Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066404 Posts in 70879 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New trombone Player - New Trombone  (Read 497 times)
Ketch22

View Profile
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:38AM »

My new Getzen trombone (a Christmas gift to myself) arrived a week ago and I've now had a chance to run it through scales, exercises, tunes, etc. It is a student small bore model, but is worlds apart from the rental I've been playing the last 9 weeks (a student Eastman). The slide moves as if it were lined with teflon. My tone is now consistent through my playable 2 1/2 octave (3 - if I push it) range. The mouthpiece that came with it is a Getzen 12C, but the cup looks and feels like a Denis Wick. (I play DWs on cornet and flugelhorn and I have a DW 12CS on order.) Notes slot much better throughout the range. I like the overall smooth light tone I get with it, but if I want I can push it and get that big fat trombone sound. I will be playing mostly jazz and ballads in a Big Band style.

I was unable to try before I bought, so I took a chance and was relying on my experience with my custom Getzen cornet, which is a very nice pro BBB instrument. I didn't like the student level King/Yamaha/Bachs that the local music store had in stock and I don't have the money to buy a pro horn - even used. (The local "used" market is very slim.) But I think I made a good choice.  I'm very happy with it so far, and if it performs anything like my cornet I probably won't trade up to a pro horn for a long time, if ever (considering my age and how many playing years I have left).

I'm on my way to having a really good, fun time! Way cool

K22
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:10PM »

Well, welcome to the guild!

Are you anywhere near Muskoka Ontario?  I could suggest a band or 2 that could sorely use either your trumpet or trombone skills.

I've never owned a Getzen, but almost bought a Getzen bass a few months back.  Good instruments and highly regarded.

Have fun!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Ketch22

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:24AM »

Well, welcome to the guild!

Are you anywhere near Muskoka Ontario?  I could suggest a band or 2 that could sorely use either your trumpet or trombone skills.

I've never owned a Getzen, but almost bought a Getzen bass a few months back.  Good instruments and highly regarded.

Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestion, BillO. Unfortunately Muskoka is an 18 hour drive from here (Winnipeg).

The fun times I was expecting with the trombone suddenly tanked a few weeks ago. My wife has been diagnosed with cancer and after the radiation treatments the doctors discovered a lymph node that was not quite right, so Chemo is on the calendar. I've stepped back from the two bands in which I was playing trombone so I can be with her through the treatments. But my wife refused to let me take a leave of absence from the BBB (flugel/cornet) or the Big Band (trumpet/flugel) so I'm still playing when I can, but not much on trombone other than blowing scales every few days. We'll see how her health is with chemo, and then I may get back into the concert band on a "when able" basis. Unfortunately, the jazz band trombone position has been filled. No regrets, though, considering what my wife is going through.

An update to my original post: I received the DW 12CS and was surprised to find it is larger than the Getzen 12C, and it has a flatter rim. The inner edge and cup depth are similar. The Getzen is very comfortable and easy to play, but as with the DW mouthpieces on cornet and flugelhorn the DW 12CS is harder to slot accurately, (as in less forgiving) but the tone is worth it. Range (a comfortable 2 1/2 octave) is similar on both, but the DW has a better/fuller tone on the high end.  I really like the Getzen 451 trombone - it was worth waiting for!

K22
TomBone4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:58AM »

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Hop on the struggle bus, for I own the company.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:01AM »

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Good luck to you both!

I've heard really good things about the newer Getzen trombones.  I had one in the 1950s that was awful, but it's no longer made (thank goodness!).

Since you are still playing with two bands on cornet/flugel you aren't really losing out on performing.  And the trombone will wait for you for whatever the end result of your wife's cancer is (hopefully remission).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: