Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083350 Posts in 71707 Topics- by 19125 Members - Latest Member: trombone.willy
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Silver Plated Trombones: Why not well accepted?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Silver Plated Trombones: Why not well accepted?  (Read 11226 times)
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:07AM »

In that respect he can be correct... how many people THINK they sound to an audience is not how they ACTUALLY sound to an audience.
I have sat next to great players that I have heard many times and been SHOCKED by how they sound when you sit along side them. They know how to get results.
That is how you learn how it is REALLY done !!

Chris Stearn

I haven't recoded myself in a long time, so right now I really don't know how I sound at a distance.

Just wondering - in what way did they sound different?  You're talking about being familiar with someone's distance sound first, and then experiencing their close up sound.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Bimmerman

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:16PM »

I'll freely admit the reason I bought a Silversonic 2B is because of the gold wash bell and end crooks. I liked the look, and turns out I like how it sounds and plays too.

I also really like (and prefer) the Sterling Plus Bach 16 I bought recently. I don't own a silver plated horn, but I've played a colleague's silver plated 3B/F in a low-key quintet setting and really liked it...but that probably has more to do with the 3B/F than the plating.

I also like brass horns. I enjoy trying horns made from different materials, but I haven't tried to analyze them beyond 'yup, I still suck' and 'yup, I still suck and oh cool it sounds neat.' I'm enjoying reading about the technical analysis of the horns and materials, it's pretty cool even if it's (IMO) for poops and giggles.

Without reading 99% of the back and forth on engineering terms of art....it seems like a few folks name dropped modulus of elasticity and elastic materials without explaining A) what they are, B) how the terms are used in a materials science sense, C) how the terms differ in colloquial use, and D) why anyone should care in this application. I.e....elastic materials can be interpreted as stretchy rubber bands in sweatpants (e.g. 'elastic cuffs'). Seems to me like a huge argument could've been easily avoided by not assuming everyone has taken classes on mechanics of materials...
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:28PM »

I haven't recoded myself in a long time, so right now I really don't know how I sound at a distance.

Just wondering - in what way did they sound different?  You're talking about being familiar with someone's distance sound first, and then experiencing their close up sound.

I will reply via PM. Professional ethics inhibit my public response. Hope that is okay.

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: