Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080589 Posts in 71522 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weight Loss Surgery  (Read 7918 times)
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: Apr 18, 2017, 09:48AM »

As promised, I'm back.

I've been SUPER slammed as of late, so I'll have to re-acquaint myself with what's going on with the other boards, but my weight loss is progressing very well!

Back in February, I was down 59 lbs. I'm now down 91 lbs  Amazed. I think I mentioned before I will probably lose somewhere between 100 - 130, so I'm closing in on the low range of that. I also crossed another milestone - I'm now down over 100 lbs from my max weight ever.

To give you all a sense of the roller coaster ride I've been on, things have been good, for the most part, but I started having issues taking my multi-vitamins. If you've read up on this surgery, or any other weight loss surgery, you know that it's vitally important to take them. I had to work closely with my team to solve the issue, but it looks like I'm back on track there (was getting nervous - there are lots of stories out there of people not staying compliant with their vitamins and ending up in the hospital, so this was not something I took lightly).

I did develop some back issues because of the weight loss, believe it or not. I didn't realize I had developed poor posture because I was leaning on my weight as I played, so the muscles that would normally hurt with bad posture were not strained. I've found a great chiropractic and physical therapy practice, however, and they are setting me right.

Other than that, work just stays busy - this week is a little lighter, but then I have 2 shows, and then May and June are always slammed.

Bradley Madsen
BFA - Trombone Performance, New School Jazz
brad@bradleymadsen.com
http://www.bradleymadsen.com
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 18, 2017, 11:09AM »

Wow!  Way to go  Good!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 18, 2017, 01:11PM »

Congratulations!

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: Apr 22, 2017, 02:28AM »

Wow, I have to be better about reading my old posts. I wasn't down 59 in February - I was down 75 lbs, not 59. Either way, that's another 17 lbs.

The nice thing is that, except for the change in portion size due to the surgery, I haven't done much. Haven't made it to the gym because of the back issues, and I just broke my toe, so won't be back there for awhile. I plateaued for a bit, but that was on me - I was not eating as well as I should. But, to be able to say that I didn't gain during that time of not as healthy eating is awesome - and I'm back to eating well again, so it was just a short time.

As a side benefit, I think my migraines are, for the most part, completely resolved. I usually get 3-4 a year as a matter ofncourse. My last one was 2 months before the surgery. So, I'm at 8 months with no migraines. Very, very happy about that!  Good!

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 22, 2017, 11:05AM »

As a side benefit, I think my migraines are, for the most part, completely resolved. I usually get 3-4 a year as a matter ofncourse. My last one was 2 months before the surgery. So, I'm at 8 months with no migraines. Very, very happy about that!  Good!

Mine came back after weight loss.  Weird.  I'm up a few pounds from that and holding steady, and the migraines have abated again. 

Tim Richardson
sterb225

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Apr 22, 2017, 08:08PM »

Thanks to Brad and everyone participating in this thread.  I am going for my first consult this coming week to weigh the surgical options.  I am happy to know that the gap in playing is so short even though I am only a weekend warrior now days and rarely gig anymore.  The issue with back pain is interesting, I'll have to give some though to how I 'use' the lump of fat I carry above my belt when I play so I start correcting bad habits well in advance of it being a thing of the past!   

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
Various G&W
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2017, 07:35AM »

Thanks to Brad and everyone participating in this thread.  I am going for my first consult this coming week to weigh the surgical options.  I am happy to know that the gap in playing is so short even though I am only a weekend warrior now days and rarely gig anymore.  The issue with back pain is interesting, I'll have to give some though to how I 'use' the lump of fat I carry above my belt when I play so I start correcting bad habits well in advance of it being a thing of the past!  

Very excited for you! Definitely worth keeping an eye on your posture - you may not have that issue, but it came out of left field for me. I've basically resolved it, except when I'm in a bad chair (as I was last week for a run of Urinetown), and even then it's manageable.

Wish you all the best on your journey!

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
sterb225

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jul 09, 2017, 06:39PM »

Updating this thread with my current experience.

I am surprised by the number of very comprehensive pre-surgical tests that have been needed.  The down side is the length of time these collectively take to get through and the up side is the depth to which I know in what areas of my physiology there are issues and not.

After meeting the nutritionist, I am starting to practice the type of diet that will be required for my long term post surgical life.  It was quite enlightening to really get down to the basic needs of my metabolism and the best ways to keep myself fueled without gaining weight or losing lean muscle mass in the process.  Even if you are never considering surgical intervention and struggle with weight, a nutritionist can be an amazing help.  I have already lost 20 lbs, in a short period and can predict with deadly accuracy whether or not I will be up or down on the scale in the AM based on what sins I may have or not committed in my eating over the prior day or two.  Knowledge is indeed powerful.

I am nearly complete with all my tests and am looking forward to getting my surgical date.  My surgeon has asked for 4 weeks off the horn to avoid herniating incisions (not worried about the actual surgical site).  I am going to petition for a shorter layoff ... but 4 weeks is not terrible considering I am not making a living on the horn.

Updates to come.

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
Various G&W
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:19AM »

That's great to hear!

I only needed a week and a half off the horn, but my surgeon asked I be conservative in my return (started with very easy gigs, and built up as the weeks passed). But, most important thing is you heal well. And, you will have lifting restrictions, so you have to abide by those (I couldn't play my Sousa or big tuba for 6 weeks, but my mini tuba and all my other horns were in the clear the week and a half after.

I played for my surgeon so they could feel how my abdominal muscles were activated when playing - you may want to consider that so they can better assess how much time you'll need off.

I'm currently hanging out between 95 and 100 lbs lost. I'm finally back at the gym, and very grateful for that. I am very happy with the way I look, and I feel great (although I always did). I miss a few foods I can no longer eat or drink (missing my seltzer, for instance), but I'd rather have all this weight off, so it's a worthwhile trade off. And, staying compliant on my vitamins is easy.

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:30AM »

I always look forward to seeing your updates.

My hat's off to you!

...Geezer

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:45AM »

... I miss a few foods I can no longer eat or drink (missing my seltzer, for instance)...

Why is Seltzer banned?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:54AM »

Why is Seltzer banned?
Because of the gas it produces, maybe?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:10PM »

Why is Seltzer banned?

High in sodium.

Tim Richardson
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:50PM »

Because of the gas it produces, maybe?

Correct - can stretch the stomach out in the worst case (long term drinking of it). Best case, it will just make you sick since the gas needs to go someplace, and since the stomach after surgery doesn't have much give, it comes back up and pushes out the liquid along with the gas.

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
FlamingRain
1. Posaune

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jul 25, 2017, 11:35PM »

Fantastic Brad, it's awesome to hear about your progress with your surgery from a perspective like yours.

Question for you: Did you pursue it because of the possible health risks from being overweight or a body image thing? Just curious what your motivation was.

I guess I can share my side of the coin:

I have a similar background where I have also been heavy since elementary/middle school, but for the most part, especially since high school, I have been very physically able, and I've also been very healthy as well. I've never broken anything, been to the hospital for anything and I've only ever taken antibiotics once for an ear infection.

At my worst, at the end of my first year of my undergrad here, I was at 265 lbs, and that was when I wasn't working out regularly and eating typical freshman dorm BS for a year. I started running 3 times a week, started just cutting down on portions and eating smarter and I went down to 208 by the opening of my Junior year here. I don't know what my weight was but in high school I did lifeguarding for a semester and with how that kicked me into shape I'd imagine my weight was around 208 as well at the time. My high school swim coach wanted me to be on the team even at my weight. On average right now, I run 2.5 to 3 miles about 3 times a week and my average pace is like 9 minutes (it was down near 8:30 for a while...)

I'm hovering around in the same range between 210 and 220 for the last year, and it seems like that whenever I miss a couple of workouts I immediately put the weight directly back on. I've had a blood test and I'm healthy except for one anomaly with my hematocrit which the doc wasnt terribly worried about especially because of my physical shape. I exercise and watch my portions decently well. The only thing that I can think of is that I have a bit of a a sweet tooth but I control it fairly well, just trying to have a small dessert at night...

I'm just curious as to what perspective you came from to help me think about it. I definitely have some body image issues which contribute  anxiety issues that stem from my rough upbringing, my minds tendency to run at 1000mph and my social anxiety.

Sascha Burckhardt

Edwards T396-A
Doug Elliott
XT Lexan N106 - G - G8
YSL-354, YSL-671
XT Lexan N106 - C+ - D3
BMadsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: Aug 07, 2017, 06:53AM »

Fantastic Brad, it's awesome to hear about your progress with your surgery from a perspective like yours.

Question for you: Did you pursue it because of the possible health risks from being overweight or a body image thing? Just curious what your motivation was.

I guess I can share my side of the coin:

I have a similar background where I have also been heavy since elementary/middle school, but for the most part, especially since high school, I have been very physically able, and I've also been very healthy as well. I've never broken anything, been to the hospital for anything and I've only ever taken antibiotics once for an ear infection.

At my worst, at the end of my first year of my undergrad here, I was at 265 lbs, and that was when I wasn't working out regularly and eating typical freshman dorm BS for a year. I started running 3 times a week, started just cutting down on portions and eating smarter and I went down to 208 by the opening of my Junior year here. I don't know what my weight was but in high school I did lifeguarding for a semester and with how that kicked me into shape I'd imagine my weight was around 208 as well at the time. My high school swim coach wanted me to be on the team even at my weight. On average right now, I run 2.5 to 3 miles about 3 times a week and my average pace is like 9 minutes (it was down near 8:30 for a while...)

I'm hovering around in the same range between 210 and 220 for the last year, and it seems like that whenever I miss a couple of workouts I immediately put the weight directly back on. I've had a blood test and I'm healthy except for one anomaly with my hematocrit which the doc wasnt terribly worried about especially because of my physical shape. I exercise and watch my portions decently well. The only thing that I can think of is that I have a bit of a a sweet tooth but I control it fairly well, just trying to have a small dessert at night...

I'm just curious as to what perspective you came from to help me think about it. I definitely have some body image issues which contribute  anxiety issues that stem from my rough upbringing, my minds tendency to run at 1000mph and my social anxiety.

Hey,

I was worried about long term health. My health before the surgery was excellent except for the weight. Great cholesterol, heart rate, ect. As my doctor put it, I was one of her healthiest patients except for the weight. But, I have a fair number of bigger friends and colleagues who are anywhere from 5 - 30 years older than myself. Some took good care of themselves, some didn't. All had some health issues related to their weight, and I didn't want to walk down that path if I could avoid it. After trying for two years to lose weight with diet and excercise (and failing due to my issues with migraines and hunger), I finally sought help.

There are some pretty strict requirements to qualify for the surgery (at least, for insurance purposes). Usually, a BMI of 35+ with two obesity related health issues, or 40+ with none is required to qualify. Some of the health issues that qualify are sleep apnea, heart disease, diabetes, etc, although every insurance carrier is different. I was at a BMI of 44. Then, even if you qualify, there are usually a lot of hoops to jump through to still qualify, including a meeting with a psycho therapist to ensure you are a good candidate mentally for it.

If you can keep the weight off without it, definitely don't have the surgery - unless you are really short, your BMI is probably not high enough, and it's not worth paying out of pocket for it. And there are other attendant things that come with the surgery - you can't eat certain foods anymore (well, some can, but it's not recommended as most can't tolerate them, and they can negate the surgery in the long term), and you have to take a lot of vitamins everyday for the rest of your life. Not worth it if you can manage it on your own. I tried for years with no success, so I knew I needed the help.

Bradley Madsen
brad@bradleymadsen.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: