Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083465 Posts in 71712 Topics- by 19129 Members - Latest Member: Moray Musician
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: BGuttman) Performing a solo with a high school band
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Performing a solo with a high school band  (Read 461 times)
Armorgorr

View Profile
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:39PM »

I made a deal with my band director that if I made all-state, then I can perform a solo with the band accompanying me. I have the David concertino in consideration, but I'm not currently ready to perform it. Do y'all have any know any solos that have a band arrangement? Also I know the Morceau Symphonique and can play the Rimsky-korsakov.

Play Trombone 7-EVER
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:10PM »

There are a load of trombone and band pieces from the late 1800s and early 1900s.  Most are fairly easy to play and are much shorter than the Rimsky or the Guilmant (and that section in 6 flats is poison to a lot of amateur bands).

Look for these Arthur Pryor solos:

Blue Bells of Scotland
Thoughts of Love
Love's Enchantment
The Little Chief

Or Clay Smith:

The Satellite
The Water Witch
Fancy Free
Annie Laurie

Gardell Simons: Atlantic Zephyrs

Henry Fillmore: any of the Trombone family.  Lassus Trombone, Shoutin' Liza Trombone, Bull Trombone, Mose Trombone, Sally Trombone.

Fred Harlow (probably a pen name for Henry Fillmore): Air Varie The Old Home Down on the Farm, The Wanderer

DeLuca: Beautiful Colorado (often presented as a Baritone Horn solo)

Most of the Herbert L. Clarke solos for cornet can be played on trombone:

Stars in a Velvety Sky
The Debutante
From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific
Bride of the Waves

You can find full parts for some of these on www.BandMusicPDF.org since most of them are Public Domain.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
JP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:28PM »

If you are comfortable with Morceau Symphonique, I would recommend that.http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/tenor_trombone/solos_with_band/products/sku024518-guilmant-shephard-morceau-symphonique-op-88.php

If you want a more jazz oriented piece, Reflective Mood by Sammy Nestico is great, but it takes very good interpretive skills to make it work. What I mean is that you need to have a mind-set of someone like Urbie, or Carl Fontana, or the like. If you just play the notes it is OK, great when you add the soul of an inspired musician. http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/tenor_trombone/solos_with_band/products/sku089000-nestico-reflective-mood.php

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
uncle duke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:31PM »

If you can discuss the David 2nd mvt. with the orchestra teacher and getting the o.k. from your teacher you may be able to pull it off.  Don't expect much out of the orchestral students instrument bows they use going into springtime. That's why I mentioned 2nd mvt. only.  Also, it's more than likely that there's a violin player or two wanting to do the same as you at school - work together if possible.  
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:38PM »

Related to JP's suggestion, there's "Persuasion" which is normally given to alto sax players but works well on trombone (I did it with the Hollis Town Band).  Same issue with interpretation.  The notes are easy, but making it music is what's hard.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: