Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089072 Posts in 71995 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceOther Musicians and Ensembles(Moderator: blast) Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature  (Read 7755 times)
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2016, 08:07AM »

Heard on the Beeb: Dylan has checked in and says he is flabbergasted but honored.  Maybe it took this long for him to come down from the drug high? Evil

Maybe the notification went into his "spam" folder. I get a couple of emails a week telling me I've won some prize or another.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2016, 08:35AM »

I always thought Gary Trudeau should win a major literary prize for Doonesbury. I followed it during the 90s and into the dot com/Iraq war eras, before I stopped reading newspapers for anything but sports. One favourite story line was the Congresswoman with Alzheimer's who left her house to a homeless woman who then lost it through her husband's day trading. Another was the kid who grew into the CIA operative through his university summer job. Always had multiple story lines going on that showed what was going on in America.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2016, 05:58PM »

We now know that Bob Dylan will accept the $1.2 Million prize money but will not attend the Nobel literature prize ceremony, due to prior commitments. No news yet on how he will deliver the required lecture but he has six months to arrange this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-17/bob-dylan-wont-attend-nobel-prize-ceremony/8032404

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:31PM »

For those that questioned whether Dylan's lyrics were really literature, I like very much his written acceptance speech delivered at the Swedish Academy gala banquet by the US ambassador to Sweden (no less!):

"Not once have I ever had the time to ask myself 'are my songs literature?'"
Dylan thanked the Swedish Academy "for taking the time to consider that very question and, ultimately, for providing such a wonderful answer". Good!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-11/bob-dylan-compares-himself-to-shakespeare-in-nobel-prize-speech/8110524

Grah

And climb on every rung
Peter Eiden

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:29PM »

I respect the lyrics, and accept their place in literature.  Perhaps that's also my respect for the Nobel committee and their selection process.

As  august a committee Dylan had to do the receiving for hm, I think it bad form that he couldn't figure out how to receive it in person.   With all due respect, he's not so important that he couldn't figure this out.   
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:57PM »

It is four months since Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature and he has finally got around to accepting it at a private event in Stockholm, before he played a scheduled concert in the city. He has still not give the necessary lecture but has promised to do this on tape.

The 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature was awarded to Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition". 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-02/bob-dylan-finally-gets-hands-on-his-nobel-literature-prize/8408484

I believe it was a very fitting award!

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 05, 2017, 04:18PM »

It is now 7 months since Bob Dylan won the Nobel prize for literature and he has finally delivered his Nobel lecture just in time to collect a 8 million Swedish krona ($1.2 million) reward. The lecture was recorded on Sunday in Los Angeles.

Dylan said his songs only needed to move people, not to make sense. Don't know The notoriously media-shy Dylan said: "Our songs are alive in the land of the living. But songs are unlike literature. They're meant to be sung, not read."

I am not so sure the statement is true for Bob's own tunes because some of them make very good sense to me, as you can see from my signature. But the Swedish Academy said, "The speech is extraordinary and, as one might expect, eloquent. Sara Danius of the Academy added that, "Now that the lecture has been delivered, the Dylan adventure is coming to a close." :D

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 15, 2017, 01:14AM »

After waiting until the last minute for his Nobel Prize lecture, Dylan is now being accused of plagiarising from Spark Notes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/did-bob-dylan-plagiarise-his-nobel-acceptance-speech/8620786

Grah

And climb on every rung
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jun 15, 2017, 06:04AM »

that is an awesome bit of trolling from the man

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: