Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086901 Posts in 71950 Topics- by 19229 Members - Latest Member: Alfred
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I need help arrangimg  (Read 2058 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2016, 08:59AM »

Purely out of curiosity... what is the timeline on this project?

When are you supposed to have this ready?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2016, 09:18AM »

In a previous century I used NoteWorthy Composer to put together books of fiddle tunes for an amateur group. It's a WYSIWYG score editor with what I consider to be a friendly intuitive user interface.

The free trial version is fully functional, with a few inoffensive blivets to encourage you to spend the fifty bucks to register your copy. The "encouragement" doesn't get in the way of doing real work with it. I mostly used it for 32-bar tunes in lead-sheet form, four lines of four measures each, occupying half a letter-sized page. It also did just fine for what amounted to SATB four-part arrangements of those same tunes to get the kids with violas and cellos involved.

Lilypond is what I use for similar books these days, mostly because I can't be bothered to light up a Windows emulator on my linux box. It did take a while to learn how to write working "source code" for it. It is possible for lilypond to compile a multi-page PDF book in a single pass.

Whichever engraving software I use, I am in the habit of writing straight eighths, and expecting the players to apply appropriate swing, with guidance from the director/concertmaster (with the exception of strathspeys, where writing out the Scot snaps helps.) I have no idea about how brass ensembles deal with that issue.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: