Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088567 Posts in 71936 Topics- by 19309 Members - Latest Member: subs4ks
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cookbook errors  (Read 2142 times)
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:16PM »

I recently attended a "cookbook club" at one of the local libraries.  What happens is is that the librarian who runs the club (one Saturday a month) chooses a cookbook (or cookbook author) from which attendees (limit of 12) can choose a recipe to prepare for and serve to the group.  On this occasion the host had us each introduce ourselves and tell not only what we prepared but how we found the experience.  In this  case, everyone to a person had issues with one or more elements of their recipe--too little flour called for in the pasta, some ridiculous resting times, seasoning amounts, etc.  FYI, I produced rustic bread and honeycrisp apple jam; with the bread, I found it called for too little flour. On the up side, everything was edible and everyone had a good time.

If you remember the movie "Julie and Julia", you remember Erma Rombauer saying that she didn't actually test all those recipes in "Joy of Cooking". Have you ever run across a cookbook (or recipe) where you concluded you wish you'd never laid eyes on it? What have been your experiences reviving and surviving badly edited recipes?

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:10PM »

Jacques Pepin on that very subject:

https://www.facebook.com/newshour/videos/10154926597883675/

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist