Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076271 Posts in 71348 Topics- by 18939 Members - Latest Member: tsmiller1
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) 2017 Inaugural address fact checking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2017 Inaugural address fact checking  (Read 1316 times)
JP

View Profile
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:03PM »

I don't usually post on this board, but I think this might contribute to the discussion:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/20/fact-check-president-trump-inaugural-address/96836370/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/ap-fact-check-trumps-inaugural-speech/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/20/trump-inaugural-address-fact-check

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-presidential-transcript-20170120-htmlstory.html 

I tried to post non-political sources, but I am sure that some will say all the above are "liberal media", which is why I did not refer to Washington Post, NY Times, or Huffington all of which have been accused of a liberal bias, especially by Trumptonians. I looked for but could not find similar fact checks by Fox News, commentators like Limbaugh, or other "conservative media".

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:24PM »

One other location is www.Politifact.com (published by the Tampa Bay Times).  They got a Pulitzer a couple of years ago.  They are my go-to for fact checks.  They also started a TrumpMeter that will measure him against his promises for the duration of his term.  They did the same for Obama and rated over 200 promises.  Obama scored around half kept, 1/4 broken, and 1/4 compromised.  We'll have to see how Trump does.

I doubt you will find a single Conservative group doing fact checking on "one of their guys".  Now if he crosses paths with the Conservative idology they will probably excoriate him on those transgressions.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:38PM »

It is odd to have to be fact-checking an inaugural address as they are typically broad vision for the future rather than a collection of assertions.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
JasonDonnelly
Unfortunate Amateur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:56PM »

I tried to post non-political sources, but I am sure that some will say all the above are "liberal media", which is why I did not refer to Washington Post, NY Times, or Huffington all of which have been accused of a liberal bias, especially by Trumptonians. I looked for but could not find similar fact checks by Fox News, commentators like Limbaugh, or other "conservative media".

Thank you for posting these. One thing to note, though-lately I've seen more and more people labeling The Guardian as having a "liberal bias" as well. I've no clue if there's any truth to it, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Bach Stradivarius 50B3 (Ferguson JR)
Soverign/Boosey and Hawkes Globe Euphonium (Denis Wick SM4U)
Olds Custom P-16 (Bach 6 1/2 AL)
JP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:35PM »

It is odd to have to be fact-checking an inaugural address as they are typically broad vision for the future rather than a collection of assertions.
True, but he made broad statements about unemployment, crime, failed businesses, depleted military and some other things that were obviously unfactual or erroneous, I think the public needs to keep attention to his statements. His oratory is to make broad statements as if they are fact when they are not. Usually angry opinion, which angry opiniated people jump on board with.

Does that mean that GOP now stands for Grouchy Old Pharts?

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:44PM »

Isn't The Guardian the former Manchester Guardian? The epitome of a leftist rag?

In a good way.
jakeway1
Jakeway1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:45PM »

What a bunch of ******* ********

Ken Jackson

“I’ve been banned from bars, and barred from bands!” - Don Joseph
I would of known the difference between "of" and "have", but I of not been educated. Of a nice day!!
King 2B+
King 3B
LT N 102.C.C2/C3
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:57PM »

They kinda let FDR slide by on "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:57PM »

Speaking of Grouchy Old ... ;-)

I've found an easy way to tell when Trump is lying.  His mouth is moving.  That's the essence of his "Art of the Deal".

Jakeway, how will you feel when he does something entirely non-Conservative?  He's really a loose cannon and liable to do anything.

Bruce Guttman
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:50AM »

The inaugural address was written by Breitbart editor, Steve Bannon

Enough About Andrew Jackson

Trump's apocalyptic inaugural address was pure Steve Bannon, and a White House official now confirms that it was written by Bannon and Stephen Miller. In another of those weird recent attempts to draw historic parallels between Trump and Andrew Jackson, Bannon is quoted as saying, “I don’t think we’ve had a speech like that since Andrew Jackson came to the White House. It’s got a deep, deep root of patriotism.”

But if you read Jackson's first inaugural address, it is full of the modesty, humility, self-deprecation and traditional appeals to our better nature that are historically associated with presidential inaugural addresses. There is nothing in it on par with Trump's "American carnage."

Robert Holmén

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:14PM »

There's no point in trying to accommodate highly irrational people who reliably demonstrate they aren't remotely interested in what's real or true, or in being intellectually honest or responsible.

Adults just have to ignore them and step around them when they get in the way. If they can become actual adults, then they're more than welcome at the table, no matter how much they disagree with the diverse membership of actual adults. There's already plenty of disagreement going around that rather large and accommodating table. But until then, they just aren't earning any respect beyond the default level of all human beings, and they certainly aren't earning any trust by demonstrating any trustworthiness.

You're not going to get irrational people to respond rationally to things they don't want to believe, particularly if they're true, and all the more so if they're obviously so. Those are the things they're least happy about, because obvious reality is the biggest needle threatening to puncture their bubbles.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:15PM »

One other location is www.Politifact.com (published by the Tampa Bay Times).  They got a Pulitzer a couple of years ago.

Pulitzer!?

That liberal rag!?

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:20PM »

For example ...

The label Post-Truth is well earned, though Post-Honesty would apply much better to those who are establishing this social climate.

Read up on authoritarianism if you want to understand what's going on socially and psychologically ... I strongly recommend everyone do so.

slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:42PM »

Shared by my daughter's boyfriend. I like him ever better now.

"Bringing up politics at a family dinner is like standing up and taking a crap on the table. Most people will be angry, and start yelling. But there will always be one person who will be like "I was thinking about doing it too.." ".
badger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:36PM »

Today's activities FYI:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4142950/Thousands-women-head-Washington-protest-Trump.html
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:42PM »

For example ...

The label Post-Truth is well earned, though Post-Honesty would apply much better to those who are establishing this social climate.

Read up on authoritarianism if you want to understand what's going on socially and psychologically ... I strongly recommend everyone do so.

Yeah, it's the mentality that "This doesn't make me happy, so it must be untrue!"

You can hold onto false beliefs forever under that system.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
badger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2017, 03:06PM »

In the posted link, Cher has overdone the BOTOX a bit ( Oh Well ).

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:15PM »

In the posted link, Cher has overdone the BOTOX a bit ( Oh Well ).

Why is that relevant? I'm kind of sick of this stuff. It isn't enough to disagree with Cher, you have to make fun of her looks. It isn't enough to say you disagree with Obama, you have to say his wife looks like a man, or whatever. There are some damned ugly guys on both sides of the aisle, but if a woman participates in our civic life, we make fun of how she looks. What a load. You should be ashamed of yourself.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:25PM »

Cher is 70 and has had an award-winning career over six decades. She can Botox anything she wants if it makes her happy.

I actually tried Botox about 10 years ago. It didn't do a damn thing.

Maybe Cher's face is her face.

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:26PM »

Why is that relevant? I'm kind of sick of this stuff. It isn't enough to disagree with Cher, you have to make fun of her looks. It isn't enough to say you disagree with Obama, you have to say his wife looks like a man, or whatever. There are some damned ugly guys on both sides of the aisle, but if a woman participates in our civic life, we make fun of how she looks. What a load. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Their Fearless Leader does the same thing.  What did he do with Carly Fiorina, or Megyn Kelly, or the Hispanic Miss Universe contestant ...

Bruce Guttman
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: