Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080565 Posts in 71520 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceMusical Miscellany(Moderators: JP, BGuttman) 2017: My Last Year In High School Marching Band
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2017: My Last Year In High School Marching Band  (Read 3921 times)
Emisaumell

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:26PM »

Loved marching band when it came to social aspect of it.. Music wise, I can only credit it to my chops (but a teacher would've been better) oh well can't undo 4 years. It's related activities like drum corp and wgi leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Too many music majors I know that waste their time (and education) doing only that. Maybe one or two seasons for the music ed major but as a performace major, i believe there are better option on how to spend summers and 3k+ dollars.
My $0.02
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:10AM »

It's related activities like drum corp and wgi leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Too many music majors I know that waste their time (and education) doing only that. Maybe one or two seasons for the music ed major but as a performace major, i believe there are better option on how to spend summers and 3k+ dollars.
My $0.02

Don't knock it til you try it!

It's not for all, definitely.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50T, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Emisaumell

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:08PM »

I did try it! I was going to march with Boston, but a lot of things in life really made that impossible. Also tried out the Indoor winds thing as well. It was all fun at the time, but some of the strictness of the camp and then imagining that it'd be like that the whole season was off putting. Then all the people that I know that march literally stopped going to school because of the activity. But everyone's experience is different. Maybe I just like playing music on a chair too much
EWadie99
The Curious One

"Bass Trombone! It's like a musical bazooka!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:03AM »

I use a Bach 5 on my .508 small bore, 5G on my .547 large bore, and 1 1/2G on my .562 bass.  Some think that you need a small mouthpiece for a small horn, but 7s and bigger didn't work for me.  Find what what works for you.  I suggest trying bigger mouthpieces on your tenor. 
I'll see if I can get a Schilke 53 small shank for my small tenor for my bass chops.  On a large bore, I use a 2G or 3G size to cover the 3rd trombone part when it doesn't require a 2nd trigger.  I'll see which works best for me or it that doesn't work, I might have to use the school's large bore.

Ethan Wadie
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Titan Marching Band
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Jazz Ensemble
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Wind Ensemble
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
EWadie99
The Curious One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:35PM »

Just want to ask a question.  What colleges marches bass trombones, just curious if I decide to continue marching in college.  I know I sound crazy but just wanted to ask.

Ethan Wadie
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
W/SBTRB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:51PM »

First off my high school marching band experience was great.people came to games to see the band because the football team was lousy. Every homecoming we performed a"lights out " show using penlights in our hats. The pre game show we did the script Ohio with a sousaphone dotting the I. Our school was a small town school where all the cool people played in the band. Our school was Chesapeake High School and the band director was F Allen Howcroft.   We did a new show for every home game. Our concert band was terrific.

I attended Marshall University after high school . I played bass trombone in high school but not in marching band.. At Marshall I played a school horn.....some kind of Conn bass bone with TIS.  My bass was a 1970 Conn 62H. Paul Jennings was staff arranger at Marshall and wrote bass bone parts for me. Paul would  go on to become a top notch arranger.  He was an outstanding jazz pianist. The time frame for all this was from 1967-1976. Yes this was during the time of the Marshall plane crash. My church Sunday School teacher along with his wife was on that plane. I remember that event as if was yesterday. 
For me marching band was a great experience.

Ron Smith, D.M. A
Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Piedmont International University, Winston-Salem, NC
Orchestra Director, Grace Baptist Church
Luke 9:23
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:22PM »

First off my high school marching band experience was great.people came to games to see the band because the football team was lousy. Every homecoming we performed a"lights out " show using penlights in our hats. The pre game show we did the script Ohio with a sousaphone dotting the I. Our school was a small town school where all the cool people played in the band. Our school was Chesapeake High School and the band director was F Allen Howcroft.   We did a new show for every home game. Our concert band was terrific.  For me marching band was a great experience.

I'm from Wickliffe, Ohio and graduated in 75.  Same thing, football was mediocre at best but the band was great.  After most bands have gone to corps style we still to this day do fast (160 BPM at times), high step marching (Ohio State style) with complicated route sheets for each squad.  A student written arrangement of "Aquarius" done for homecoming in the early 70s has been an annual tradition every year since, complete with the drum section forming a human pyramid with one playing upside down. 

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
EWadie99
The Curious One

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2017, 03:06PM »

My band director showed us our theme for next year's show, it's pretty much a magic show featuring The Musical "Wicked", "Harry Potter", "Pinball Wizard", Disney's "Hocus Pocus" and "Sorcerer's Apprentice" from Disney's Fantasia.  I believe on of the songs has a trombone or low brass feature. :D.

Ethan Wadie
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:35PM »

Sorcerer's Apprentice is actually by French composer Paul Dukas.  Disney co-opted it for a skit in Fantasia featuring Mickey Mouse.

The piece features the bassoon, but in a marching band that is never going to be heard; they probably have all the low brass playing the theme.  Look it up and give a listen.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:07PM »

Sorcerer's Apprentice is actually by French composer Paul Dukas.  Disney co-opted it for a skit in Fantasia featuring Mickey Mouse.

The piece features the bassoon, but in a marching band that is never going to be heard; they probably have all the low brass playing the theme.  Look it up and give a listen.

We were doing Sorcerer's Apprentice in a community orchestra.  I show up for the concert and the conductor told me the bassoonist backed out at the last minute, grab your straight mute and you are now playing the bassoon part.  Nothing like sight reading a well-known solo at a performance!

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
EWadie99
The Curious One

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jul 03, 2017, 06:25PM »

Just thought I do a little update, I'll confirm that after this marching season, I'll no longer use my small bore which I'll sell since my younger brother will not continue trombone and nobody in my family wants it.  Also, I really don't enjoy playing it at all as I don't plan on using it for future use for college/university marching bands or pep bands. 

Ethan Wadie
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 03, 2017, 08:00PM »

Just thought I do a little update, I'll confirm that after this marching season, I'll no longer use my small bore which I'll sell since my younger brother will not continue trombone and nobody in my family wants it.  Also, I really don't enjoy playing it at all as I don't plan on using it for future use for college/university marching bands or pep bands. 
You should keep it! You don't want pigeonhole yourself as JUST a bass trombone player. You'll get a ton of random tenor gigs if you're open to them. Pop, jazz, you name it. Having a small bore is handy!

Holton TR 185 1960's, Doug Elliott LB
Shires Dependent TruBores 2010's, Doug Elliott LB
King 3B 1980's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
EWadie99
The Curious One

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:29PM »

You should keep it! You don't want pigeonhole yourself as JUST a bass trombone player. You'll get a ton of random tenor gigs if you're open to them. Pop, jazz, you name it. Having a small bore is handy!
True.  But I still play tenor in wind ensemble (Elkhart Conn 88H) which belongs to my school on occasion, but I honestly don't see myself doing any tenor gigs on my small bore.  Also, I don't really plan on using it for any future use for college and beyond.  After this coming school year, I'll sell it to someone who will put it to better use than I can (a beginner or whoever).

Ethan Wadie
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
EWadie99
The Curious One

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:22PM »

For my final low brass section shirt since I'll graduate in the 2017-2018 school year, you know the pink on the Sweet'N Low sugar.  Well, we will put a pink shirt that will say "Sweet'N Low Brass" huh, see what we did there? ;-) and I don't know what the senior shirts design will be but we'll come up with ideas at our senior meetings. 

Just thought I share throughout my final days as a Titan Marching Band member.

Ethan Wadie
Bones:
Besson BE 639
Getzen 1062FD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: