Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080909 Posts in 71551 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Faux Nuze  (Read 5099 times)
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:55PM »

I think the EC would be doing its constitutional duty if they voted for someone else, but I neither expected nor hoped it would happen. Given all the circumstances, it would be a calamity.

We are destined for a calamity, one way or another. That calamity occuring because the Constitution, as written, worked as it was designed would, almost certainly, have been preferable to the calamity we are in store for. I can only hope it doesn't end with the world blowing up. I am only marginally hopeful.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:17PM »

We are destined for a calamity, one way or another. That calamity occuring because the Constitution, as written, worked as it was designed would, almost certainly, have been preferable to the calamity we are in store for. I can only hope it doesn't end with the world blowing up. I am only marginally hopeful.

I disagree, Russ. A lot of what we deal with is tradition, not the letter of the Constitution. The people on this forum who think the constitution is sacrosanct, and that the Electoral College is just ducky when it turns up the right result, wouldn't have been so sanguine if it performed its constitutional mandate (per Hamilton) and overrode the results of the election.

And the dopes on this forum are nowhere near as dopey as many of the dopes who would rise up if they didn't get their way with Trump. The EC overruling the states' votes is perfectly reasonable and constitutional, but it hasn't happened for a long time. And the average Trump voter is much less educated (as a matter of fact) and probably much better armed (most likely) than the average anti-Trump voter. A lot of police and military voted for Trump. You don't want to see what would happen if an unprecedented move deprives them of their 'revolution'. Even a Trump presidency is better.

I prayed for Trump to win in the EC, but God doesn't listen to me much anymore, and with good reason. I got my wish in this case, but perhaps He was intervening, not on my behalf, but on behalf of some doofus waving a Confederate flag and saying 'Get over it, you lost.'

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:23AM »

Confederate flag wavers telling anti-Trumpers to "Hurry up and get over it" while waving the flag from the side that lost - in 1865!

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Dec 21, 2016, 11:47AM »

Confederate flag wavers telling anti-Trumpers to "Hurry up and get over it" while waving the flag from the side that lost - in 1865!

I hoped someone would catch that. It's not original--I saw it in a Facebook meme.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
badger

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Dec 21, 2016, 03:52PM »

Is this Faux or merely opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poa5h6xAvR8

Don't know
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:11PM »

Is this Faux or merely opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poa5h6xAvR8

Don't know

I'm using a computer without sound, so I didn't watch this, but based on the headline, I don't think opinion is 'fake news'. It's certainly arguable whether multiculturalism is beneficial to Germany, so it's not the equivalent of a made-up story.

There are hundreds of thousands of people who believe that an FBI agent was murdered because he leaked Hillary's emails, or that Obama signed a bill outlawing the Pledge of Allegiance, etc., etc. These stories aren't just disagreeable interpretations of fact, or carefully and misleadingly card-stacked arguments--they're deliberate fabrications created out of whole cloth, either for sport, political advantage, or profit.

The 'fake news' phenomena is important because there's plenty to discuss without the complication of introducing deliberate falsehoods into the mix. If we're all starting with the same facts, there's a lot of discussion available as to the benefits and detriments of multiculturalism, and how it can be managed to maximize the former and minimize the latter.

I don't think Fox News is 'fake news', in the new and strictest sense. The 'Faux News' epithet (which I don't use) doesn't mean that they're spreading made-up stories, but that in some people's eyes they're not a real news station.

The 'fake news' term is being co-opted into meaninglessness. That's partly deliberate on the part of people who benefit politically from the spread of fake news stories and want to draw attention away from it by using it for nearly everything. As has been pointed out, the true practitioners of this dark art concentrate on pro-Trump stories because that's who falls for them. So people with a stronger sense of partisanship than honesty have a stake in letting the fake stories continue and creating a diversion by pointing at legitimate stories and contrary opinion and saying, "Hey, look here! This is fake, too!"

For the record, there's a lot of stupid opinion and poor reporting out there, but it's not fake news to me.

If we use it to describe interpretations of events that we might not find amenable (like your clip, perhaps), or to describe truthful and accurate reporting about actual events that we wish didn't happen (as in DDickerson using the term to describe the media's accurate reporting of CIA findings on Russia's involvement in the election), we distract from our one area of agreement--that it's better if our opinions, even if different, are at least based on things that weren't made up.

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:22PM »

You people just don't get it.

You believed the fake news just like the fake news had everybody hoping that the electors were going to change their vote. You see how That went.

Okay, put your money where your mouth is.

My main newspaper is the New York Times. That's certainly part of the mainstream media. Their stories are available on line. Can you link to the 'fake story' on this subject? I read a lot of accurate stories reporting that some people were hoping that this happened, and describing the legalities therein, and accurately reporting that one elector had publicly announced his plan to do so. None of that was fake news, because it's true.

The stories I read included accurate quotes from knowledgeable people who asserted that the chances of this changing the outcome of the election were very low.

So, why don't you demonstrate your own honesty by linking to the New York Times story (or any other respected 'MSM' publication)--just one story--that indicated that Donald Trump would likely lose in the Electoral College.

I think you long ago lost that subtle distinction between 'fake' and 'real'.

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:18PM »

I think you long ago lost that subtle distinction between 'fake' and 'real'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ofWFx525s

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: