trombones are the bargain of the musical world.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2004, 05:29AM »

Quote from: "Stephen Hoffman"
 Try going to IBowtie.com, I know that they sell Zeus trombones but I could not find the exact link.

http://www.ibowtie.com

And I can tell you that Jim Fox is one of our members! :)

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Johnny_verhoeven
If the slide moves it is a good trombone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2004, 09:52AM »

That can be tricky. My cheapesed bone is a B&H I bought for 25 euros and the spent 70 euros on repairs. That makes 95 euros thats about $80.

Trombones are pretty cheap as it is (that is why I have 5).
Anything playable will be around $100. I have a friend who bought one for 15 euros on a junk market and spent 50 euros on repairs. I guess you could be that lucky to.

Johnny Verhoeven

Jupiter Soprano
Stagg Alto
B&H small bore tenor
Maestro medium bore
Yamaha YSL356G
Boosey G-Bass (show piece in the living)
Edwards Bass (BigBand - my main job)
rcorliss

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:00PM »

The traditional Olds company that went out of business about 1970 had a reputation for making good quality instruments. Their beginning level trombones was the Ambassador, and I think good enough for an intermediate. They made a huge number of these instruments so that there is always a lot of them on sale on eBay - about twelve of them now - and they are very  inexpensive.
ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2004, 01:30PM »

The traditional Olds company that went out of business about 1970 had a reputation for making good quality instruments. Their beginning level trombones was the Ambassador, and I think good enough for an intermediate. They made a huge number of these instruments so that there is always a lot of them on sale on eBay - about twelve of them now - and they are very inexpensive.

Great suggestion!

Try going to IBowtie.com, I know that they sell Zeus trombones but I could not find the exact link.

I believe Dr. Fox is selling Kanstul trombones, not ZeuS anymore...someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
huskyhawkcougar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2004, 01:05PM »

Somebody tell me why you can get a trombone easily at $400, but it costs $1500+ for piccolos and flutes?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: