Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072812 Posts in 71143 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 99   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our unbalanced POTUS  (Read 50793 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53PM »

I bet what we end up with in the end is something like the Hillary exoneration... extremely careless, poor handling of materials, naive in their contacts with foreigners... but no actual laws broken.

Unless the money laundering thing is real.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17PM »

I have a sneaking suspicion that when they start following the money they will discover that a lot of Trump's real estate dealings were with oligarch banks in Russia laundering money.  Also some of his cabinet will be implicated.  I think the most innocent of them is probably Sessions.

Trump is probably going to get his head handed to him by the Israelis if they confirm that the secrets he revealed to the Russians were given by Israel.  It's one thing to spill our intelligence, but to spill somebody else's without permission is a major diplomacy blunder.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34AM »

Trump is probably going to get his head handed to him by the Israelis if they confirm that the secrets he revealed to the Russians were given by Israel.  It's one thing to spill our intelligence, but to spill somebody else's without permission is a major diplomacy blunder.
Doubtful. For all of our allies, Israel is probably the one that needs us and our funds and supplies the most. I don't think they can  really retaliate too much without risking that. Especially with a man who has proven he has the emotional maturity of a middle schooler.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 18, 2017, 08:18AM »

Making the rounds...

(quote from President Trump's recent commencement address at the Coast Guard Academy)

Robert Holmén

BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 18, 2017, 08:33AM »

Making the rounds...

(quote from President Trump's recent commencement address at the Coast Guard Academy)

This works here too.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33AM »

As he wallows in his delusions of grandeur, he should also look at the attacks on Abraham Lincoln.

Source: http://www.historynet.com/abraham-lincoln-takes-the-heat.htm

Such cartoons usually depicted Lincoln as a country bumpkin with a wild thatch of uncombed hair, clad in ill-fitting pantaloons and open-necked shirts, and wielding a log rail to ward off serious inquiries into his supposedly dangerous views on racial equality. Currier & Ives of New York may have crafted the quintessential 1860 campaign cartoon when they portrayed The Rail Candidate astride a log rail labeled Republican National Platform, being carried to the White House by supporters. It is true I have Split Rails, the uncomfortable nominee declares, but I begin to feel as if this Rail would split me, it’s the hardest stick I ever straddled. Coarser variations on the theme depicted him erecting log-rail camouflage to conceal niggers in the woodpile–metaphorically minimizing attention on the stormy slavery issue by focusing voters instead on his inspiring ascent from a log cabin to the White House.

Bruce Guttman
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 18, 2017, 10:00AM »

No idea about the link pictured by the way--great image, but I'm not familiar with that outfit.

I'll note that "NewsCorpse" is an allusion to Rupert Murdoch's "News Corporation" AKA "News Corp"

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 18, 2017, 12:43PM »

Executive summary of what their voters believe...

The Flight 93 Election

In case you’ve had the pleasure of forgetting, “The Flight 93 Election” was the title of a portentous essay, published last September under a Roman pseudonym in The Claremont Review of Books, that declared the stakes for the United States in 2016 thus: “Charge the cockpit or you die.”

In the lurid imagination of the author — it turned out to be Michael Anton, who now holds a senior job in the White House — the American republic was Flight 93, a plane deliberately set on a course for destruction by liberals and their accomplices in the Republican establishment and the globalist “Davoisie.” As for Donald Trump, Anton implied that he was the political equivalent of Todd Beamer, the heroic passenger who cried “Let’s Roll” in a desperate bid for salvation.

...To reread “The Flight 93 Election” today is to understand what has gone wrong not only with the Trump presidency, but also with so much of the conservative movement writ large. In a word, it’s become unhinged.

To imply, as Anton did, that Barack Obama, for all his shortcomings, was Ziad Jarrah, Flight 93’s lead hijacker, is vile. To suppose that we’d all be dead if Hillary Clinton, for all her flaws, had been elected is hallucinatory. To argue that the United States, for all its problems, was the equivalent of a doomed aircraft is absurd. To suggest that Donald Trump, a man who has sacrificed nothing in his life for anyone or anything, is the worthy moral heir to the Flight 93 passengers is a travesty.

It is the mark of every millenarian fanatic to assume that the world stands on the verge of a precipice, and that only radical or violent action can save it. That’s the premise of Anton’s essay. It’s also the kind of thinking that has inspired extremists from time immemorial, including the people who grabbed the planes on 9/11.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 18, 2017, 01:47PM »

It's starting already.  The premise for a long stretch of "I/we/they can't comment on an ongoing investigation" has been laid...

Graham’s Takeaway From Briefing With Deputy AG: Russia Probe Is Now Criminal

...Graham, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, argued that Rosenstein’s appointment of former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel in charge of the probe would have the effect of limiting Congress’ ability to carry out parallel investigations.

“What does that mean for the Congress? I find it hard to subpoena records of somebody like Mr. Flynn who may be subject to a criminal investigation because he has a right not to incriminate himself,” he said, referring to Trump’s ousted national security adviser Michael Flynn.

Robert Holmén

altobone64
« Reply #1129 on: May 19, 2017, 01:35PM »

I'll note that "NewsCorpse" is an allusion to Rupert Murdoch's "News Corporation" AKA "News Corp"

Roger Ailes is a news corpse:
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/05/19/roger-ailes-was-one-worst-americans-ever
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53PM »

Today's merriment...

An unnamed American official read out a summary of the meeting to the Times.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Trump said, according to the document summarizing the meeting. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

“I’m not under investigation,” the President reportedly told Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak in a May 10 meeting in the Oval Office.

Press Secretary Sean Spicer did not deny the accuracy of Trump’s quotes in a statement to the Times.

I think I can guess how Trump lost a billion dollars in the 90s.

The warning signs before and during the deal were probably all apparent to anyone with sense, but no one with sense was allowed in his circle, not if they told him anything he didn't want to hear.

He seems to seriously imagine that if he kills the messenger, the problem goes away too.

Robert Holmén

Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13PM »

Today's merriment...

I think I can guess how Trump lost a billion dollars in the 90s.

The warning signs before and during the deal were probably all apparent to anyone with sense, but no one with sense was allowed in his circle, not if they told him anything he didn't want to hear.

He seems to seriously imagine that if he kills the messenger, the problem goes away too.

I think you are absolutely correct. It always worried me that so many people thought Trump would be a good President, based on the fact that he was a successful businessman. I even read that view many times on this forum. The reason I did not agree was because during the election campaign he came across as a complete idiot with no interpersonal skills. He was much like the several completely hopeless managers I encountered in my business career, who were in charge of successful businesses and given credit for that. Whereas, it was purely circumstance (market conditions, high investment, luck, etc.) that created the successful businesses and not the competence of their management. Yeah, RIGHT.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 19, 2017, 09:56PM »

I think you are absolutely correct. It always worried me that so many people thought Trump would be a good President, based on the fact that he was a successful businessman.

He has managed to deplete his fathers wealth substantially.  His business acumen can be summed up in the word 'squat'.  Let's for the moment forget his multiple bankruptcy claims.  The only thing that has revived him is his family's name.  It apparently holds sway in certain circles.

I even read that view many times on this forum.

You need to heed from who that view comes.

The reason I did not agree was because during the election campaign he came across as a complete idiot with no interpersonal skills.

My observation exactly.  Which brings us to the special point ... who voted for him?  It seems, out of the trombone playing community anyway, less than .01% are willing to admit to voting for him.  Even then, the only reasons we can verify is that he's pro life (he said so) and he's not Hillary (Thanks Billy).

He was much like the several completely hopeless managers I encountered in my business career, who were in charge of successful businesses and given credit for that. Whereas, it was purely circumstance (market conditions, high investment, luck, etc.) that created the successful businesses and not the competence of their management. Yeah, RIGHT.

I'm sorry your experience with management was like that. It's not supposed to be that way, but I will admit that some do get promoted to their level of incompetence in some circumstances.  Still - it is not supposed to be that way.  If it happened where you work/worked then I can only offer my condolences.  This sort of thing can work its way into the culture of a workplace and make the lives of the real producers miserable.  It does not always have to be that way.  I can personally assure you of that, for what good that does you now.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 21, 2017, 09:06AM »

Candidate Trump...

President Trump...

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13AM »

Wonder if he realizes that the medal belongs to the People of the United States and he can't take it with him or hock it. :-P

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 21, 2017, 02:27PM »

Turns out when we say President Clouseau/The Donald acts like a child, we're probably being unfair to children.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 21, 2017, 02:59PM »

Analysis piece, reading between the lines of what has been revealed so far about the investigations.

“Financial Crimes” And Why Trump is Right to Worry

...What jumped out to me was that the authors twice invoked investigators’ focus on “financial crimes.”...

...But even if you take the Russia/former Soviet Union connection with its geopolitical dynamics out of the equation, you simply can’t read over these deals and not see that Trump and his crew just play way out on the outer fringe of legality at best. At best. People who have done or subsequently did time in the US or other countries repeatedly appear in the picture. So do people from organized crime. A lot.

...Then there’s another level of it. Even apart from big bad acts and corrupt deals, look at the stuff David Fahrenthold dug up on the Trump Foundation and his Potemkin charitable giving. Beyond issues of possible illegality, the big takeaway there was that Trump operates with a seemingly almost total disregard for rule-following or even a lot of elementary record keeping.

...But even with a basic investigative reporting background, you can’t work through even part of Trump’s business history without finding numerous ventures that look like they would not survive first contact with real prosecutorial scrutiny. 

We know that has happened once already.  Trump University did not survive contact with prosecutorial scrutiny.

Robert Holmén

altobone64
« Reply #1137 on: May 21, 2017, 03:17PM »

President Mike Pence? Dems should be 'careful what they wish for', experts say:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/21/mike-pence-president-democrats-conservatives

As much fun as it would be to see Trump impeached and tossed out on the street, I find the prospect of President Pence to be far more frightening.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 21, 2017, 04:05PM »

President Mike Pence? Dems should be 'careful what they wish for', experts say:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/21/mike-pence-president-democrats-conservatives

As much fun as it would be to see Trump impeached and tossed out on the street, I find the prospect of President Pence to be far more frightening.

I believe the complete Dem fantasy includes Pence being sunk by this too...

“Trump's Presidency Ended May 9th” – Hatch Getting Security Briefings

No, I don't regard that article as well-founded. It makes some preposterous assertions, like saying that having the Press Secretary tell a lie is a violation of the Constitution.  Yeah, RIGHT.

Robert Holmén

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 22, 2017, 03:31AM »

The other problem with the 'Trump Impeachment Fantasy' is that it would put American democracy in peril.

Of course only 40% or so of Americans still support Trump, but they occupy large, mostly uneducated swatches of America. Think how delusional you had to be to support Trump, then think how delusional you have to be to continue supporting now that he's presented us with his dog's breakfast of a presidency.

Now remember that these people have lots of guns, and aren't going to blithely admit, "I voted for a complete dunce." They're going to think that the establishment GOP and Dems and the liberal media rose up as one and cast out our savior because they didn't want the swamp drained. Lord only knows what they'll do.

Please, please, let this guy finish his term, and just hope to hell he doesn't go any further off the rails.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 99   Go Up
Print
Jump to: