Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080054 Posts in 71460 Topics- by 19046 Members - Latest Member: Fagenabo
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bunker 2017  (Read 7516 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Jul 16, 2017, 04:45PM »

The lead role in British sci-fi television series Doctor Who will be played by a woman?  :-0

The Time Lord can assume any form after a Reorganization, so why not a woman?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Jul 16, 2017, 05:20PM »

The Time Lord can assume any form after a Reorganization, so why not a woman?

Alien villain: "You're in such good shape."
(To alien crony):  "She's in such good physical shape. Beautiful."

Dr. Who: ...........................

?
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Jul 18, 2017, 01:42AM »

Australia is sending 50 firefighters to Canada to help battle the rapidly spreading wildfires in British Columbia that have forced 39,000 people from their homes. Canada and Aussie firefighting techniques are very similar and this may enable some of the Canadians to take a bit of a break.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/australia-to-send-firefighters-to-battle-wild-fires-in-canada/8721024

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Jul 18, 2017, 04:23AM »

That's excellent news. When we had our firestorms in Florida in 1998  I was able to volunteer here in the county where I live because Miami Beach, where I worked, was far from the affected area. I only worked with FF's from out of state who were sent to help out. No fire service can have the manpower and equipment to adequately fight massive wild land fires once they get going.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:57PM »

Hi Richard  Hi Good! Good! Good!

I am so pleased to see that RLB's health has stabilized and he is back looking at bringing aspects of the forum up-to-date. See the header "It's that time again..."

Grah

And climb on every rung
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sep 07, 2017, 01:40PM »

Well I have now been living in L.A. for several weeks now, and I am very much enjoying it! America is a lot of fun, just about everyone has been very friendly and the standard of playing at my school is very high across the board!
I have had several lessons and have taken a lot away from each one so far. I have also just had a successful audition for the American Youth Symphony which sounds like it will be a lot of fun to play in.

The main difference I notice in the states is the amount of food and drink you get in a single serving. The samllest size coffee at Starbucks is...... ridiculous. I cannot even imagine how I would feel drinking a LARGE size in one sitting. Same with soft drink actually  :D
Been to see the L.A. phil at the Hollywood bowl a couple of times which has been fantastic. I think I could get used to living in America!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Sep 07, 2017, 01:47PM »

If you think they sound great in the Hollywood Bowl, listen to them in the Disney Auditorium Good!

Glad you are making out here in "The Colonies".  Note that Los Angeles is in a desert, and droughts are common.  There was one for about 5 years that finally succumbed toa very wet winter.  Dry weather promotes wildfires and there is a big one near you.

I hope you find lots of playing opportunities.  There seems to be a big hub of music out there and no lack of great players.

Welcome to America! Good!

Bruce Guttman
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sep 07, 2017, 03:03PM »

Anybody got a cocktail? You don't realize how much crap you accumulate in your yard until hurricane season makes you pick it up and get it organized so it doesn't destroy the neighborhood. This was a long day, and tomorrow doesn't look to be any better. Did I mention the heat index is 105 degrees?

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sep 07, 2017, 06:59PM »

We are enjoying beautiful weather in Queensland at present and the arrival of Spring also heralds what used to be called the Strawberry Festival - our local agricultural show, when the Redlands was the Brisbane Salad bowl. Unfortunately they have turned it into a suburb of housing estates, mainly for people who work in Brisbane.

However, the event goes on and it is now called RedFest and is Redland City's premier music and cultural festival. It is a celebration of music, art, food and community on beautiful Moreton Bay. It features a lot of entertainment venues which allow the local bands to show off their stuff. Country music is really strong.:

https://redfest.com.au/

https://redlandcitybands.org.au/events/60/redfest/

They even continue to feature a strawberry eating contest, which is really fun for the kids. Not to mention a few gourmet(?) adults.

They do indeed still grow strawberries in the market garden farms that remain and you can get three large punnets for $5 in the local shops at present. Yum!!! Good!

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sep 07, 2017, 07:04PM »

Did you mean gourmet or gourmand? :-P

Bruce Guttman
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sep 07, 2017, 07:08PM »

A connoisseur of good food; a gourmet. I was merely querying the fact that eating a lot of strawberries would make you one. They look more like pigs at a trough when competing.

or 'gourmand', if you want to ignore common usage but, yes, probably a better description according to Wikipedia.

"The term gourmet can refer to a person with refined or discriminating taste who is knowledgeable in the craft and art of food and food preparation.

Gourmand carries additional connotations of one who simply enjoys food in great quantities. An epicure is similar to a gourmet, but the word may sometimes carry overtones of excessive refinement. A gourmet chef is a chef of particularly high calibre of cooking talent and skill."

Certainly not an 'epicure' anyway. :D

Grah

And climb on every rung
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:02AM »

Last spring, I thought for sure I'd be finding a different orchestra to play in this fall.  It would mean more driving, but musical satisfaction is important.  Then during the summer I got a message about the current orchestra's new director.  This was pretty exciting news.  I'd worked with this director before, and enjoy working with him.  This doesn't immediately fix all of my dissatisfaction, but I do look forward to a good semester of making music.  Hey I even had a full trombone section at our first rehearsal.

Steven Cangemi
badger

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sep 17, 2017, 05:16PM »

Humor Break:

http://alwaysnews.us/30-best-far-side-cartoons-time/

:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: