Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097000 Posts in 72466 Topics- by 19547 Members - Latest Member: 19jspencer
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trump: worst president  (Read 360 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 11:31 AM »

What amazes me is that anyone outside of the bubble of Congress who was really paying attention knew the intelligence books had been cooked by the Bushies. THere was ample evidence available to refute the whole WMD lies they used to push us into that conflict.

I recall the arguments against it, like from the UN weapons inspectors. I was paying attention.

At the time, I believed that the intelligence from our super-advanced CIA and the assurances of the Bush admin had to be of greater accuracy and greater reliability. I also didn't believe that a US President would just flat out lie so he could have a war. I didn't believe that SoS Colin Powell would help them lie to get a war.

I was swayed by Dick Cheney's assertion that any lack of evidence was only more proof of how good Saddam was at hiding it.

I was wrong on all counts! But I think that is similar to how the initially "no" members of Congress got to "yes."

Also remember that all through the Clinton admin, the neocons had been beating the drum about how something "had to be done" about Saddam and that the simple containment policy of Bush41 and Clinton was "unsustainable".  We had all been primed with fears about WMDs and suitcase nukes and bio weapons.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 12:33 PM »

There was a member of Husseins family, a daughter's husband I believe, who defected to the Brits and had given them the straight poop on Saddam and WMD's. HE said they had discontinued the program after the first Gulf War, but had kept up pretenses to keep Iran at bay. US intelligence reported this. It was among the info Cheney buried when he cherry picked the info to rally Congress. Instead, they went with the Iraqi ex-pat "Curveball", who was in a position to prosper from having Saddam removed. THe husband later repatriated to Iraq and begged for forgiveness. Hussein executed him.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 02:24 PM »

Under W the world didn't much like us, but the y did, for the most part, still respect us. Today we are a laughing stock everywhere but in our new capitol, Moscow.

That's not true. Most of the world greatly respects America and Americans. This is mainly because of the founding ideals of the country that most people admire, although the USA hasn't always lived up to those ideals. But we see you, for the most part, honestly trying and achieving enormous success.

There are two things that do make you a laughing stock in most of the rest of the world. The flamboyantly awful behaviour of some of the lowest socio-economic groups in the USA is a disgrace to your country. All that freedom and opportunity in the land of freedom and opportunity, and what do they do with it?  Don't know Secondly, the loony Social Justice activism is ridiculous, and the appeasement of it is even worse. Citizens of countries that DIDN'T start from a position of fundamental freedoms, as the USA did, wonder what mental malfunction would cause you to throw away what you got to start with, that others had to fight so long and hard for.

Government policy takes a long time to filter through and for its effects to manifest themselves. A meaningful assessment can only be made after several years at least, and pros and cons can still be argued over. Anyone saying Donald Trump is the worst President yet is really making a criticism of how he looks and sounds now, on TV or on his Twitter. Alternatively, it's a device to signal enlightenment and goodthink among people who already agree with you politically. It can't possibly be a considered judgement about the lasting impact of his policies during his term in office, not least because the term's not finished yet.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 02:49 PM »

not least because the term's not finished yet.

Don't rub it in,......

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: