Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076268 Posts in 71348 Topics- by 18939 Members - Latest Member: tsmiller1
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) transition from buzzing to not buzzing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: transition from buzzing to not buzzing  (Read 1433 times)
goldentone

View Profile
« on: Dec 24, 2016, 06:38PM »

I am currently doing some experimenting with my playing and approach to the instrument. I have always buzzed the mouthpiece throughout my trombone life, but I am giving the no buzzing approach a try. If nothing else, just as an experiment to see if my playing improves. I think I saw a video of Christian Lindberg explaining that after 4-5 months of not buzzing his playing had greatly improved. Have any of you experimented with this different approach and what was your transition like? I am finding that I am having mouthpiece withdrawals. Almost like a person who is addicted to something and then coming off of it. I am resisting the urge to grab the mouthpiece and start buzzing it. Just wondering who has tried this and what their discoveries were.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2016, 07:48PM »

You could go cold turkey in basic training...

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
goldentone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2016, 07:56PM »

I'm going cold turkey now. I have been told that I will only be allowed to play trombone once a week for a limited amount of time. I might just do a little bit of free buzzing to keep the strength in my chops at least.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2016, 08:46PM »

That's what I did.  But the Air Force had a D&B in basic so I played baritone bugle in G.

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:20PM »

I'm going cold turkey now. I have been told that I will only be allowed to play trombone once a week for a limited amount of time.

You can't even have a mouthpiece?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
goldentone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:34PM »

Nope.
JBledsoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:42PM »

If you're going into basic I would just try to freebuzz for a couple minutes a couple times a day just to keep some semblance of structure and endurance. I personally buzz a lot, and can understand what you're going through in regards to a "withdrawal." It doesn't sound like this is a great time to make a lasting evaluation of whether or not giving up buzzing is going to aid your playing.

Josh Bledsoe
Presidio Brass
Missouri Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trombone

-----------------------
www.JoshBledsoe.com
pedro.bassclef

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2016, 03:18AM »

Doug, do you practice buzzing?

PHF
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2016, 04:43AM »

I buzz without the mouthpiece, yes.  I don't do any mouthpiece buzzing.

svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2016, 06:40AM »

Just wondering who has tried this and what their discoveries were.

As I am retired I do permit myself to do some experiments on my embouchure and playing, (in spite lots of gigs).

I stopped all buzzing under a few months. I think it was a good experience, I did learn something from it.
Today I buzz bouth free and mpc. Not much, couple of minutes. It does works. But I think I do it a bit different from before.
More airflow, I let the lips decide what to do.

Through the years I learned that people buzz differently, some can´t buzz at all. I do think all players could learn how to buzz if they wanted to. But some players just don't like to even try. I am not talking about student but some of the best players in world.

If you are in doubt, quit buzzing for a month and evaluete.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
ALT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2016, 05:19PM »

The Christian Lindberg video you mentioned is great, and basically what seems to work for me.
https://www.facebook.com/newzealandsymphonyorchestra/videos/10152993730928591/?permPage=1

I also really like Ben Van Dijk's video that I gather is a response to Lindberg.. He buzzes his mouthpiece, puts it in the horn, and sounds great...but more importantly I like his comments alongside his video, which you can read for yourself here:
https://www.facebook.com/Benitobvd/videos/vb.100002333426468/831972106890562/?type=3&theater

(As an aside, I recently purchased the 'Ben's Basics' book, which is fantastic)

Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:36AM »

I free-buzzed for years when I had a long break from the tbn because of a 7 nights a week bass gtr job, which ran for many years. Now, I'm back on the tbn and the basses are dead in the water. (Hooray!)

I've had a lot of benefits from free-buzzing and a better embouchure than before, but now I feel that it's job is done, and now I want to think of my embouchure and m/p being a single entity.

Being a fan of Gizmo's, I use an Ultrabreathe for 20 or so deep inhalations, then with the mouthpiece with a Buzzard for 10 minutes or so, with or without the (DW) Booster depending upon the gig.

The horn seems to spring into life with this warm-up, and I don't suffer from the inconsistent chops that plagued me before.

But come what may l'll always buzz something before playing the horn, just to avoid that "cold turkey" first note..
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2016, 09:42AM by Pre59 » Logged
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:50AM »

The Christian Lindberg video you mentioned is great, and basically what seems to work for me.

Lindberg doesn't buzz, and he plays great.

So I'm pretty sure any of us can sound just like him, if we only stop buzzing.

PS  I'm not being 100% serious.  But if avoiding buzzing is such a great idea, how come more of us don't play like Lindberg? 

Tim Richardson
bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:55AM »

I don't get what the dilemma is. If you decided that free buzzing or mp buzzing is not good for you, just stop buzzing. Put the mouthpiece in the horn and play. Dilemma solved. A third alternative is leadpipe buzzing, or at least what we call it on trumpet. I imagine that on trombone you could do it with or without the slide on.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:16AM »

Lol. I like to do a very small amount (compared with face-time on my horn) of free-buzzing and mpc-buzzing, simply because I can. I view it as a skill. If I go on vacation or something, I may need to do those things to keep my chops up. If so, I don't want to have to invent them then.

The small amount of free-buzzing I do is several "reps" on a sustained tuning Bb and it is my preliminary warm-up.

Am I doomed?

...Geezer

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:39PM »

Am I doomed?

...Geezer

Yes.

Not sure I'd blame it on the buzzing though. 

Tim Richardson
ALT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:12PM »

PS  I'm not being 100% serious.  But if avoiding buzzing is such a great idea, how come more of us don't play like Lindberg? 

Whilst I appreciate your facetiousness, I don't agree with your logic: "If <trombonist> practises 'x', and I also practise 'x', then why don't I play like <trombonist>?"

Not claiming to have all the answers, but, it would seem that there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2017, 05:05AM »

Hi hi, if put about 1% of the effort and time he did, I am sur you would play much better.
Christian payed his dues.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
ALT

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2017, 06:18PM »

Hi hi, if put about 1% of the effort and time he did, I am sur you would play much better.
Christian payed his dues.

Exactly! Thank you!  Good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: