Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086936 Posts in 71957 Topics- by 19229 Members - Latest Member: Alfred
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) What Trump's election means for the rest of the world
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Trump's election means for the rest of the world  (Read 27164 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Apr 06, 2017, 07:24PM »

According to the NYT they warned Russia before the strikes so I wonder if there was anything worth destroying left there by the time the missiles arrived.   Don't know

Still, I predict this will be good for a five point uptick in his polling numbers.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Apr 06, 2017, 07:24PM »

Today Trump has taken the most serious step of ordering the firing of a barrage of cruise missiles into Syria in retaliation for this week's chemical weapons attack against civilians. Certainly we are all mortified by Syria's actions but going to war against Syria and Russia is not the answer. What happened to diplomacy? I am certain it would have the support of most of the free world.

We cannot afford to have a man like this with so much power. This kind of action must at least be approved by the US legislature.

I hate to think what kind of retaliation from Syria and Russia will be forthcoming.

I thought this one warranted its own topic.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Apr 11, 2017, 03:37PM »

As if Trump ordering an attack on Syrian forces is not bad enough, we now have the situation with US ships on the way to the Korean peninsula. Worse still is the fact that North Korea has now warned of a nuclear attack on the United States, as Trump tweeted that the rogue nation was "looking for trouble". I think the boot is on the other foot, mate!

Do the people of the United States really want to get involved in a nuclear war? I still can't believe any nation would give a psychopath like Trump so much freedom to cause a world catastrophe. What is the master plan here? Not that I think there is one.

When is the Congress going to stop blocking Trump's domestic actions and realise he is much more a danger as the Commander in Chief? He must be removed from power.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: Apr 11, 2017, 05:31PM »

As if Trump ordering an attack on Syrian forces is not bad enough, we now have the situation with US ships on the way to the Korean peninsula. Worse still is the fact that North Korea has now warned of a nuclear attack on the United States, as Trump tweeted that the rogue nation was "looking for trouble". I think the boot is on the other foot, mate!

Do the people of the United States really want to get involved in a nuclear war? I still can't believe any nation would give a psychopath like Trump so much freedom to cause a world catastrophe. What is the master plan here? Not that I think there is one.

When is the Congress going to stop blocking Trump's domestic actions and realise he is much more a danger as the Commander in Chief? He must be removed from power.

Agreed Graham. 100%

I only hope that they rest of the world realizes that all Americans aren't as batshit crazy as the loose cannon the ill advised elected to office.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Apr 12, 2017, 04:31PM »

This is an interesting article from today's news, reporting on the thoughts of Gareth Evans, one of Australia's ex Foreign Ministers. I think he is only summarising the conclusions of many Aussies after we have observed the ridiculous performance of Trump as US Pres:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-13/gareth-evans-blasts-donald-trump-urges-pivot-to-asia/8441444

Evans is particularly angry about what he says is Australia's "absolute capitulation to US pressure" not to take part in international efforts towards nuclear disarmament. Me too!!! >:(

I wish John was still here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZC7sqImaM

Grah

And climb on every rung
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Apr 12, 2017, 04:38PM »

Gotta admit... I feel bad for the aussies. They have been such strong and steadfast allies... and the US couldn't care less. Many civilians don't even know they go to war with us again and again. Even the new president didn't seem to know, and was ready to heighten tensions with one of our closest allies at the get go. I don't think being so closely coupled to us is really in the Australian interests.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Apr 18, 2017, 07:18PM »

It seems the "very powerful" US Navy armada which the Trump administration said was heading towards the Korean Peninsula was all a big lie. They are actually doing exercises with the Australian Navy:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-18/china-has-to-take-action-against-north-korea-turnbull-says/8451512

So I wonder why our PM was so enthusiastic about the decision to send the armada? Was he just backing up the bluff or did someone forget to tell him what was going on?

Anyway, I still think Trump is playing with fire and will get badly burned.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Apr 18, 2017, 08:19PM »

Sail the black ships into the harbour, impress the natives.

It'll look good on the nightly news.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017, 09:41AM by Ellrod » Logged
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Apr 18, 2017, 08:29PM »

Actually, i think the bluff was worth doing. It apparently cost nothing since the forces were moving anyway and reminds NK that those forces are out there, close enough to be moved back in fairly quickly.

NK can wonder... sure, it looks like the surface ships went on to Australia but what if they were being shadowed by a US sub that peeled off and is still hanging around near NK?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Apr 19, 2017, 04:10AM »

How can you tell Drumpf is lying.........

I have a friend in the US Navy. He deploys to the So.China Sea in a regular rotation. We ALWAYS have a Navy presence in that neighborhood. We just don't usually make it public knowledge.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Apr 19, 2017, 05:26AM »

It begs the question of (and casts the spotlight on) his "popularity" issues. Is he mostly just playing to his base because they're being neglected (as they must be for any high level politician who accepts at least some degree of reality)? Is he playing to the larger population of Americans who think of foreign affairs more or less like football? And will the Carl Vinson Strike Group be able to keep Trump's "popularity" from sinking unrecoverably below the surface? In any case we know it's more than worth the operational costs to Trump--even if it weren't just part of standard issue Naval ops.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Apr 19, 2017, 05:38AM »

How can you tell Drumpf is lying.........

I have a friend in the US Navy. He deploys to the So.China Sea in a regular rotation. We ALWAYS have a Navy presence in that neighborhood. We just don't usually make it public knowledge.

Is your friend divulging classified information?

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Apr 19, 2017, 05:59AM »

If by "classified information" you really mean "information I would rather pretend isn't real" like most enamored with the whole Alternative Facts™ schtick, then clearly so. But to those who recognize reality outside of their own perceptual and ideological arrays ... not very damn likely. Most of us can't slip the awareness of things so obvious as the fact that fleets of enormous naval vessels are pretty noticeable into the nether regions of our consciousness like Alt-Facters do on a standard operational basis.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Apr 19, 2017, 08:39AM »

If stating that there is a US Naval presence in the South China Sea (near a US base in the Philippines) is not already known to China they have some really awful surveillance.  Now stating exactly when he is deploying and exactly where he is going would be a different matter.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Apr 19, 2017, 09:49AM »

From The Atlantic:

"The confusion might never have become public if not for another miscue: The Navy posted a picture of the Vinson steaming through the Sunda Strait in Indonesia, far from where the White House had placed it—a case of the government failing to take simple steps to cover its own tracks."

Classified info? Not very.

Impressive? Apparently not. From Reuters:

'America's allies in Asia were silent on Wednesday over confusion about a U.S. aircraft carrier group that was supposed to be headed toward North Korea in a show of force, but was actually completing training exercises in Australia.

But many Chinese took to social media to joke about it.

"American imperialism is a paper tiger," said one user on Weibo, China's version of Twitter.

"The aircraft carrier was sleep-walking," said another.'

Maybe Trump was distracted by more serious issues. Like cheese.

"After what has been a relatively warm beginning in relations with Canada, which included what was seen by many as a positive trip to Washington by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Trump dropped the gloves on Canada's well-guarded dairy sector. ...

Trump, however, blamed Canada for "some very unfair things have happened to our dairy farmers and others and we're going to start working on that."
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: Apr 19, 2017, 01:23PM »

From the Guardian:

"Thanks to Donald Trump, the international community now knows that the United States is a force to be reckoned with.

Gone are the days when dictators and allies alike disdained a professorial president who preferred nuclear diplomacy to nuclear war. If only Barack Obama had played more golf at luxury resorts, his successor would not have to bring such golden luster to such a copper world.

Less than 100 days into this presidency, it is blissfully clear what kind of leader Trump is. He has made the awesome transition from a neophyte candidate into a neophyte president; from a man who bluffed and blustered his way in TV debates to a man who bluffs and blusters his way through international crises.

Here is a small-time businessman who knew nothing about foreign affairs, who has grown into a nuclear-armed president who knows nothing about foreign affairs. He used to fire B-list celebrities on TV; now he just fires off Tweets and Tomahawks after watching TV.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Apr 19, 2017, 02:17PM »

From the Guardian:

"Thanks to Donald Trump, the international community now knows that the United States is a force to be reckoned with.

Gone are the days when dictators and allies alike disdained a professorial president who preferred nuclear diplomacy to nuclear war. If only Barack Obama had played more golf at luxury resorts, his successor would not have to bring such golden luster to such a copper world.

Less than 100 days into this presidency, it is blissfully clear what kind of leader Trump is. He has made the awesome transition from a neophyte candidate into a neophyte president; from a man who bluffed and blustered his way in TV debates to a man who bluffs and blusters his way through international crises.

Here is a small-time businessman who knew nothing about foreign affairs, who has grown into a nuclear-armed president who knows nothing about foreign affairs. He used to fire B-list celebrities on TV; now he just fires off Tweets and Tomahawks after watching TV.

That's awesome!

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Apr 19, 2017, 04:18PM »

From the Guardian:

I seriously doubt the accuracy of the first two paragraphs of the above article from the Guardian. The second two paragraphs are right on the ball. Nothing Trump has done so far has been good for international affairs. All he has achieved so far is to bring us to the brink of a nuclear war, which will affect nations closer to North Korea such as Japan. Kim probably does not have a missile capable of reaching the US yet but one of the main population centres of South Korea is only 40Km away and they will be wiped off the map if North Korea decides to call Trumps bluff.

I think this article sums up the situation best:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-12/attacking-north-korea-surely-trump-couldnt-be-that-foolish/8439370

Also, lets get the facts straight about the so called armada. The US ships were always on their way to take place in exercises with the Australian navy. We now know that that plan was never changed. Trump just lied is saying they had been diverted to the North Korean peninsula. Australia originally chose not to correct that lie and, like I said previously, I am not even sure that our PM had been advised of what was going on.

I also have to tell you that our PM is now taking a many leafs out of Trump's book with 'Australia first' rhetoric and actions. He has turned out to be a total failure as a PM and has got me very worried. I don't think he is quite as stupid as Trump but not far off.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-20/migrants-to-face-tougher-tests-for-australian-citizenship/8456392

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Apr 19, 2017, 06:16PM »

Yeah, RIGHT. The story from the White House about the armada heading to North Korea has changed yet again. They are apparently still on the way and only stopped off in Australia for the exercises:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-20/trump-denies-misleading-over-armada-heading-towards-north-korea/8456458

I think they changed the story because Trump was made to look like the idiot he obviously is.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:05PM »

You don't have to classify information to keep Trump voters from knowing about it. You just have to publish it in a reputable news source.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: