Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088396 Posts in 71916 Topics- by 19305 Members - Latest Member: kylemh
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bunker 2017  (Read 10419 times)
badger

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2017, 05:01PM »

When my mother died 26 years ago at age 71 that was very bad. I found myself spontaneously breaking into tears for a year after that.

But a couple days ago my father died at age 100 and I'm fine with it.

From Woodrow Wilson to Donald Trump, he got to witness an amazing stretch of human history, and perfectly timed his ride on the wave of American prosperity.

I think the happiest time i had with my father was when I was about four or five. I'd climb up in his lap and say "draw me a train" and he'd pull an envelope out of the wastebasket and draw me a scene with a steam locomotive.

That's a long way to have to go back for a happy memory.

I know a lot of people would be glad just to have a father like mine who never came home at 2am in a drunken rage or one like mine who had a long, continuously-employed professional career. I am grateful that he had those positive qualities. I've met fathers who didn't and their families were a wreck.

None-the-less, my strongest memories will be the disappointing ones. His hands-on parenting was pretty much limited to dragging us to church every Sunday.

He expressed no interest in any of my interests even when they were interests that he had had at one time, like wood-working projects or photography.

I learned early on not to bother asking him questions because his answer would typically be, "I guess you'll just have to put on your thinking cap, my good man!" If I had a complaint about something, his remark would be, "Well that's just tough!"

He had a PhD in Chemistry and was a calculus whiz but was incapable of helping me with any of my homework. He could not understand why I had questions about something that was so obvious to him.

The only time I ever heard him say, "I'd like to help you with that" was after he was able to add, "but I'm just too old and weak to be much use."

If you went down the list of classic father-son activities, we did none of them. To this day I can't pass a football or hit a baseball. The only sit-down serious father-son talk we ever had was when he told me I HAD to go to his alma mater for college because that was the one he'd pay for.

But then I ended up having to pay for most of it anyway even though he could have easily covered it. That was seriously bad financial guidance from my parents that took me almost 20 years to unwind.

One of my biggest surprises was after my mother died and I came home to find him playing the piano, choosing hymns to play at the funeral.

Huh? My dad plays piano?!?

For years, all we had ever heard from his childhood piano study was "America" and he said he could play nothing else. But here he was now, sight-reading through the hymnal.

All during my beginner trombone years he could have been helpful and plunked out a simple accompaniment to a simple solo. That would have been great fun but it never happened. It would have cost him nothing but a little time but he never ventured to try.

So, I don't mourn my dad's passing. He had a longer life and more chances to do the things he wanted than most of us can hope for.

I do regret the missed opportunities and all the things that could have happened and should have happened but didn't because... he just didn't want to bother.

May he rest in peace. He's finally getting that nap he always seemed to need.

Condolences Sirů May your father RIP.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2017, 01:05AM »

As predicted, temperatures in South East Queensland kept rising in the state's heatwave, making it the hottest day on record. Pant

Thargomindah in the south-west was the hottest place at 46C, but Birdsville in far south-west Queensland was not far behind on 45C. In Brisbane and here on the coast it was extremely hot but bearable. Fortunately there were none of the power blackouts caused by over-demand that plagued the other states down South.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:25AM »

It was a spectacular end to the hot spell last night with a really wild lightening storm as I was driving to band practice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-14/queensland-storm-clean-up-underway-after-lightning-rain-bom/8267866?WT.ac=statenews_qld

We now have a couple of cooler days before the temps rise again over the weekend.

New South Wales had it even worse than Queensland with many bushfires destroying property and livestock. Fortunately there was no loss of life due to the fires but there are still 11 fires which are classified as out of control. Eeek!

This video shows how these recent fires even created their own weather system:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-13/did-you-know-a-bushfire-can-create-its-own-weather/8267022

I hope that further storms in California do not cause the collapse of the Oroville Dam, which I understand is the tallest dam in the US. That could be catastrophic for those in the path of the 10-metre wall of water that would be created. I remember how much damage and flooding was caused here in Brisbane when they just released too much water from Wivenhoe Dam back in March 2011.

Grah

And climb on every rung
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:30AM »

Glad you got some cooler weather Grah! 

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:26PM »

It seems like severe weather of various types will not leave Queensland alone. There is a high chance that the first cyclone of the season will form in the Gulf of Carpentaria tonight. It is presently a tropical low and was moving over Mornington Island early this morning, with wind gusts of up to 95 kilometres per hour and heavy rainfall. Fortunately for us down in South East Queensland, the low is expected to move south-west towards the Northern Territory border, where it has a more than 50 per cent chance of turning into a category one cyclone by this evening. If it does develop they are going to call it 'Alfred'. :D

Grah

And climb on every rung
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:27PM »

Man, you folks down under have been experiencing the most extreme weather imaginable over the last decade or so.  If your not being fried to a crisp, your being washed away in floods.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:58PM »

As I post this, Sydney is now copping it with severe thunderstorms and hail:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/sydney-braces-hail-and-damaging-winds-after-storm-warning/8280506

Also they are still fighting bushfires/grass fires in New South Wales:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/fast-moving-grassfire-threatens-homes-near-queanbeyan/8280414

Here in Queensland we expect to get hot weather and the odd cyclone during the season but NOT records being broken all the time. That is definitely the effect of global warming and we had better do something about it for the long term survival of humanity.

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 17, 2017, 04:41AM »

Here in Queensland we expect to get hot weather and the odd cyclone during the season but NOT records being broken all the time. That is definitely the effect of global warming and we had better do something about it for the long term survival of humanity.

Sadly, not with this American President and his cohort of Climate Change Deniers.

Like the song says: "Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho" (West coast will be flooded with ocean rise).  Of course this will result in the Earth making a recovery -- with no additional carbon dioxide being emitted by the now non-existent humans, the plants will clear the air and things will get back to normal.  For the next species to climb to dominance. :(

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 19, 2017, 09:46PM »

A category one cyclone has indeed formed in the Gulf of Carpentaria but is due to weaken before heading towards the Northern Territory coast. The low had been threatening to turn into a cyclone for days, and finally intensified into Cyclone Alfred about 7am this Monday morning.

I read an article about the naming of cyclones yesterday, which suggested hurricanes with female names lead to a higher death toll. So I smiled when I read the next bit about Albert, which was from a female Bureau of Meteorology forecaster, Sally Cutter:

"He had a good night, he's been sort of wandering around the south-west part of the Gulf for quite a while, and in the early hours of this morning he finally got himself organised and spun up."

She added, "Alfred's gone off to Mornington Island and come back, headed off to Groote [Eylandt] and come back, he's well-travelled," she said. Yeah, RIGHT.

It seems to me that any familiar name, female or male, tends to make a cyclone sound like they really do have a friendly personality rather than just being a weather event that can be very dangerous.

Grah

And climb on every rung
bhcordova

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:13PM »

Praying for the people of Australia who will be affected by this Cyclone.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:24PM »

Good luck with the cyclone, Grah.  Looks like it's keeping to the relatively unpopulated North Coast.

And watch out for Cyclone/Taiphoon/Hurricane Bambi.  It's not as gentle as its name.

Bruce Guttman
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:29PM »

It seems to me that any familiar name, female or male, tends to make a cyclone sound like they really do have a friendly personality rather than just being a weather event that can be very dangerous.
Well, you probably want to save names like 'Armageddon' for those cat-4 or 5 storms.

Keep out of the rain down under!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:48PM »

For the time being Albert, the weather event in the Gulf of Carpentaria, has been downgraded back to a tropical low. But there are still severe weather warnings for coastal areas, which are expected to be impacted by damaging winds, with peak gusts to 100 kilometres per hour and heavy rainfall which may lead to flash flooding. And there is an increasing chance the tropical low will re-develop into a tropical cyclone on Sunday morning.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 12:13AM by Graham Martin » Logged

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:38AM »

Praying for the people of Australia who will be affected by this Cyclone.

Thanks Billy, but I think the similar tornados in your Texas have done more damage than Albert has - so far, anyway. I saw coverage of the American tornados in Texas on TV, which officials estimate damaged at least 150 structures, most of them homes in the San Antonio area, late Sunday and early Monday. I understand there were at least six tornadoes which touched down but thankfully no major injuries were reported from the storms.

Some bad news from Australia today where four US citizens lost their lives in the crash of a jet into a shopping centre in Essendon, Melbourne, Victoria. The pilot was also killed. The four on board were golfers on the trip of a lifetime and were flying out to an island for a game. This is Victoria's worst civil aviation accident in 30 years.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/five-passenger-plane-crashes-near-melbournes-essendon-airport/8288964

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/four-us-citizens-aboard-plane-that-crashed-at-dfo-essendon/8290598

Australians are extending our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who died in the crash.

Grah

And climb on every rung
bhcordova

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:03AM »

Feeling sad today.  My dad passed away one year ago today.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator

Steven

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:39AM »

Feeling sad today.  My dad passed away one year ago today.

As best you can, remember the good times.  Be happy for what he meant to you (and others).

My father is still healthy, but my mother is starting to decline.  It is inevitable, but still not easy.

Steven Cangemi
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:38PM »

Oh my goodness, the fundraising banner is gone!! *applause*

"Passion is born from earnestness.
Miracles have value precisely because you cause them."
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:40PM »

Oh my goodness, the fundraising banner is gone!! *applause*

Yeah.  Apparently Richard has checked in.  He hasn't been well these last couple of years, so I guess he should be forgiven.

Bruce Guttman
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: Mar 22, 2017, 01:50PM »

I was rejected for the upcoming Sarasota audition based on my resume. Kinda bummed.

"Passion is born from earnestness.
Miracles have value precisely because you cause them."
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Mar 22, 2017, 01:52PM »

I was rejected for the upcoming Sarasota audition based on my resume. Kinda bummed.

Sorry to hear that.  You'll get the next one.  I'm sure. Good!

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: