Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066774 Posts in 70911 Topics- by 18693 Members - Latest Member: Marvin.neal62
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) What Trump's election means for the rest of the world
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Trump's election means for the rest of the world  (Read 14103 times)
badger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2016, 06:32PM »

Well, actually the election of Trump may well be the reason why Europe will take the steering wheel firm in its own hands and pull it's act together, as you call it.

The most astonishing thing from my view is that such a large population can not find a better president than the one elected recently. That seems really a dysfunctional political system.

We may need Legos for the safe spaces!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2016, 06:48PM »

We may need Legos for the safe spaces!

What's wrong with Play-Doh?

How about The Wall being made of Legos? Evil

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2016, 08:09PM »

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:40AM »

This leaped out at me. From the WPost:

"The news comes as Rogers is being considered by President-elect Donald Trump to be his nominee for director of national intelligence to replace Clapper as the official who oversees all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies."

17!
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2016, 05:26PM »

Obama has made his farewell to the APEC summit and was as kind as possible about Trump but urged patience and did not try to forecast his actions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-21/obama-urges-patience-with-trump-praises-administration/8041870

Our PM Malcolm Fraser had a meeting with Obama and it seems the deal for the US to take some of our refugees on Manus Island and Nauru is still on. But there are still many unknown elements. Also I can't see it happening before Trump comes to power and he will almost certainly scotch it.

A lot of the talk at the conference was about the continuation of globalisation, free trade etc., and again that is very much against Trump's ideas on protectionism. I have a feeling the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) will go ahead, even without the US. That will leave American exports very much on the outer because the 12 countries have a collective population of about 800 million - almost double that of the European Union's single market - and the 12-nation would-be bloc is already responsible for 40% of world trade. You can understand why Obama wanted in. China is not part of the TPP.

Personally, I am not a big free trade advocate and I think that every country should have a viable manufacturing capacity, even if it means having some tariffs to protect your own industry. However, that is not the view of our PM, who is a complete dil on the subject.

I think the same forces that put Trump into power are being felt all round the world. The challenge for all governments is to come up with a way to maintain a productive labour force and spread income and wealth across society. The answer is definitely not lower corporate tax because that only inflates the salaries of those at the top. Corporations these days do not have any loyalty to their employees, or even customers and share holders.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:43PM »

As I predicted, and despite Obama still being upbeat about it at APEC in Lima, Trump has vowed to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) on his first day in office. So, he will pull out of the largest trade deal ever in preference to negotiating bilateral deals. The problem with that is there will be no countries to negotiate with if the others go ahead with the deal. Yeah, RIGHT. Same as trying to do individual deals with countries in the European Union. You can't!

Our PM, Malcolm Turnbull said over the weekend, "It may well be that over time the TPP is re-embraced by the United States, by the Congress, or indeed by the President. Free trade really is a long game ... there have been other American administrations in terms of the presidency and in terms of the Congress who have changed their minds."

Anyway, I don't care what Trump does on this one. Not having to compete with American exports in the Pacific region is a plus. But I too have my doubts about free trade deals, as I have mentioned previously. Negotiating the terms needs to be done a lot smarter that our Government have managed previously.

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:57PM »

I want to know how his base reacts when those jobs DON'T come back.  After all, we lost a lot to automation.  Way more than to cheap Chinese labor.

I don't care how good a negotiator "Lyin' Donald" is, I don't think he's going to be able to cut a better deal than TPP or NAFTA.

Bruce Guttman
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:35PM »

I want to know how his base reacts when those jobs DON'T come back. 

His base?  I'm going to say it's not about results for them, it's about the angry attitude.  They love that anger directed toward everyone they imagine to be not-real Americans.

Robert Holmén

vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:52AM »

For me the final nail in the coffin of TTIP  Good!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:58AM »

One of the main reasons for the TPP was for the US and Japan to demonstrate that they were at the helm of Asia Pacific trade. Leaving a vacuum may mean that China assumes that leadership with its own version of the agreement.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-22/could-the-trans-pacific-partnership-survive-if-the-us-pulls-out/8047834

I also now understand how Shinzo Abe was able to get a meeting with Trump on his way to the APEC conference, whereas our PM was not. :D

Did I mention that China is a much bigger market than the US for Australian exports?

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:50AM »

China should be a bigger market for US exports, too.  But they seem not to want to buy what we have to sell.  Guess we need to breed some elephants and rhinos Evil

Bruce Guttman
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:14PM »

Another important thing that the 'rest of the world' has big concerns about is Trump's stated viewpoint on climate change. In the run up to the US election, he repeatedly called climate change a hoax and even suggested the global phenomenon was created by the Chinese to impede American business. Yeah, RIGHT.

In the reality of being elected, but apparently still not held in great esteem by a lot of Americans, Trump is changing some of his viewpoints. He is now signalling a possible dramatic shift on his climate change position, saying he was now keeping an "open mind" on the issue. All as reported by the New York Times' reporters who attended an interview with Trump. After the meeting, he went on to tell one journalist that he thinks there is some connection between climate change and human activity and "clean air is vitally important".

A touch of sanity at last from someone who was looking like a big fool to most of us foreigners. And many Americans, it must be said.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:36PM »

And the latest Trump gaff is his tweet, “many people would like to see Nigel Farage represent Great Britain as their Ambassador to the United States. He would do a great job!”

Interfering in the political appointments of another nation is not a good start for a new President and very undiplomatic. Anyway, the idea was quickly put down by the British government.

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/22/13714066/donald-trump-tweet-britain-nigel-farage-ambassador

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:53PM »

It's horrified a lot of us as well.

Wonder how Trump would feel if Australia came to him and asked for John Kerry to be appointed Ambassador to Australia? :-P

Bruce Guttman
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:58PM »

I don't think we've seen the end of Trump's opinions.

He'll be cranking out new ones as long as he thinks it will get attention.

In January he'll give an Inauguration Address and it will be obsolete 10 minutes later.

Robert Holmén

vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2016, 01:33AM »

And the latest Trump gaff is his tweet, “many people would like to see Nigel Farage represent Great Britain as their Ambassador to the United States. He would do a great job!”

Interfering in the political appointments of another nation is not a good start for a new President and very undiplomatic. Anyway, the idea was quickly put down by the British government.

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/22/13714066/donald-trump-tweet-britain-nigel-farage-ambassador

Thing is graham, Nigel Farage on news programmes yesterday said a) he didn't want the job and b) he would be terrible as an ambassador.

But it would be strange not to use someone who is a close friend of Trump and whom he trusts in some way to establish relations as most of the political class in the UK like many other major countries where so sure that clinton would win that they went on record slagging trump off!

The current British ambassador has spent much of his time smoozing again because he thought she would win with clinton and her cohorts and the incomming administration don't trust him!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:16AM »

I grew up in a Canadian city 300 miles north of Minot,ND air base in the late 1960s. We had air raid sirens on the roofs of our schools and they were tested twice a year. We'd say to the teachers : " We haven't had a cyclone since 1912....why do we keep testing these sirens?"

The teachers would say to us twice a year: " Get under your desks, kids. Yes, we'll not have another cyclone. But when the Russians nuke Minot air base, we're close enough we'll not even hear it. If you're really lucky you might get to see the flash before you're toasted."

Well, it's 50 years later. I'm further north of Minot as I write this.
And it won't be Russians nuking Minot, it'll be Americans nuking each other to rid themselves of Trump.

I have no idea why they are called "civil" wars..there is nothing "civil" about them.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:32AM »

This meeting with Farage is now being discussed because it shows with crystal clarity Trump's absolute lack of ethical foundation and understanding of the concept of "conflict of interest". During the discussion he pushed Farage on the issue of wind turbines off the coast of his golf course in Scotland. THis is going to be a long, ugly four years.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:10AM »

I grew up in a Canadian city 300 miles north of Minot,ND air base in the late 1960s. We had air raid sirens on the roofs of our schools and they were tested twice a year. We'd say to the teachers : " We haven't had a cyclone since 1912....why do we keep testing these sirens?"

The teachers would say to us twice a year: " Get under your desks, kids. Yes, we'll not have another cyclone. But when the Russians nuke Minot air base, we're close enough we'll not even hear it. If you're really lucky you might get to see the flash before you're toasted."

300 miles away... I think you were safe. That would be way outside the blast and radiation radius of any deliverable nuke.

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:11AM »

I think this election has shown the worst characteristics of the Popularity Contest the Primary method of candidate selection has become.  It probably started with Ronnie Reagan.  We don't choose based on competence, we choose based on a bunch of unrelated things that have nothing to do with ability to govern.

We may start a swing back to the "smoke filled rooms" again.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: