Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092671 Posts in 72310 Topics- by 19428 Members - Latest Member: trosedos
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weight Loss Surgery  (Read 10145 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:38PM »

Geezer, there are some of us (and Brad is one) who seem to gain weight even eating moderate meals and doing reasonable exercise.  There has been some talk of a bacterium in our gut, or a gene, or who knows what.

I know of several people (including myself and my spouse) who have battled obesity for all our lives.  We can diet and lose weight, but as soon as we let up it comes right back.

I applaud Brad for doing what he did.  I hope it works out for him.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:55PM »

Geezer, there are some of us (and Brad is one) who seem to gain weight even eating moderate meals and doing reasonable exercise.  There has been some talk of a bacterium in our gut, or a gene, or who knows what.

I know of several people (including myself and my spouse) who have battled obesity for all our lives.  We can diet and lose weight, but as soon as we let up it comes right back.

I applaud Brad for doing what he did.  I hope it works out for him.

I do too! Don't take my general comments any other way.

Which actually supports my assertion that adherence to a proper diet should be a life-long endeavor. I don't have a "weight problem", but it has been a life-long practice for me to weigh myself every day at the same time and under the same conditions. If I gain a pound, I do whatever I need to do to lose that pound - that day - unless I specifically wish to gain some weight. I always felt that was down-to-earth and something I could live with all of my life, which I have. If someone can not adhere to that, they may be a candidate for a doctor's intervention.

OBTW Bruce: I hope you are fully recovered from your horrific automobile accident!

...Geezer
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2016, 05:41PM »

I attribute it to prosperity and the bad food habits that enables.

There's a site called shorpy.com devoted to old photos from 1850 to 1950.

It is exceedingly rare to see an overweight person among those pictures. Most people are rail thin and not just the poor people. 

What happened? It's not like we are a different species than 100 years ago.

Food got cheaper. It got easier. It got mass produced. It got sweeter. And I suppose we have more time to eat now also.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2016, 08:41AM »

Robcat is right.  Genetics and biochemistry alone are not sufficient to explain the weight shift in our society.  Also, regardless of how much one eats, if one eats less, weight loss will ensue.  I eat well below average for a male of my size to maintain my weight.  I find that it has the added benefit of saving me money and time.  However, the average person is eating well above what they need, almost double in fact.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5232240a69bedded5396670c-960/markets_cotd-new.png

I always felt that was down-to-earth and something I could live with all of my life, which I have. If someone can not adhere to that, they may be a candidate for a doctor's intervention.

Indeed.

-John
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2016, 08:47AM »

There's just so much food around. When in the history of our species has there been such abundance? And, over our evolution, gorging ourselves  when food was available because tomorrow it might not be was probably a good strategy. Pretty strong innate drives.
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2016, 09:30AM »

There's just so much food around. When in the history of our species has there been such abundance? And, over our evolution, gorging ourselves  when food was available because tomorrow it might not be was probably a good strategy. Pretty strong innate drives.

Agreed.  I think the ultimate solutions to the trends we're seeing will involve a massive environmental adjustment.  Right now we have government subsidizing the very things killing us.  That needs to stop.  We also need to create a social environment that encourages sustainable healthful habits.

-John
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2016, 09:41AM »

But, at the end of the day, those innate drives will compel us (as individuals) to gorge ourselves on good-tasting food, even though on a nutritional level, the quantity and quality are killing us.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2016, 09:44AM »

We're probably off on a tangent and the Tangent Cops will descend. However, until they do, if everyone would follow a vegan diet 90% of the time - as wife and I do - there would be enough food to go around for everyone on the planet with far fewer environmental consequences. At present world population levels, some scientists state that it is sustainable. Kinda uncommon - not unheard of - but kinda uncommon to see an overweight vegan.

...Geezer
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10:22AM »

You can eat all the french fries, cake, burgers, candy, mozzarella sticks, pizza, and nachos as you want, so long as you cook it yourself from ingredients that only have one ingredient listed on the packaging. Guess how often you'll be breading mozzarella to stick in your deep fryer.

This is why people were skinny in those old timey photos.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2016, 11:41AM »

But, at the end of the day, those innate drives will compel us (as individuals) to gorge ourselves on good-tasting food, even though on a nutritional level, the quantity and quality are killing us.

Not necessarily. Choice DOES factor. I haven't eaten fast food in over five years, nor will I ever again.

-John
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2016, 12:20PM »

None-the-less, I do want to wish BMadsen success with this new treatment.

When all the other tactics have been tried and have not succeeded then it is time to try something else.

I hope he will check in occasionally to let us know of his progress.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2016, 01:29PM »

I Agree with Mr. Reed.  Buy your food from the fresh meat counter and the produce section.  IF it comes in a sealed package with a list of ingredients longer than 1, it's probably best to leave it in the store.

I reached a peak or 294 lbs. the beginning of this last May.  My doctor was worried about type II diabetes, and my cholesterol levels were getting in the 'orange' zone.  I did not want to resort to drugs for the diabetes and cholesterol control and really felt awful physically.  My doctor gave me some literature about averting type II diabetes and the net of what that said was what I said in my opening remarks.  The kicker is I knew all this before too, so I only have myself to blame for my weight issue.

Since then I prepare all our food from fresh ingredients.  I've personally cut out all starch and sugar sources and stick with fish, lean meats, eggs, vegetables that grow above ground (plus some onions and turnips) and fruit low in sugar (peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc...).  Of course the beer is gone.  :cry:

It's made a huge difference.  Right away my blood sugar settled down, my cholesterol dropped, my frequent indigestion stopped, my energy level went up and I started to loose weight.  The weight loss has been slow, but very, very welcome.  I'm now down to under 265 and it's been falling at about a pound+ a week since the start.

It's not been a huge change for me to handle either.  The variety of food around here has not diminished, just changed, and I really like the benefits.  Oh, and our grocery spend is less too now. Good!  I've not yet felt the desire to quit this and go back to the old ways.  I don't think of it as a diet that will end some time.  This is now how I live.

I applaud anyone that takes some action to improve their lives.

Bruce bought up a god point, and it may be affecting most of us.  That is the bacteria theory.  There is more and more research coming out on this.  The point in time where obesity rates begin to climb correlates with the point in time when antibiotics came into use.  The latest research is not saying antibiotics should be avoided altogether, but they should not be unnecessarily prescribed and when they are prescribed, they need to be followed with a suitable pro-biotic therapy.

As to alcohol and weight loss, while alcohol itself cannot be turned into fat, it is more readily used by the body for energy than are sugars, triglycerides and ketones.  The net net of this is, if you wish to have a drink, it is best you don't drink anything with sugar in it, or beer, and do not drink within a couple of hours of eating.  Yeah, I know, nearly impossible, but it's better than giving it up altogether (at least for me).  Even then, drinking will slow your weight loss, so be moderate.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:53PM »

None-the-less, I do want to wish BMadsen success with this new treatment.

When all the other tactics have been tried and have not succeeded then it is time to try something else.

I hope he will check in occasionally to let us know of his progress.

Yes!

-John
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10:14PM »

You can eat all the french fries, cake, burgers, candy, mozzarella sticks, pizza, and nachos as you want, so long as you cook it yourself from ingredients that only have one ingredient listed on the packaging. Guess how often you'll be breading mozzarella to stick in your deep fryer.

This is why people were skinny in those old timey photos.

That's a big part of it:  Cook things from scratch, and you know exactly what you are eating.
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2016, 07:06AM »

Thanks all for the support!

All in all, recovery is going great. I'm digging into practicing more again (was doing very light sessions to keep the chops up enough for the gigs I had, but now I know I'm good to really push myself), and am continuing to drop.

When it comes to food choices, it's definitely better to prep all your own food with fresh produce (or frozen, which can be healthier than fresh because it's frozen at it's peak which preserves the nutrients) and meat. And, I applaud anyone who has that kind of time. My wife and I don't - between her full-time job, my gigging, rehearsals, teaching, chart prep, booking gigs, running multiple groups, and our 2-year old daughter, it's a wonder we have time to cook (which I make a priority). That being said, I don't use foods that are heavily prepared. I use canned tomatoes as a short cut for sauces (basically just tomatoes in there), canned beans (low-sodium variety), etc. I avoid "boxed meals" like the Hamburger Helper and other stuff that line the shelves, we rarely eat pasta (if it was once a month it was a lot, and very little in a serving, and always whole wheat), only bought whole grain breads, etc.

We are all right in the sense that we are not a different species than a 100 years ago, but we are in a different environment. It's only been in the past 50-60 years that we've really seen the level of prosperity where we have abundance, all the time. We are programed to gain weight easily because of the feast and famine cycles we used to endure - now it's all feast. And, because of that, we are starting to see biological changes - the bacterium theory, the way our brains can be rewired (in an article I posted), etc. In addition, our lives have become busier, and it's harder to fit everything in, so more and more of us are turning to convenience foods and restaurants to eat, which is not necessarily a source of healthy food. Until our society values good health, we aren't going to see a lot of changes to support this.

Bradley Madsen
BFA - Trombone Performance, New School Jazz
brad@bradleymadsen.com
http://www.bradleymadsen.com
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2016, 07:42AM »

Thanks all for the support!

All in all, recovery is going great. I'm digging into practicing more again (was doing very light sessions to keep the chops up enough for the gigs I had, but now I know I'm good to really push myself), and am continuing to drop.

When it comes to food choices, it's definitely better to prep all your own food with fresh produce (or frozen, which can be healthier than fresh because it's frozen at it's peak which preserves the nutrients) and meat. And, I applaud anyone who has that kind of time. My wife and I don't - between her full-time job, my gigging, rehearsals, teaching, chart prep, booking gigs, running multiple groups, and our 2-year old daughter, it's a wonder we have time to cook (which I make a priority). That being said, I don't use foods that are heavily prepared. I use canned tomatoes as a short cut for sauces (basically just tomatoes in there), canned beans (low-sodium variety), etc. I avoid "boxed meals" like the Hamburger Helper and other stuff that line the shelves, we rarely eat pasta (if it was once a month it was a lot, and very little in a serving, and always whole wheat), only bought whole grain breads, etc.

We are all right in the sense that we are not a different species than a 100 years ago, but we are in a different environment. It's only been in the past 50-60 years that we've really seen the level of prosperity where we have abundance, all the time. We are programed to gain weight easily because of the feast and famine cycles we used to endure - now it's all feast. And, because of that, we are starting to see biological changes - the bacterium theory, the way our brains can be rewired (in an article I posted), etc. In addition, our lives have become busier, and it's harder to fit everything in, so more and more of us are turning to convenience foods and restaurants to eat, which is not necessarily a source of healthy food. Until our society values good health, we aren't going to see a lot of changes to support this.

Advertising is also a significant problem.  One study showed that food adverts increased consumption in children by 45% (!).

-John
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:14AM »

Just an update. I'm now down 40 lbs ( Amazed ).

I can now eat a limited solid diet (no more purees, yea!!!!) Whole wheat crackers, veggies, and protein - protein is the primary focus, according to my nutritionist, with veggies and crackers being additional.

Feeling absolutely stellar - playing has been fine, can't wait to be able to play my tuba as well (I have a Wessex mini tuba in C that is under the weight limit, so that suffices, but I love playing my Sousa and my big tuba).

Still no real complications, other than needing to switch my multivitamin because it was making me ill. Very minor issue, new ones are great.

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:29AM »

Wow, Brad.  Good going.  Good!  Keep us updated as major changes occur.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:33AM »

I have to wonder if you will experience any loss of high range. I did after a hospital stay with significant weight loss (for my frame). It came back as I gained my body weight and strength back.

...Geezer.
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:11AM »

Haven't lost any high range yet.

Lost some endurance, but I didn't play much for over 2 weeks (started playing light, easy gigs after a week and a half, but waited until I started practicing with more intense sessions to determine how much I could push myself). It's coming back as I keep practicing and gigging.

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: