Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1075929 Posts in 71322 Topics- by 18934 Members - Latest Member: Klwklwmom
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Student and Feminist reaction to the election
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Student and Feminist reaction to the election  (Read 3704 times)
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2016, 04:36PM »

So that makes the suffering of a black American who receives a dubious traffic penalty a bit closer to an enslaved Dhalit sewer-cleaner?

Or do you agree with me that the claims their governments make for their societies don't change the experiences of the two people for better or worse?
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2016, 04:48PM »

So that makes the suffering of a black American who receives a dubious traffic penalty a bit closer to an enslaved Dhalit sewer-cleaner?

Or do you agree with me that the claims their governments make for their societies don't change the experiences of the two people for better or worse?
Where are you from?
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2016, 04:59PM »

Where are you from?

Central Europe
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 15, 2016, 06:31PM »

Are you sure you'll never encounter a non-white traffic policeman who hates the evil white man?

And I have heard that there are neighbourhoods in American cities where white people are given a very very poor welcome. Is this not true? Areas in Paris, Marseille and London are a few examples from Europe that I have experienced personally.
Yes, I'm sure.  And I drive through many of those reported neighborhoods weekly or monthly (Detroit and Dearborn).

Even if I concede that some of those people may exist, the chances that I will draw their ire are less that getting struck by lightning.  For the most part, I could get belligerent with a police officer and not get anything other than a stern talking to.  #gtbw (that's Good To Be White, if you are not into twitter).

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 15, 2016, 06:38PM »

If you have to look this hard for a grievance, it's probably not valid. I'm going to say, without fear of contradiction, that I'm not part of an oppressed group. Unlike you, I'm not setting out to be part of one.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2016, 08:20AM »

Yes, I'm sure. 

How so?
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2016, 09:31AM »

How so?
Hang out around here about 40 years...

Really.  It doesn't happen that way.  It barely happens the other way, just enough to note that it is a difference.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2016, 09:36AM »

I don't normally cotton to complaints about political correctness, because it seems as though people are just complaining about being asked to have decent manners. But on college campuses, the exaggerated fear of giving offense (and the determination to take it) and the ever-more-arcane rules surrounding acceptable behavior are starting to encroach on the educational mission. If you have to call something a 'micro-aggression' it just might not be worth mentioning.

To the extent he has a point, the OP undercuts it by centering his complaint on the fact that the women quoted didn't have the decency to look exactly the way he wants them to. He has an attractive family, but he wouldn't want his wife and daughter spoken of that way, and that's one of the things that people found repellent about Donald Trump.

Trump is a repulsive human being, missing a couple of pieces that people should have, in my opinion. He seems to be completely unqualified to be president. His qualifications seem to center around his business acumen, but his record of actually managing businesses profitably is very spotty, and his main successes have been related to self-promotion and branding. By his own account, he sexually assaults women, and some of his victims have corroborated Trump's account of this behavior.

So people have a right to be upset by his election. I'm absolutely dismayed by his election, not because he's a Republican (I vote for Republicans) but because he's an appalling choice, as many in his party have acknowledged.

I still think the hyperbole and the protests and the puppies and Play Doh and so forth are a bit silly, but let's not forget that not long ago people were talking about this being the last election ever if Hillary won, and promoting the idea that there should be a second American Revolution if Hillary was elected. KY governor Matt Bevin publicly mused that Hillary's election might call for bloodshed.

That certainly puts the OP's complaints in a different perspective. People have a right to complain, and at present an excellent cause for complaint.

Just wanted to make sure this one didn't get ignored and/or lost in the shuffle.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 16, 2016, 12:27PM »

Yes, I thought it was a good post too.

Two of the most poorly regarded US Presidents were Ulysses S Grant and Warren Harding. There are several parallels with Donald Trump. Both had little governmental experience and were neither lawyers nor economists. Both engaged in some dubious financial dealings. Both received criticism on personal moral grounds.

But then, you've also had some "gifted amateurs" who did pretty well. Reagan, Eisenhower, Theodore Roosevelt.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 16, 2016, 03:37PM »

Reagan was the worst thing that happened to this country in the second half of the 20th century.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 16, 2016, 11:14PM »

Weren't there a couple of wars?
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2016, 04:59AM »

Pedantry isn't actually argumentation, though it may seem so to ... well, to some.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2016, 05:35AM »

Neither had the long term destructive impact that the Reagan administration had on the American economy and our middle class.

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:18AM »

Neither had the long term destructive impact that the Reagan administration had on the American economy and our middle class.

There is no doubt that trickle down economics and the Chicago school approach had a devastating effect.

What I wonder about (not being an economist myself) is how much damage globalization would have done anyway.  That's not something we could stop. 

Tim Richardson
badger

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:43AM »

Lena Dunham...Recent FYI:

http://heatst.com/politics/lena-durham-spirit-quest/

I did not know who this woman was until this election. I do not follow such things.
Maybe she found some solace.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:16AM »

There is no doubt that trickle down economics and the Chicago school approach had a devastating effect.

What I wonder about (not being an economist myself) is how much damage globalization would have done anyway.  That's not something we could stop. 

It was not just his "Voodoo, trickle-down" economics, although his tax cuts destroyed our middle class. It was also his de-regulation and dismantling of unions. Certainly globalization and, even more-so, mechanization had effects, but minus the negative impacts of Reagn's policies, those could have been assuaged.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:32AM »

Note that I am pro Union, but:

Reagan could not have strangled the unions by himself.  There were a lot of the Public who felt that Unions had exceeded "normal" expectations.  There were tales of ridiculous rules negotiated by the Unions.  I remember working at a Unionized DuPont plant where you couldn't take a newspaper into a lab or office.  Since the Union guys couldn't read newspapers anywhere they demanded that non-Union people had to have the same limitation.

I also had problems where a machine broke down.  As an Exempt employee I was not allowed to do any repairs.  I also had to figure out WHICH Union specialty was needed for the repair and get just that guy.  A carpenter couldn't touch an electric wire and vice versa.  In fact, I got a warning for carrying a sensor from one end of the plant to another for an experiment.

Tales like these tended to poison the public's mind about Unions.

I later worked in a non-Union shop.  I would do minor repairs on my equipment since the Maintenance crew was overextended.  They often appreciated it when I would have the thing disassembled and show them exactly what they needed to repair (when it was beyond my capability).  I treated them with respect and they treated me with respect.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:38PM »

I'd just like to remind you all that, while Donald Trump merely blusters about groping women, Bill Clinton actually got sucked off in the White House.  Good! So Donald really is a mere amateur beginner.

On a positive note, maybe Donald Trump's background as a businessman - rather than as a lawyer, economist or academic - might give him some helpful insight into supporting small and medium-sized businesses instead of the usual favouritism bought by big businesses. I really hope he's not doing this as a hobby thing for a few years to promote his own brand. Any thoughts?
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2016, 01:18PM »

And I'm slightly puzzled why several here think Ronald Reagan's tax policies were more destructive than two wars with around 200 000 American deaths. Can someone explain?
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov 17, 2016, 01:26PM »

And I'm slightly puzzled why several here think Ronald Reagan's tax policies were more destructive than two wars with around 200 000 American deaths. Can someone explain?

How many people to tax policies effect? I'd say, roughly the population of the US.

Of course, it's apples and oranges- the wars weren't good either.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50T, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: