Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092465 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) What Trump's election means for the rest of the world
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Trump's election means for the rest of the world  (Read 32476 times)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: Dec 07, 2017, 11:17PM »

You don't read very well. No need to waste time here.

Don't blame you for giving up, because you're getting trounced. Your calling rape victims liars is reliably, consistently, and predictably based on the rapists' party. You can't show the other forum members where you broke your pattern even once.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:42AM »

I'm applying reasons for the way I think about what's going on. I listed them.

There is a difference between reasons (based in fact) and rationalizations (based in wishful thinking).

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:04AM »

There is a difference between reasons (based in fact) and rationalizations (based in wishful thinking).

I know, and it will be wonderful when you guys start basing your rationalizations on fact. It would sure clean up the purely politics threads.  Evil

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:52AM »

I know, and it will be wonderful when you guys start basing your rationalizations on fact. It would sure clean up the purely politics threads.  Evil

See, there you go again, peddling lies as truth.  You don't do yourself any favors, do you. 
badger

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:35PM »

Black’s Law Dictionary defines “forgery” as follows (original emphasis):

forgery, n. 1. The act of fraudulently making a false document or altering a real one to be used as if genuine … 2. A false or altered document made to look genuine by someone with the intent to deceive … 3. Under the Model Penal Code, the act of fraudulently altering, authenticating, issuing, or transferring a writing without appropriate authorization.

Note that forgery includes altering a real document. It does not matter if part of the document — say, the signature — is real. If any part of the document is altered and presented as original and authentic, it is a forgery and the entire document is legally useless — or worse than useless, since it impeaches the credibility of the person presenting it.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:05PM »

A) it is not a document of any sort what so ever, and B) Unless the sex crimes unit of the local PD and the local DA step up and do their freakin' jobs, this probably never be a legal issue. So, objection over ruled.

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:36PM »

Black’s Law Dictionary defines “forgery” as follows (original emphasis):

forgery, n. 1. The act of fraudulently making a false document or altering a real one to be used as if genuine … 2. A false or altered document made to look genuine by someone with the intent to deceive … 3. Under the Model Penal Code, the act of fraudulently altering, authenticating, issuing, or transferring a writing without appropriate authorization.

Note that forgery includes altering a real document. It does not matter if part of the document — say, the signature — is real. If any part of the document is altered and presented as original and authentic, it is a forgery and the entire document is legally useless — or worse than useless, since it impeaches the credibility of the person presenting it.

"Fraudulently" is the keyword that you're missing. If altering a genuine document were inherently forgery, then scribbling a note on a news article or photo would be forgery. Fox News backed away from the word 'forgery' because it wasn't accurate.

If you want to defend a pedophile, go ahead, but you have to do better than that.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:11PM »

The latest worldwide disapproval for dopey Donald is due to his blackmail threat. He has threatened to cut off financial aid to countries that vote in favour of a draft United Nations resolution calling for the United States to withdraw its decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

And what kind of Ambassador to the United Nations says that she "will be taking names" during the General Assembly vote?

Personally, I do not think we need the US in world affairs these days because they have such a stupid leader. I certainly believe the rest of us should radically change the structure of the Security Council and take away the power of veto from the US, as they should from China, France, Russia and the United Kingdom.

It's not hard to see why Dopey Donald admires Putin. The latter has created a state in which he controls the message, and constructed a narrative where he himself is the sole protector of his people, threatened by a hostile world. Yeah, RIGHT.

We need a new order in this world. One not influenced by idiot bullying leaders.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:28PM »

Pence had to cancel his trip to the Middle East because he was going to be embarassed and snubbed while he was there. We are a true embarassment in the world these days.

BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:28AM »

Trump is just a gobshite a sshole bully.

This vote is about doing the right thing.  Preserving the few shreds of peace between Israelis and the Palestinians - but he's willing to threaten others to get his way and cause an eruption.

You know, maybe he has a thing, eh?  It's obvious that the best way to deal with people that feel marginalized is to aggravate them.

I diot

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:10AM »

I wonder what Canada/Justin will do. We're getting slapped around on trade issues (NAFTA, Bombardier, softwood lumber) as it is. I suppose if Canada were to vote against the US, Trump could try to cancel NAFTA and it's likely that Congress would go along with it.

Edited to add: Canada abstains. Shameful.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: Dec 21, 2017, 01:59PM »

I wonder what Canada/Justin will do. We're getting slapped around on trade issues (NAFTA, Bombardier, softwood lumber) as it is. I suppose if Canada were to vote against the US, Trump could try to cancel NAFTA and it's likely that Congress would go along with it.

Edited to add: Canada abstains. Shameful.

A total of 128 countries defied Dopey Donald and backed the United Nations General Assembly resolution calling for the United States to drop its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. The resolution states that Mr Trump's bid has "no legal effect" and is "null and void". Plus, nine voted against and 35 abstained.

I am also am ashamed, because I have to tell you that Australia is among the countries that abstained from voting. But that is typical of our Liberal/National Party coalition government, and a Prime Minister, in Malcolm Turnbull, who does not even have the backing of many of his own party and is frightened to go against the ultra conservatives who did not want to upset Dopey Donald.

I will admit that Australian UN Ambassador Gillian Bird was not entirely behind Trump. She said, "Australia wanted to see the US continue to play a leadership role in brokering peace and that is why we abstained from the vote". She went on to tell the General Assembly after the vote, "There is much in this resolution with which we agree. We do not, however, consider that this further resolution in addition to the many on the peace process issued by the general assembly helps brings the parties back to the negotiating table."  Yeah, RIGHT. You can't have your cake and eat it Miss Ambassador. Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

I feel that both the US and Australia are presently governed by idiots!

Grah

And climb on every rung
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: Dec 21, 2017, 02:08PM »

In this case an abstained vote is a vote against the fool.  It is a little cowardly, but given the  kind of jerk Trump is it may have  been the best move if your economy depends heavily on maintaining a working relationship with the current Whitehouse.  I fell sure Trudeau would like to have cast a vote against Trump, but discretion being the better part of valour...

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:48PM »

Well here's a turn-up for the books. According to today's Aussie press, ex the New York Times, Donald Trump aide's booze-fuelled admission to Australian Ambassador Alexander Downer 'helped spark the FBI probe into Russian election interference in the US election.

The New York Times claims the whole FBI probe came after Downer had a night of drinking with former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos, who admitted that Russia was shopping dirt on Hillary Clinton to her political rivals.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-31/alexander-downer-allegedly-linked-to-us-russia-investigation/9295180

I am not sure if Downer's action resulted in the recent changes to his London appointment, but our ex Attorney-General will now replace Alexander Downer as Australia's High Commissioner to the United Kingdom; they say as part of a reshuffle of Malcolm Turnbull's Cabinet. It is true that High Commissioners are usually political appointments but I am very suspicious that Downer is being replaced because of the above Russian scandal. Downer himself was previously Minister for Foreign Affairs from 1996 to 2007, and earlier served as leader of the Liberal Party from 1994 to 1995.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:33AM »

See, there you go again, peddling lies as truth.  You don't do yourself any favors, do you.

Do you really expect different?

Can anyone really, rationally, expect different at this point?

How this pattern apparently wasn't obvious to everyone ~10 years ago is kind of a mystery though.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:05PM »

Well here's a turn-up for the books. According to today's Aussie press, ex the New York Times, Donald Trump aide's booze-fuelled admission to Australian Ambassador Alexander Downer 'helped spark the FBI probe into Russian election interference in the US election.

The New York Times claims the whole FBI probe came after Downer had a night of drinking with former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos, who admitted that Russia was shopping dirt on Hillary Clinton to her political rivals.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-31/alexander-downer-allegedly-linked-to-us-russia-investigation/9295180

I am not sure if Downer's action resulted in the recent changes to his London appointment, but our ex Attorney-General will now replace Alexander Downer as Australia's High Commissioner to the United Kingdom; they say as part of a reshuffle of Malcolm Turnbull's Cabinet. It is true that High Commissioners are usually political appointments but I am very suspicious that Downer is being replaced because of the above Russian scandal. Downer himself was previously Minister for Foreign Affairs from 1996 to 2007, and earlier served as leader of the Liberal Party from 1994 to 1995.

I'm not sure I understand the political downside/scandal for Mr. Downer.

Is it that Australia should not have warned the US? Somehow Australia wanted Trump to win?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:32PM »

I'm not sure I understand the political downside/scandal for Mr. Downer.

Is it that Australia should not have warned the US? Somehow Australia wanted Trump to win?

The downside is that Australia now becomes even more unpopular with Trump for spilling the information to the FBI. The government feels we need to keep on the good side of Trump for many defence and trading reasons, particularly where the American President has the main control. It seems it was not even Downer himself who passed on the info but unnamed Australian officials who passed on the Downer intel to American counterparts. The accusation is that Australia started the whole FBI probe, as per the New York Times article, "The ball was set rolling after a tip from a trusted ally, with Australia's very own Alexander Downer front and centre."

Nobody else except for me made the connection between the above and Alexander Downer being replaced in London. However, I now find I was wrong, because Downer's term as Higher Commissioner was always due to end at the end of 2017. But I was not wrong about the fact that the whole thing has made us unpopular with the Trump camp. It might also help to explain that first disastrous phone call between our PM Malcolm Turnbull and Trump. :D

Grah

And climb on every rung
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:51PM »

I think all you need to do is plant another story saying someone else was responsible.  Like Hillary.  Or Obama! Makeup a picture of Obama drinking with Papadopolous.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:05PM »

The Trump matter most upsetting the rest of the world today is his remarks, reportedly referring to Haiti, El Salvador and other African nations, as "shithole countries". In fact, he has provoked worldwide anger. The condemnation has not just been confined to those African countries described as "shithole" but has been coming from all over.

I'm afraid it's not only "America first" but America alone if he is allowed to carry on this way.

I read that Trump has since denied that he had used such derogatory language but the consensus says he did. And that opinion is growing, with Republicans among those condemning him. Also the US ambassador to Panama resigned in protest.

I am not surprised that Trump still has many supporters even over this issue. There was a huge undertow of racism when I lived in America at the end of the seventies and I would not expect that to have changed much. Not everybody of course, and I appreciate that on this latest issue many would have been very upset by the extremely awkward spectacle of the President being peppered with questions about whether he was racist, while standing with members of the family of Reverend Martin Luther King.

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:30PM »

Trump is an example of a Party from 150 years ago called the "Know Nothings".  They were xenophobic towards new (for then) immigrants from Germany and Ireland).  Isolationist.  Bigoted.  Just the type we really don't want to be known as.

I thought George W. Bush was bad.  This is considerably worse.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: