Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087077 Posts in 71981 Topics- by 19233 Members - Latest Member: Midnight1961
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 134   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our unbalanced POTUS  (Read 88966 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 09, 2017, 10:49AM »

I just want to point out that the cheap workers are here because an American is hiring them (or enslaving them using some rather devious means).  If no American wanted to hire these people they would have no reason to come here.

The "rich visa" program was intended to encourage investment in rural areas and in urban slums.  Instead, this investment has been in posh areas and just helps the rich get richer.  The program needs to be redirected so that it accomplishes its original purpose or it should be eliminated.

Dusty, you keep railing about lower class workers "jumping the line" for visas.  Here is a chance for rich people to do the same.  Do you feel the same way?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 09, 2017, 11:35AM »

Not until the muddled opposition provides alternatives that the Trump supporters understand and that address some of their real concerns.  Until then, they will continue to accept the spin from the White House. 

To be clear, Trump does not address their real concerns. His list of actions is still small, though they all serve a crowd of billionaires such as or specifically himself. Yet his supporters still support him. It goes much the same way with a great deal of the GOP and their representatives. Even their most recent attempt to remake obamacare was a handout to the rich, while likely hurting their own base even more. And the perspective tax proposals? Would eviscerate their own base, and programs their base depends on.

Understanding...

It better shown in the model of domestic abuse, when the victim often clings strongly to the very person committing the abuse. Even to the point of defending the attacks against them.

Also reminds me of an interview around the election. A coal miner was saying that the government should help support them, if not in keeping the jobs than in helping to retrain for new jobs. Market forces were taking away the jobs. Obama and democrats were actually pushing for the retraining. It was the stonewalling efforts of the GOP that stopped everything dead. And as a result, the man said he would vote for the GOP this round. Understanding? Not hardly.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 09, 2017, 05:18PM »

I'm just talking off the top of my head without research because I'm too lazy right now to go digging,

THAT I'll agree with

but it sounds like you guys are against foreigners who are willing to come to our country and invest millions of dollars providing jobs to Americans, but are open to the idea of opening up our borders to low skilled workers, or no skilled workers, or terrorists, that will only be 'takers'.

Yeah, those stoop laborers who pick our food for us are a bunch of 'takers'! Look how much harder you work than they do!

Since you guys love open borders,

Really! Find one post where anyone here supported 'open borders'. If you find it, address it to that person. Since you made it up, I'll remind you that when you continually lie, people quit taking you seriously. You and your president would both benefit from a re-reading of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Seriously, quit making stuff up.

then instead of Trump offering visas to Chinese investors, why don't the Chinese investors just come across our open borders and do what they want to do anyway?

The general objection isn't to the existence of EB1 visas (although the president himself has criticized similar programs). The objection is to Kushner's family and company peddling his access to the president using the program.

I'm tired. I'll research this later.  :)

I honestly don't think it will help. Just get someone smart to explain it to you.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 09, 2017, 05:46PM »

Well, I gotta say I had no idea Donald Trump was so upset about the FBI's unfairness to Hilary Clinton. 

Whatta guy!

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 09, 2017, 05:50PM »

So, it looks like Jared just won the FBI director! 😎

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56PM »

But in case you think there might be something else at work in today's news...

...The idea that Trump fired Comey because he was unfair to Hillary Clinton or set aside DOJ guidelines in a way that was damaging to her is clearly not true. Indeed, it is so transparently nonsensical that putting it forward as a rationale suggests a certain presidential indifference to what anyone thinks.

...In criminal trials there are certain actions defendants can take from which judges will tell juries they can infer guilt. In a political context, this is one of those moments.

...There is only one reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from the decision to fire Comey: that there is grave wrongdoing at the center of the Russia scandal and that it implicates the President.

I personally have faith in our President.  I'm sure this is all about upholding the very highest ethical standards, as we know he has done in all his dealings prior to this.

Robert Holmén

B0B

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 09, 2017, 06:01PM »

Did yall see the letters today?

The deputy director recommended it based on the handling of the clinton emails (something sessions and trump actually praised him for), session basically said "i agree with him", and trump... couldn't even just say "yeah, I agree", but had to bring in the russia probe in all of his 5 sentences.

Almost seems like a cartoon villain.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02PM »

Does running the FBI come before reorganizing the government and finding peace in the Middle East?
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 09, 2017, 06:03PM »

Does running the FBI come before reorganizing the government and finding peace in the Middle East?
When it's a choice between running the FBI and running FROM the FBI... seems that way, yup.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1029 on: May 09, 2017, 07:05PM »

But in case you think there might be something else at work in today's news...

I personally have faith in our President.  I'm sure this is all about upholding the very highest ethical standards, as we know he has done in all his dealings prior to this.

:D

BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 09, 2017, 07:07PM »

This is so awfully sad - I mean reading through implied irony.  I know I'm not an American, but not a day goes past when something about the presidential joke does not have me shaking my head or hitting it against the palm of my hand.  Unless something is done about the lout, I can see a crippled US and wounded world.  He's just plain bad spawn.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 09, 2017, 07:10PM »

So, it looks like Jared just won the FBI director! 😎
You're cheering on the systematic creation of hell.  You know that, don't you?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1032 on: May 09, 2017, 07:17PM »

This is right out of a bad novel

:cry:
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 09, 2017, 08:25PM »

This is right out of a bad novel

:cry:

Or out of the Nixon administration. Remember the "Saturday Night Massacre"?

Apparently, many months after its conclusion, Comey's disposition of the case is suddenly sticking in the Trump administration's craw? What a crock. The idea of the president firing the head of the FBI while it's investigating his campaign is obviously an attempt to hobble the agency and obstruct the investigation.

The pretext given by the administration makes no sense at all.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1034 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53PM »

Or out of the Nixon administration. Remember the "Saturday Night Massacre"?

Apparently, many months after its conclusion, Comey's disposition of the case is suddenly sticking in the Trump administration's craw? What a crock. The idea of the president firing the head of the FBI while it's investigating his campaign is obviously an attempt to hobble the agency and obstruct the investigation.

The pretext given by the administration makes no sense at all.

Trump is naive if he thinks it will just blow over.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36PM »

Trump is naive if he thinks it will just blow over.

Nixon's acceptance of the resignations of Richardson and Ruckelshaus at Justice, who refused to fulfill his order to fire Archibald Cox as special prosecutor, was the on-ramp to the final slope to his ultimate downfall (in an interesting sidelight, the job of firing Cox went to Robert Bork, who was eventually rejected as a Supreme Court justice). Cox's replacement, Leon Jaworski, proved to be no more amenable.

This is much worse than people realize. The disinformation campaign--tarring Yates and Comey and everyone else who has the goods on the president's campaign--is blatant and deplorable. It's suitable for a banana republic, not the US.

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 09, 2017, 10:13PM »

I'm still inclined to think that there isn't anything more than some stunning personal embarrassment for Trump at the bottom of this, like... us finding out he isn't really a billionaire, but that he is so petty and vindictive that, yeah, he'd fire an FBI director just to stop that from coming out.

Maybe I'm just too attached to the media image he created for himself in his TV years.

Robert Holmén

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 10, 2017, 04:32AM »

I'm still inclined to think that there isn't anything more than some stunning personal embarrassment for Trump at the bottom of this, like... us finding out he isn't really a billionaire, but that he is so petty and vindictive that, yeah, he'd fire an FBI director just to stop that from coming out.

Maybe I'm just too attached to the media image he created for himself in his TV years.

I believe Graham and a few others are finally getting to the closet where Drumpf's skeletons reside with their shifting of inquiries to his business ties to the oligarchs. THey have been propping up his fortune for years, and he is almost surely guilty of some form of money laundering for their kleptocracy from the Russian people. THe Senate committee just requested all paper work the Dept of Treasury Financial Crimes division has on Drumpf and anyone affiliated with his campaign. THis sucks for the country, but this boil on our ass has to be lanced.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 10, 2017, 05:11AM »

Did yall see the letters today?

The deputy director recommended it based on the handling of the clinton emails (something sessions and trump actually praised him for), session basically said "i agree with him", and trump... couldn't even just say "yeah, I agree", but had to bring in the russia probe in all of his 5 sentences.

Almost seems like a cartoon villain.

I've been calling it a cartoon presidency since about January 20th.

At least a couple of talking head types were comparing that glaringly out of place comment about having been exonerated to a 5th grader's ability to lie. It strikes me that may of The Donald's lies are kind of a litmus test. If you're either selectively vapid enough or truly just mentally handicapped enough to buy many of them, you're useful to Trump types. If you aren't then you're potentially dangerous to them, but maybe very useful if you can make a solid show of pretending to buy them. In any case it's crystal clear what "values" don't actually mean to "values voters" who actually support this cartoon president, particularly when they're the same people who had deep personal type issues with Obama and Carter.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1039 on: May 10, 2017, 08:54AM »

Our economy is supposed to reward competence and results, not insider connections.

Talk about living in a fantasy world!

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 134   Go Up
Print
Jump to: