Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076414 Posts in 71252 Topics- by 18949 Members - Latest Member: sfdubbler
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arban's Schedule  (Read 1383 times)
largobone

View Profile
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:06PM »

I finally got my Arban's book for Christmas (Carl Fischer version for trombone) and really was just planning on doing some planned exercises in a few of my "undesirable" areas when I needed to. However, my teacher told me that when he first studied Arban's decades ago, there was a "Schedule" of sorts to plan for you, and to keep you on track. After a couple of quick google searches and forum searches, nothing came up and I'm thinking he could be misremembering? Or maybe he's thinking of another book? Has anyone heard of this and if so, point me in the right direction?

2013 Yamaha Xeno 882O-Schilke 52
1939/1940 King 2B Liberty-UMI 6-1/2AL-S
2015 Wessex PE480 Alto-King 12C
1905 Boosey Class A Euph-Wick SM4M
1961 Conn 14J Eb Tuba-Bach 1-1/4G, Kelly 18

Des Moines Youth Symphony-3rd/Bass Trombone
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:58PM »

There was a great post by Alex Iles that gave a "guidebook" to working Arban's.  I can't remember the post off-hand.  Maybe someone else can find it.  Probably in the Beginners section.

You should get some guidance from your teacher.  Most of us get that guidance; your teacher should know Arban's and what YOU need to work on best.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 04:51AM »

Here's one that I do and teach that just uses the beginning of the book. It's a very good thing to have in your menu of daily work: http://gabelangfur.blogspot.com/2011/09/keeping-tools-sharp.html

There's also a short book published by trumpeter Eric Bolvin with a week-by-week schedule that takes you through the whole book in a little over a year: http://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
LX

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:04PM »

Here is my "recipe" for how Arban's can fit into the things you might already be practicing or help you to focus on other things you should be!! ;-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8ufeex5m1tbmnj/ARBANSRECIPE.pdf?dl=0

I also highly recommend Bolvin's book on Arbans and his book on an alternative to Arban's, the method by St. Jacome's.

Gabe's concise outline is fantastic too.  Hi

"Perfection is a achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
largobone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:30PM »

These all look really great! I don't think any of them are what my teacher was thinking of, but I will be trying each out nonetheless. Of course, I'll be studying the book with my teacher, but for now I'm working on exercises in a couple areas that I don't feel comfortable enough in the solo pieces I'm working on right now (ie. double tonguing, chromatics, intervals). Thanks everyone.

2013 Yamaha Xeno 882O-Schilke 52
1939/1940 King 2B Liberty-UMI 6-1/2AL-S
2015 Wessex PE480 Alto-King 12C
1905 Boosey Class A Euph-Wick SM4M
1961 Conn 14J Eb Tuba-Bach 1-1/4G, Kelly 18

Des Moines Youth Symphony-3rd/Bass Trombone
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:10PM »

My Arbans came with a foldout but it's been long lost.

Trumpet teacher Pops has a schedule for getting through the Arbans.  You can find it on his web site but it takes some drilling.  I've posted it a couple times, if you don't find it here let me know and I'll put it up again. 

Tim Richardson
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:40PM »

These all look really great! I don't think any of them are what my teacher was thinking of, but I will be trying each out nonetheless. Of course, I'll be studying the book with my teacher, but for now I'm working on exercises in a couple areas that I don't feel comfortable enough in the solo pieces I'm working on right now (ie. double tonguing, chromatics, intervals). Thanks everyone.

That's a great way to use it. Identify challenges in the music you have to perform and find the corresponding sections of Arban's, so that you're practicing the skill in a larger way than just learning the piece at hand.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print