Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076213 Posts in 71342 Topics- by 18939 Members - Latest Member: tsmiller1
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown HallNotices from TTF Members(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama) New Years Double Recital (tomorrow!)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Years Double Recital (tomorrow!)  (Read 245 times)
William Lang

View Profile
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:54PM »

Hello Friends!

As we start the New Year I find myself thinking of risk. Just the saying of "why not?" as an answering to Berio's famous Sequenza quote of "Why?" Just taking another step towards a better future, as a person, and as part of a community and a city. So when a couple of days ago my friend Matthew McDonald asked me if I wanted to help cover a sudden opening in his concert series I said Yes! and decided to jump in head first.

Then I realized that it would be a two hour solo show.

And I thought about risk once again. I thought about one of the most influential articles I have ever read, actually called "Risk", funnily enough, by the great bass trombonist David Taylor, which you can read at the hyperlink here: http://www.davetaylor.net/risk.pdf . And I thought - let's do it.

So tomorrow (Thursday, Jan. 5th to be specific) from 6-8 pm in an underground Harlem bar called Silvana's at 300 W 116th St, I'll be giving a two set double recital of (mostly) all unaccompanied contemporary trombone music.

I say mostly before due to the fact that there will also be a Bach Partita, as I found myself thinking also about the great cellist Matt Haimovitz, and how he would play the complete Bach Cello Suites at bars and pizza parlors anywhere he could. I remember being so inspired by his dedication and willingness to step out to reach people. If I can, I'd like to follow both Matt and David's leads and take a bold step into this new year, and I hope you can join me!

Risk: a Two for One New Years Recital Special
Silvana's Cafe, 300 W 116th St.
6-8 pm

Set 1
Brian Lynn - Dolallynastics
Claude Debussy - Syrinx
Iannis Xenakis - Keren
Scott Worthington - unphotographable
Enrique Crespo - Improvisation
William Lang - Multiphonic Etude
Karlheinz Stockhausen - In Freundschaft

Set 2