Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072812 Posts in 71143 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wake Up, America: Take 3  (Read 33369 times)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: Jun 30, 2017, 12:42AM »

Yes, that's how it works... Trump is more popular with GOP voters than congress or even the GOP itself. Why would you think congressional Republicans would side with dems and the "librul" media over their own voters? It's not like Tom Cotton is going to start scoring points with Arkansas progressives.

Trump isn't exactly popular, either. His most prominent proposals--'the wall', the Muslim ban, mass deportations, etc., are opposed by most Americans. TrumpCare seems to poll in the 17% approval range. The fact that his approval ratings are in the 30s and Congress is even lower is not exactly a ringing mandate.

Still I wouldn't expect McConnell or Ryan or Norquist to suddenly embrace bipartisanship, because it's not in their blood. But Trump ran against the GOP, basically, winning over formerly Dem voters, so he has all the political cover he needs to work both sides.

Imagine where he'd be right now if he said, right out of the gate,
I promised to provide better access to health care, and I meant it. I promised to stand up to the GOP and prevent cuts to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid, and I meant it. I promised to negotiate drug prices on behalf of the American people, and I meant it. I promised to end the ridiculous tax break for hedge fund managers commissions, and I meant it.

I campaigned for forgotten Americans, and I meant it. I ran against the establishment of both parties, but I'll work with anyone who'll help me, and strike back at those who don't.

All of a sudden, the pressure would be on Republicans to get on board and help him keep his promises to American workers, and on Dems to support programs that are better than they might have expected. Instead, he squandered the opportunity and became a patsy of the GOP establishment, and dropped any pretense of any principles at all. Any bipartisan compromise on health care will be far better than what the GOP is proposing, which is more focused on 'keeping our promise to repeal Obamacare' than on any substantive policy issues.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: Jul 10, 2017, 05:52PM »

Went to Texas for a week. Back in the saddle........

SABOTAGE

I saw, today, the best description I have yet seen of the 6 years of Republican obstruction on “Obamacare”. Since the ACA passed in 2010, the GOP (Government of Putin, today) has been throwing nails and tacks in the path of Obamacare, and then complaining about, and refusing to fix, all the flat tires.

That is paraphrasing, but it is dead, spot on. And now, like the dog that caught the car, Republicans control the Congress and the White House, and that disloyal opposition has come back to bite them in the backside. Bigtime.

For 6 years, Democrats virtually begged Republicans to come to the table and work with them to make what was an imperfect law better. Had the GOP (Government of Putin today) done so, instead of wasting more than 60 useless votes to repeal it, the flaws in the bill might have been fixed by now.

Instead, Republicans find themselves unable to write a bill they can pass through the Houses of Congress they have total control of. Six years of spin, misinformation, and lies have come unraveled, and the American people have come to realize what an improvement the ACA was over what it replaced. Its popularity continues to grow, with support approaching 60%.

And now, Republicans are doing everything they can to force through a horrible “repeal and replace” piece of legislation that even their President has labeled as “too mean”. Mitch McConnell cannot garner anything close to the 50 votes he needs to pass his “Better Care Reconciliation Act”, which has the support of only 17% of the population.

And, McConnell is beginning to understand the scope of the devastation his 6 years of sabotage have wrought on the health care insurance industry in this country. “No action is not an alternative, we’ve got insurance markets imploding all over this country, including in this state”. Kentucky, the state McConnell represents, was the biggest beneficiary of the ACA.

"If my side is unable to agree on an adequate replacement, then some kind of action with regard to the private health insurance market must occur," McConnell said. He suggests, horror of horrors, Republicans may actually have to reach out to Democrats in order to save them from themselves.

Imagine where we might be if six years ago McConnell and his party had put the good of the American people ahead of the good of their party.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: Jul 10, 2017, 09:18PM »

Imagine where we might be if six years ago McConnell and his party had put the good of the American people ahead of the good of their party.

Wishful thinking.  The real GOP died April 15, 1865.  It's not coming back.  Time for a new party.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: Jul 18, 2017, 06:48AM »

This week's column:

Made in America

There is a website called TWIT, The Week in Trump. One would assume its intent is to parody the asininity of the Twit-in Chief, but rarely is parody needed. Our President is such an asinine ass parody would be redundant.

There are so many examples just from this week it is like shooting buffalo in a corral trying to pick a target. Take yesterday’s roll out of “Made in America Week”. The irony and hypocrisy of Drumpf heralding “Made in America” should not be lost on any thinking American.

The first premise of “Made in America Week” is that products manufactured here are superior in quality. There is no problem with that concept. American industrial standards/ regulations and labor laws do insure that most of what is manufactured here IS of the highest quality.

The irony and hypocrisy begin when those facts are spewed from the mouth of a President who is the anti-thesis of everything the week is supposed to stand for. He is doing his best (which is, thankfully, not much to brag about) to gut and deconstruct the bodies of those regulations and laws that make American manufacturing the best in the world.

His intent is to make America competitive, not by bringing the rest of the world up to our standards, but by lowering our standards to the point the corporations who off-shored our manufacturing, including him, can find here the low wages and freedom from  regulation that took them off-shore to begin with.

It’s hard to imagine anything more ironic than Drumpf, whose primary goal in his Presidency is to line his and his family’s pockets, claiming American products are the best. Virtually nothing in any of the Drumpf family’s lines of products are “Made in America”. He is admitting something those of us who pay attention have known for a long time. The products he shills are of inferior quality and craftsmanship.

The list of labels from Drumpf labeled clothing, home accessories, etc. would include names like Bangladesh, Mexico, China, Indonesia, and VietNam, but nary a one with the “Made in America” label. The same is true of the furnishings and linens in his $850 a night hotels, which were built with Chinese steel.

Drumpf is a cheapskate of the highest magnitude, and has no interest in the Presidency other than what he can make from it for himself. He’s made America a punchline.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: