Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087247 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakPolls(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Bass Trombone - Single bore or Dual bore slide
Poll
Question: On your primary bass 'bone, what bore size is your slide?
.562 - 43 (71.7%)
.562/.578 - 13 (21.7%)
.547/.562 - 2 (3.3%)
.547/.567 (Thein BVD) - 0 (0%)
Something bigger - 1 (1.7%)
Something smaller - 1 (1.7%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bass Trombone - Single bore or Dual bore slide  (Read 2725 times)
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:27PM »

What difference is it between these two systems? I don't think I ever tried dual bore.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Peter Eiden

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:16PM »

That's what I used to think, but with Shires and Edwards/Getzen, you can flip between the 2 different slides.  I think the tenon and receiver are already oversized.

Agree -- my 547/562 Tenor slide fits just as well with my bass or tenor bell.  Certainly they seem interchangeable across the Edwards bass and large tenor lines. 
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:31PM »

They all have the same tenon/slide receivers, but I don't think that's what Robert was asking.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:04PM »

What difference is it between these two systems? I don't think I ever tried dual bore.

Leif

The difference is of course subjective..... some players say that the dual bore bass slide (like an edwards one) is more work to play, creates an unfocused sound and does not sound good in the high register.
I personally (as well as many others) find none of those things to be true. As i said earlier in the thread i have an edwards dual bore slide in my bach and it very OBVIOUSLY out plays any bach slide i have tried with it. The most immediate difference is the sound, i find it is considerably more resonant and rich sounding. For me, attacks have much more clarity and i feel its easier to get a quality sound and attack in soft dynamics. I also notice very little difference in how the high register feels... i think that has more to do with mouthpiece choice and practice!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:54PM »

If the bore of the slide doesn't match the bore where it meets the bell section then you've got a sudden discontinuity that's probably bigger than any other disturbances that are more hotly debated... the valves, tuning in slide, the water key...

Do you you actually put a slide with a larger bore to a bell with a smaller bore?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:05PM »

If the bore of the slide doesn't match the bore where it meets the bell section then you've got a sudden discontinuity that's probably bigger than any other disturbances that are more hotly debated... the valves, tuning in slide, the water key...

Do you you actually put a slide with a larger bore to a bell with a smaller bore?

The outside of the tenons are all the same size, so as far as what mates to the bell, it's identical.  not sure if maybe the taper inside the tenon is different, but at the very end it's all the same.  There's no sudden 'step'.

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: