Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1053002 Posts in 70103 Topics- by 18221 Members - Latest Member: TboneJake
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Haven't Played since Middle School!  (Read 485 times)
83GS850G

View Profile
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:54AM »

Hello, my name is Joe and I live in Maine. I found this forum today and am so glad! I stopped by my local music shop and poked around for a while.

Initially I was scoping out the ukulele he had, but out of curiosity I asked about any trombones.

He reached under a rack covered with teaching books to pull out a dinged up, grimy bone he seemed to have hiding there for a while. We look over it, the slide is a bit sticky due to some oxidation and old lube gunk.
No mouthpiece or case, but she shone the way she was.

I have been thinking about picking one up for the past few years but had yet to stumble into the right deal at the right time.

I asked him how much he would need for it in it's condition.

Needless to say, the right deal happened to fall in front of me:
A WHOPPING $20 Bill!!!! Eeek! Eeek! Eeek! :D :D

Happy as can be, I fumbled my wallet out and away I went with my new treasure. Now I need to give it some loving and a mouthpiece and I'll be back in business! Good!

-Joe

Cousenon 105. Rue La Fayette 51378

Glad to be boning again!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:13AM »

Welcome back to trombone!

I think you need to clean the slide carefully to remove the oxidation.  There is a post on Repairs and Modifications where Christan Griego (he's the President of Edwards Custom Trombones) shows how to clean a slide and lubricate it.  Since you didn't get any accessories you might want to try Pond's cold cream as your first lubricant.

"Basic" mouthpieces are usually available on this Forum for pretty cheap.  A Faxx 12C, 6 1/2 AL, or the like is probably what will work with your trombone.  We have a couple of Mainers here on the Forum -- where are you in the Pines?  Maybe one of them has a mouthpiece they could loan you or even check out your trombone to see what needs to be done.  If you are down in the Portland or Kittery area, some of our New Hampshire folk may also be able to help.

Still and all, $20 is cheap even for a wall decoration.

Good luck.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:26AM »

Thanks! I am in the Machias area, and picked up this find at Mainely Music in Ellsworth. I have been looking for some info on the slide but most videos and write-ups are on newer, less neglected instruments.

By tomorrow I will add some pictures of the slide and see what you think!

Glad to be boning again!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:51AM »

We actually have a guy near you.  Tim Bathras.  I hope he contacts you privately.

Meanwhile, posting pictures here is a problem.  Please read this thread:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,75147.0.html

In the thread I mention using the Gallery of this Forum as a place for pictures.  At this time we seem to have no additional image capacity and so the Gallery is no longer accepting pictures.  But all the other options are still valid.

Bruce Guttman
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:29AM »

Glad to see a fellow Mainer back on the horn!

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me, my email is in my profile.  The PM system here can be flakey.

Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
207 Wind Orchestra
Maine Pops Concert Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:40AM »

Try the stuff for the newer less-neglected horns first. 

If you find corrosion on the slide, we can help.  But a picture would be nice.  Especially look at the end of the slide (stockings).  That's where most of the wear and corrosion show.

Bruce Guttman
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:50AM »

Glad to see a fellow Mainer back on the horn!

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me, my email is in my profile.  The PM system here can be flakey.

I'm glad to know there are others here to help me out! I will probably be in touch as the weeks progress.
Whereabouts are you in the great state?

Try the stuff for the newer less-neglected horns first. 

If you find corrosion on the slide, we can help.  But a picture would be nice.  Especially look at the end of the slide (stockings).  That's where most of the wear and corrosion show.

I got a peek at the stockings, that seems to be where the gumming is happening. It snugs up as you approach that, to there may be some dings higher on the slide that may need addressed. I won't do anything until I get it cleaned up. There was some gunk and slight greening from surface oxidation. As far as I can tell though, nothing hindering.

I am going to try an ultra fine 3m scouring pad to start getting off the build-up.

Glad to be boning again!
leec

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:59AM »

Very gently with the 3M scouring pad.  Welcome back to the Bone and you will find lots of help and encouragement here! Is there a name on your new horn?
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:03PM »

Very gently with the 3M scouring pad.  Welcome back to the Bone and you will find lots of help and encouragement here! Is there a name on your new horn?

Alright, I've done some close inspecting and found that there are a couple very smallll dings in the slide.

Nothing I want to attempt to fix myself, hopefully Tim knows somewhere to take it for an affordable ding repair.

I also have some information and pictures (which I will try an upload later).
It is a Couesnon 105 Rue La Fayette with "Paris" and "made in France" stamped under the name. Anyone have good info on this baby?

Glad to be boning again!
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:32PM »

If the Scotchbright you're talking about really is the light gray ultra-fine grade use it, but not anything more coarse than that.  Take it to somebody good for the dent work.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:57PM »

If the Scotchbright you're talking about really is the light gray ultra-fine grade use it, but not anything more coarse than that.  Take it to somebody good for the dent work.

Bingo! It is in fact the ultra fine pad. :) The defects are very small, so hopefully they wouldn't take too much to get fixed. (As you can imagine, I don't want to sink too much into my $20 gem, I'm going for as small of a budget as possible). That being said though, I will not skip out on a professional repair if the integrity of the instrument would be compromised.

Thank you all for being so welcoming, I am excited to pursue playing the trombone again!!!

Glad to be boning again!
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:18PM »

I know a great repair guy in Turner.  He's a little quirky, but reasonable prices and fantastic work.  If you decide to take the horn in, let me know and I'll get you his contact info.

Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
207 Wind Orchestra
Maine Pops Concert Band
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:07AM »

I know a great repair guy in Turner.  He's a little quirky, but reasonable prices and fantastic work.  If you decide to take the horn in, let me know and I'll get you his contact info.

I do like the idea of quirky characters, but Tuner is a good 3.5 hours away from me. I think I found a good repair man in Bangor, I will call him tomorrow. He is closed on the weekends but the site said he will do Saturday with an appointment, so I will try to drop it off with him then.

How often do you fellows get to play? I haven't found any local groups yet but wanted an idea about your areas :)

Glad to be boning again!
sacfxdx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:23AM »

Welcome. Glad you to have you. I started back a couple years ago after 40 years off. It's a totally difference experience now. I am fortunate enough to leave in a area (north Georgia) that has many bands made up of older players. Concert, orchestra and jazz/big band.   Once you find a band you often learn about others.  Lessons are good too.  Don't let bad equipment turn you off. Rental trombones are cheap.

Sacfdx

1961 King 3B Silver Sonic
Conn 88H
Benge 170
83GS850G

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:47AM »

Welcome. Glad you to have you. I started back a couple years ago after 40 years off. It's a totally difference experience now. I am fortunate enough to leave in a area (north Georgia) that has many bands made up of older players. Concert, orchestra and jazz/big band.   Once you find a band you often learn about others.  Lessons are good too.  Don't let bad equipment turn you off. Rental trombones are cheap.

Sacfdx

Awesome, I'm glad to be here! I am 24 so my gap of not playing isn't too long.

I'm hoping living in a college town will make it easy to find a group to get me started.

Old and/or bad equipment doesn't discourage me, just gets me thinking of ways to make what I have sound good ;-)

Glad to be boning again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: