Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066428 Posts in 70884 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Making a detachable second valve for a 50BO  (Read 871 times)
Olsen

View Profile
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 06:27AM »

Hi, folks
I have a 50BO spear bell section, and a complete set of 50B2O Valves (F/D) that I am wondering to take parts of to make a detachable valve rather than to solder the complete section on.
My main concerns are back heavy and som pretty long valve mechanism because the valve must be at the end of the F slide.
Anybody that have experiences and pics of similar conversions?

Olsen
Bass Trombone
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:19AM »

So you want to take, say, the D rotor from your second section and put it in the tuning slide of your single?

Any particular reason you wouldn't just make the section modular? Would probably be a lot cheaper in this case. Bach open wraps aren't hard to make modular because they have two braces already unlike their closed wraps.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:33AM »

Making a slot in valve for the 50BO would be easier than most. But putting in a 50B2O section is almost plug and play comparatively.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Horn Builder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:44AM »

"But putting in a 50B2O section is almost plug and play comparatively."

Well, maybe....  There is a lot of variation in Bach construction, especially with the hard soldered sections. The chances of both valve sections having their cross braces in the same place on the bell are not very high. It can certainly all be done, but it always ends up being more work than you initially think it will.

Re a detachable valve in the F slide, it's also going to be a fair degree of work, to make it do what you want to. Re the lever length, the big issue is the lever geometry. You could have a push rod a mile long, and still have a nice short throw on the lever if the overal geometry is good.

FWIW...
M

Matthew Walker
Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia 1991-2006
Greenhoe Custom Trombones, Technician, Artist, Designer. 2006-2012
Getzen/Edwards Co Technician. 2013-2014
Freelance. May 2014-
Owner, M&W Custom Trombones. LLC. 2015-
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:11AM »

"But putting in a 50B2O section is almost plug and play comparatively."

Well, maybe.... 

Of course. I'm just saying that nominally, they are the same setup and wouldn't require a bunch of fabricating and new parts.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:06AM »

As Matt points out above, you could make the F and the F/D valve sections convertible.  That would be nice but... a plug-in second valve would be more FUN!  I am currently talking with a tech about doing this for an older 50B that I don't want to modify.  The key seems to be to get the second valve positioned close to where your F crook is currently, so your F slide is still in tune.  With an open-wrap F, you should have more room to work than with a closed-wrap.

There are several threads on this topic.  Do a search on plug in, slot in, or drop in.

A couple of photos in this thread. http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,87178.msg1094816.html

Please keep us in the loop if you do this project!

Edit: Cleaned up some gibberish.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 10:41PM by greenbean » Logged

--Bach 50B (1966), Bach MV 2G
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:35AM »

Check out the Doug Yeo Yamaha bass trombone. That second valve is detachable. I'm sure a tech could "copy" it but you'd need more work to the section than just adding a valve.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:34AM »

Check out the Doug Yeo Yamaha bass trombone. That second valve is detachable. I'm sure a tech could "copy" it but you'd need more work to the section than just adding a valve.
Kanstul 1670 drop in is probably a better place to start looking for an open wrap horn.  This would be relatively 'simple'.  This is a goofy picture, but it is the best image on the first page.

I would personally stick with the idea above to either just make the two valve sections interchange (if you already have both, why not?) or just use the two different bell sections.  Making the valve sections interchangeable will be a little bit of work, and a little bit more work to make them pretty, but still easier (for me) than making a decent lever for the drop in valve.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:15AM »

This is a goofy picture, but it is the best image on the first page.

Uff da!!

US 101 to Sequim, Port Angeles, and beyond......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: