Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086936 Posts in 71957 Topics- by 19229 Members - Latest Member: Alfred
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) What Trump's election means for the rest of the world
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Trump's election means for the rest of the world  (Read 27165 times)
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:19PM »

Is your friend divulging classified information?
Have not seen you participation in while Dusty.  I honestly missed it.

However, your response here implies you live in a veiled 'world'.  If the Chinese (or more correctly, the entire world) does not know the US armada is keeping vigilance in the south China sea, then they must be intentionally blind or fast asleep.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Willy de Woofer

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:34PM »

The most people in the Netherlands don't take Mr.Trump serious. One moment he is saying yes and a few days later it's no.
We are afraid of World War 3.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:54PM »

The most people in the Netherlands don't take Mr.Trump serious. One moment he is saying yes and a few days later it's no.
We are afraid of World War 3.

Well, you're sort of taking him seriously, then.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Willy de Woofer

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Apr 20, 2017, 10:03PM »

Well, you're sort of taking him seriously, then.

We don't know what people like Trump and Petin really think and intend to do. It's all about money.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Apr 20, 2017, 11:06PM »

As you know, I too am far from impressed with the unpredictable behaviour from Trump. However, we are about to get a visit in Australia from US Vice-President Mike Pence, a man considered by Australian officials to be the "calm, sane and measured" presence in President Donald Trump's White House. I wonder? Anyway, he will arrive in Sydney tonight for a visit that is expected to focus on regional security concerns and trade.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Apr 20, 2017, 11:56PM »

As you know, I too am far from impressed with the unpredictable behaviour from Trump. However, we are about to get a visit in Australia from US Vice-President Mike Pence, a man considered by Australian officials to be the "calm, sane and measured" presence in President Donald Trump's White House. I wonder? Anyway, he will arrive in Sydney tonight for a visit that is expected to focus on regional security concerns and trade.

To the extent he's considered "calm, sane and measured" he benefits from standing next to Trump. With respect to foreign affairs, he's more stable than Trump. On other issues, he's a bit of a jihadist.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Apr 21, 2017, 04:23AM »

To the extent he's considered "calm, sane and measured" he benefits from standing next to Trump. With respect to foreign affairs, he's more stable than Trump. On other issues, he's a bit of a jihadist.

Yes. He is a great example of America's answer to the Taliban.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Apr 21, 2017, 04:55PM »

It seems that the main reason for the visit of Mike Pence is to mend a few diplomatic fences broken down by Trump in that first phone call between he and our PM Malcolm Turnbull. It is a kiss and make-up trip because the US needs every ally it can get in the Pacific, mainly because of the North Korea situation.

Pence arrived last night and today will be holding talks with the Turnbull Government. He will also meet Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, and host a gathering of American business leaders.

On Sunday Mr Pence and his family will have the opportunity to explore key Sydney landmarks, during a tour of the Harbour. So, certainly there is at least one day for him to look forward to in the trip. :D Good!

The visit is not in any way impressing Sydney residents due to the extraordinary security measures. These are badly affecting Sydney traffic because of clearways in and around the Sydney CBD, Kirribilli, and Mosman from today until Monday. A lot of traffic disruptions caused by the road closures, necessary when the motorcade hits a particular area. This is combined with the much increased security for ANZAC day, which is next Tuesday, the day after he leaves. The Anzac Day parades are seen as a potential target for terrorism.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:58PM »

VP Mike Pence has met with our PM Malcolm Turnbull and they have given a bit of a press conference. Apart from the 'mateship' talk, Pence thanked Turnbull for calling on China to exert more pressure on North Korea. But he also said that the Trump administration and its allies will "deal" with North Korea if China does not force the rogue state to abandon its nuclear weapons program.

Pence would not rule out the use of military force in North Korea, but did say the US was focussed on diplomacy at this stage.

Turnbull said it was "self-evident" China had the capacity to bring more pressure to bear on North Korea. But he brushed off questions about whether Australia would join any military strike on the regime in the future, saying "We are quietly confident, I would say, that China will step up to this challenge and responsibility." I wish I was as confident.   

Grah

And climb on every rung
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09:02PM »

sabre rattling

US attacks DPRK.

DPRK attacks Seoul.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Apr 22, 2017, 03:49PM »

The "sabre rattling" is turning into something more serious!

North Korea has issued a stern and frightening message to Australia, accusing our Government of "blindly toeing the US line" and warning of a possible nuclear strike if it persists. :-0

Supposedly the comments came after our Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said that North Korea's nuclear weapons program posed a "serious threat" to Australia unless it was stopped by the international community.

We do not have diplomatic relations with North Korea but it is reported that "a spokesman" for the North Korean Foreign Ministry is accusing Australia of "spouting a string of rubbish" and warned against us following the US line - a line being strongly pushed by our PM during the visit here by Mike Pence.

The spokesman went on to say, "If Australia persists in following the US' moves to isolate and stifle North Korea … this will be a suicidal act of coming within the range of the nuclear strike of the strategic force of North Korea." This is what I was always frightened about! We know they can't reach the US (yet! ) with their missiles but South Korea and Australia are obvious targets as the main allies of the US.

I have been very concerned about Trumps irrational spouting about North Korea but I will say that, if the plan was to get China to intervene, it wasn't a bad one. Except I don't think Trump has a brain for that kind of strategic planning. But somebody in the current White House might have. I just do not have a lot of confidence that China will do anything against what is, let's face it, one of its allies.

These are frightening times and I just wish we had leaders better than Pres Trump and our PM Turnbull driving the ship.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Apr 22, 2017, 04:12PM »

I see Kim Jong-Un humming "I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons" as he hits the launch button.

Yeah maybe China will help the Americans. But what is the flight time of a missle aimed at S China? 2000 km.
Or Tokyo 1200 km. Or Sydney? 8000 km.

Pyongyang is 200 km from Seoul. Referring to your point below Bruce, Kim Jong-un is holding S Korea hostage. He may have dreams of reuniting Korea, while China and Japan have been traditional enemies of Korea.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Apr 22, 2017, 04:19PM »

Right now, given the tests he has done to date, Kim Jung Un can probably hit South Korea from the edge of the DMZ.  Japan is iffy.  Even Seoul is iffy.  And if he does that, Pyongyang will become a radioactive crater.

Maybe if he gets lucky he might be able to hit Sarah Palin's house (after all, she can see Russia from her back yard ;-) ).

It is a little scary with two hair trigger egos with launch buttons. :-0

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: Apr 22, 2017, 06:59PM »

Right now, given the tests he has done to date, Kim Jung Un can probably hit South Korea from the edge of the DMZ.  Japan is iffy.  Even Seoul is iffy.  And if he does that, Pyongyang will become a radioactive crater.

Maybe if he gets lucky he might be able to hit Sarah Palin's house (after all, she can see Russia from her back yard ;-) ).

It is a little scary with two hair trigger egos with launch buttons. :-0

Your assessment is too optimistic. They've always been able to pepper Seoul with conventional weapons across the DMZ. Depending on their increased capabilities (and our top secret abilities to screw them up), they can do worse than that now.

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Apr 22, 2017, 07:09PM »

Only 6000 km from Pyongyang to Anchorage.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Apr 22, 2017, 07:59PM »

Only 7,914 km to Brisbane. Eeek! Actually 8,515 km to Sydney.

I would not take too much notice of that recent launch failure. Everybody experiences those and Kim certainly had bigger ICBMs and launchers on display in its recent annual military parade. Their Taepodon-2 missile has a range of 15,000 km, which could also reach some places in the US.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/15/asia/north-korea-missiles-parade/

Grah

And climb on every rung
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:39PM »

North Korea's problem is that they have no "pre-emptive strike" option.  There's nothing they can hit first that would stop us from striking back.

Once they launch an attack on South Korea, or Japan or the US, the gloves are off and they will be fried.

Our problem is that they may not recognize that.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:59PM »

It's unlikely in my opinion that the PDRK would strike first. What would be the point?

OTOH, attacks by the US using conventional weapons might easily provoke a nuclear response. Assuming the US is out of range, its allies, notably Japan, would be its most likely target.

All my opinion of course.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Apr 23, 2017, 06:47AM »

The argument for a US first strike sooner rather than later is that North Korea probably can't put a nuke on a missile yet.

They can launch a lot of conventional warheads at South Korea or Japan, but that's it.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: Apr 23, 2017, 08:28AM »

But, if the US nukes North Korea as a first strike, there is the very real possibility that China would retaliate.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: