Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092465 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our unbalanced POTUS  (Read 107449 times)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:10PM »

I really don't know what you're talking about. You have been making claims that the freedom caucus is not for fiscal responsibility, and I'm just trying to understand why you think that. I'm not demanding anything from you. Your responses are just pejoratives.

It's pretty plain. The Freedom Caucus's one binding principle was opposition to policies that increased the deficit. They basically shut down the gov't in service of that idea, and in the long run chased Boehner out for not being sufficiently pure of heart.

Early in Trump's term, these guys made a little noise about tax reform being 'revenue neutral' or matching tax cuts with spending cuts. In short order, they just rolled over and shut up about it.

This reveals the whole thing to be a political gimmick in the first place. The Tea Party assumed that they had aroused a mass movement of everyday people who were pissed off about the debt. Instead, they had aroused a mass movement of people who just wanted to be pissed off about something, and weren't too fussy about what it was. When the debt ceased to be a politically useless trope, they simply abandoned it.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:20PM »

Look, I agree that any funds collected should be spent first reducing the debt first.
To be clear... there are no additional funds collected. There is actually less.

Nor did the deficit of a bit over 1 trillion a year under obama go away. It's still there, and it just got bigger.

If you consider the budget under Obama to be fiscally irresponsible, well, this one just got worse.

It's ironic that I didn't hear from everybody wondering where fiscal responsibility was during the last 8 years of Obama, but I guess, that's just politics. 
Like politics are to say look over there, where your side fails to uphold it's own standards?

Long and short, the GOP - both establishment and freedom caucus - campaigned on and hammered fiscal responsibility the past 6-8 years.

That is, after they lost the white house and congress. Before the, the VP himself stated explicitly: "deficits don't matter"

So now they get back into power... what do they do again?

"Deficits don't matter"

Establishment. Freedom caucus. Most every republican in power currently.

They lied to you and played you.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:08PM »

Now, I'm not saying growing the deficit by 1 Trillion dollars in ten years is a good thing, but you're complaining about one Trillion in 10 years, after Obama added about 10 Trillion in 8 years?

Now, I definitely don't like adding to the deficit at all, but those numbers at least look like an improvement by any measure.

That's not a valid comparison, because it's comparing the impact from a single bill to the entire change in the deficit.The deficit will rise for reasons unrelated to this bill, like military expansion, non-discretionary increases, infrastructure and so forth. This bill is not the only factor that will affect the deficit while Trump is president.  Do you understand that? Just kidding.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:09PM »

I really don't know what you're talking about. You have been making claims that the freedom caucus is not for fiscal responsibility, and I'm just trying to understand why you think that. I'm not demanding anything from you. Your responses are just pejoratives.

The responses are clear. The Freedom Caucus was pretending to care about the deficit, and they apparently don't. That's not based on fake news, that's based on their votes.

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:13PM »

Ready to step in...

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:56AM »

Who Photoshopped the makeup on him?  Really makes him look scary.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:12AM »

Who Photoshopped the makeup on him?  Really makes him look scary.

Him?

I thought it was Julie Andrews!

It's going around Facebook.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:49AM »

If you were worried that Donald Trump was running the country...

Fox News Tricks President Into Opposing His Own Bill

This morning the President got confused by a Fox news segment and lashed out at his own FISA reauthorization bill on Twitter.

Robert Holmén

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:31PM »

And the scam continues.........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/becoming-president-trump-sold-millions-205935557.html

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:45PM »

You probably need an NYT sub to see it but it's along chart of arrows showing how much Trump's support among various slices of the voters has changed.

A red arrow to the left means a loss of support.

There are no arrows to the right.

A Year Later, Trump Is Less Popular Across Voting Blocs. See by How Much.

Robert Holmén

BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:04PM »

Interesting....

It seems he still has More support from republican women than I expect.  They must be used to abusive authority figures to support such a masogenistic bully.

Is this proof that a form of stupidity can be nurtured?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Doghouse Dan

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:07PM »

Washington post headine:

"Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘shithole’ countries"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-attacks-protections-for-immigrants-from-shithole-countries-in-oval-office-meeting/2018/01/11/bfc0725c-f711-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?utm_term=.ebf59e66e85b

This should be very interesting.

Dan Walker
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it...
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:10PM »

Interesting....

It seems he still has More support from republican women than I expect.  They must be used to abusive authority figures to support such a masogenistic bully.

Is this proof that a form of stupidity can be nurtured?

You saw this in Alabama.  There are a lot of Alabamians who would vote for a dog if he ran on the Republican ticket, yet Roy Moore was so repugnant that many stayed home rather than vote for a Democrat.

I think this is also how Trump got elected.   There were a lot of voters who considered the choices so repugnant that they elected to stay home rather than support a woman or a jerk.

Bruce Guttman
Bimmerman

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:28PM »

You saw this in Alabama.  There are a lot of Alabamians who would vote for a dog if he ran on the Republican ticket, yet Roy Moore was so repugnant that many stayed home rather than vote for a Democrat.

I think this is also how Trump got elected.   There were a lot of voters who considered the choices so repugnant that they elected to stay home rather than support a woman or a jerk.

While I'm sure there are many who didn't support Hillary because she's a woman, I personally know many who have despised her specifically since the 90s. I don't think her being a woman was as much of a factor as her being Hillary, with all the Clinton baggage, was. Or at least I hope so, because otherwise a large portion of our society are terrible humans.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:46PM »

While I'm sure there are many who didn't support Hillary because she's a woman, I personally know many who have despised her specifically since the 90s. I don't think her being a woman was as much of a factor as her being Hillary, with all the Clinton baggage, was. Or at least I hope so, because otherwise a large portion of our society are terrible humans.

It occurs to me that if we take all the worst that Hillary was accused of, that's basically Donald Trump plus being female.

So Donald Trump's a hero.  Clinton... "too much baggage!"

Maybe it is that she's a woman.

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:59PM »

Oh no...

"“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

The comments left lawmakers taken aback, according to people familiar with their reactions. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) proposed cutting the visa lottery program by 50 percent and prioritizing countries already in the system, a White House official said.

A White House spokesman defended Trump’s position on immigration without directly addressing Trump’s remarks.

Why would Norwegians want to immigrate to a shithole (how did that make it through the auto-censor?) country like the US? The US has gun violence, a failing medical system, lower standard of living (Norway has a higher GDP per capita) combined with greater wage equality, lower social mobility, and Donald Trump.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:06PM »

These are the same words used 100 years ago about Eastern Europeans, Southern Europeans, and Irish immigrants.  And Trump's Grandfather, by the way.

It saddens me as a child of immigrant grandparents to hear this,

Anybody from any country who wants to come here and make a life should have that opportunity.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:06PM »

Anybody from any country who wants to come here and make a life should have that opportunity.
Opportunity, Yes. Guaranteed? No.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:08PM »

Who has a guarantee?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:15PM »

I remember how conservatives used to crow about how the people "voting with their feet" to get to the US and proved how superior the US was over other countries.

Now that the Cold War is over, they are not politically advantageous anymore.

Robert Holmén

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146   Go Up
Print
Jump to: