Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072766 Posts in 71139 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderator: zemry) Rare Footage of Dorsey Bros Band Live
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rare Footage of Dorsey Bros Band Live  (Read 3261 times)
sdoubler

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:28PM »

Love this clip - the trumpet player 2 in from Tommy is Daryl "Flea" Campbell.  I believe he is playing lead on this cut of Marie.  Not sure about Puddlewump, but it sure looks like it!  Sweetheart of a man who could cut you right in two with his wit.

Flea rejoined the Dorsey band much later in life, under Buddy Morrow's direction. 

sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:46AM »

I am sure that Johnny Frosk is one of the trumpet players. Johnny was a New York studio stalwart in the 50's 60's and 70's, originally from Winnipeg Canada. Dorsey was always threatening to have Johnny deported back to Canada during one of their many arguments. He lasted with Dorsey for quite a long time.

Which one do you think is Frosk? Like Sonny, I never saw him when he was young. I used to play with him as often as possible. It was like taking a vibrato lesson. A wonderful player!!!

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Lush slide

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:08PM »

Just a guess. The short trumpet player, 3rd in from Tommy. I met Johnny Frosk years later briefly, in Winnipeg at a musicians union event. I

knew he was on Tommy's band around the time of this clip and he was on the band for quite some time.
Lush slide

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:32PM »

I think that the big trombone player in the middle of the bone section is Tak Takvorian, who was with Tommy for several years around this time frame.
conductorjonz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2017, 11:31AM »

I think that short trumpeter may be Pauly Cohen who played with Dorsey around this time. He went on to Basie and studio work. Sam would know for sure. But the way he holds the horn and even flips his arrangement between tunes looks like vintage Pauly.

Greg
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2017, 12:53PM »

Yes...    Flea Campbell, Johnny Frosk, Lee Castle and Pauly Cohen in the Trumpet section. (I'm fairly sure)  Tak Takvorian on Trombone.  I don't recognize anyone else from the video.  The band was really swinging.  Later, when Sam Donahue had the band in the early 1960's, he was a perfectionist like Tommy and he had the band at that standard!!! His Trumpet section was Ray Davis, John Bennett, Dick Sherman and Bob McCoy.  Trombones were Larry O'Brien, Jack Rice and Chip Hoehler. (Sam Donahue played valve trombone sometimes with the T-bone solis, sometimes 5th trumpet and... Tenor falsetto lead with the saxes.)

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: