Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073266 Posts in 71199 Topics- by 18863 Members - Latest Member: bonethug9000
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 12c mouthpiece with large shank?  (Read 1516 times)
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:44PM »

I was in a similar situation. I play a Bach 7C and/or Bach 7. I always struggled with playing a large bore horn.
I saw Doug Elliott at the ITA conference at Eastman, he put together a mouthpiece for me that works amazing.
I have the 98 rim (which is Doug`s 7C-ish rim) and the F cup and F8 shank.
If the 12/11C -ish rim fells the best for you, talk to doug

RETIRED
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2017, 03:37PM »

Some players really do need small rim diameters due to their facial structure and embouchure type.  I have known a few players like that.

However, the OP is a high school student and it sounds like he's likely just having typical trouble adjusting to playing a large bore horn.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
ALT

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2017, 06:18PM »

I have known players who could use as small as a 95 (smaller than 12C) successfully on a large bore horn... for commercial playing, not classical.

My understanding of your mouthpiece system is that you get a rim that suits the player, and a cup that suits the style.
Does style have an influence on what rim you would use, and, is there any factor/scenario that would lead you (personally) to using a smaller rim?

Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2017, 07:25PM »

The rim I use is the size that works best for me, in all situations, and doesn't matter what kind of playing I'm doing.  For me, I play a very large rim and a smaller rim gives me less range and endurance.  There are a lot of examples of my playing on YouTube and it's all on the same rim.  For the most part it's probably on the same cup too.

Your understanding of my system is correct.  But not everybody wants to do it that way.

ALT

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2017, 08:07PM »

Sure. Have checked out several of your clips/recordings, Doug - excellent playing indeed!

I suppose my question was more relating to your comment about a 12C on a large bore "for commercial playing, not classical".

Does playing a 12C on a large bore, if that is the rim size that works best for a player, have negative implications in playing certain styles? Or is that a matter for the 'C' cup, and not the rim. I know you've commented elsewhere you use a larger rim when playing bass bone parts, for various reasons.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2017, 09:08PM »

The players I've known who use small rim sizes on large bore horns have all been commercial players.  I think a small rim probably limits the potential "classical sound" at volume for anybody.

JayPee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2017, 08:48PM »

I DO have a Bach 12C-T mouthpiece, with a large shank. It is quite good in the upper register on a large horn but suffers, with me playing it, in the low register, below C in the bass clef.Intonation, for me, is problematic below that C.  I have gotten some pleasing sounds with it up high, though.  I don't use it and am willing to part with it for the  $25.00 I paid for it.

"There are no short cuts to any place worth going."  Beverly Sills
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: