Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088979 Posts in 71983 Topics- by 19325 Members - Latest Member: StanKenton69
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 136   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our unbalanced POTUS  (Read 95115 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:55PM »

From the "An Innocent Man Should Not Fear An Investigation" desk...

Is Trump Worried About the Manafort Raid?

President Trump’s lawyer John Dowd allegedly sent an email to The Wall Street Journal in which he said, among other things, that the raid on Paul Manafort’s home was a gross abuse of power...

...This seems highly irregular on a few fronts, both legally and politically. To state the obvious, Paul Manafort is not Dowd’s client. Dowd is Donald Trump’s lawyer. So it’s not even clear to me he would have standing to make a motion to suppress this evidence, let alone an interest in doing so that the President would want to be admitting publicly. He might have standing if the evidence ended up being used against Dowd’s client, Donald Trump. But is that true? And is it something Dowd wants to be admitting?

If it’s not true, why does Dowd care about the Manafort raid at all? His job is to defend his client, not Paul Manafort...

Another commentary notes that the dogged pursuit of common financial crimes may be to avoid using evidence that would reveal intelligence sources.

Similar To How They Got Capone

“‘I’ve done this in espionage cases where there were sources and methods I couldn’t reveal,” Lonergan told TPM. “What I did is I charged financial crimes and showed that somebody who I knew was a spy for another country had $5 million in unexplained income and never paid taxes on it, and that income came from China. Do I reveal what they did for China and our sources and methods and how we know that? No. And I avoid that by the money. You got money, you didn’t pay taxes on it.”

“A lot of times the way you stay away from your classified information and being forced to reveal your sources and methods is you just track the money and the money speaks for itself,” she added.

But after Trump gets convicted of tax evasion he'll tweet, "Long trial. Crooked Mueller showed no evidence of collusion. Federal money wasted!"

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2141 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:42AM »

And now Trump states that he has upgraded the United States nuclear weapon system.

"My first order as president was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal..."

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/08/11/fact-check-donald-trump-north-korea-memorandum-orig-ty.cnn

Is there no end to his lies?  >:(
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:46AM »

And now Trump states that he has upgraded the United States nuclear weapon system.

Upgraded: took the button from Obama and now has it.

Note that the Military is in a multi-year program to modernize our Nuclear arsenal.  Mostly making sure that outdated parts are replaced and that delivery systems are more reliable.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:20PM »

"My first order as president was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal..."

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/08/11/fact-check-donald-trump-north-korea-memorandum-orig-ty.cnn

Another from this morning...

we are "locked and loaded" should NK do anything.

If he means full military, nope... it takes a bit to mobilize the full forces, and we haven't started.

If he means nukes, well... one could be launched within minutes of his orders, but god I hope he doesn't mean nukes.
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:36PM »

Remember we launched the first one without the President's approval. 

Tim Richardson
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2145 on: Aug 11, 2017, 01:28PM »

I believe that Truman approved the dropping of both atomic bombs on Japan before they were launched.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: Aug 11, 2017, 01:39PM »

I believe that Truman approved the dropping of both atomic bombs on Japan before they were launched.

Quite right.  And he agonized over it for days before they were dropped.  He sincerely hoped the first one would end the war immediately but apparently Japan wasn't impressed enough so he had to drop the second.

We were worried that if Barry Goldwater was elected he would drop the Bomb on a moment's notice, although he was much more rational than the guy in the White House now (actually, on his golf courses).

Note that the Gulf of Tonkin resolution does not allow first strike (or even retaliatory) Nuclear attacks.  You have to get Congress to approve the response.

Bruce Guttman
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: Aug 11, 2017, 03:53PM »

According to the PBS special The Bomb:
http://www.pbs.org/show/bomb/

which I just watched because of the anniversary that just passed, it's not at all clear that he did.  As vice president he had not been told about the program, and he had not been President long at that time.  They were unable to find any evidence that he actually okayed it, and speculated that it may have just had so much momentum at that point that the military may have just sort of followed the plan.

Which is kind of scary if you think about it.  But that's not uncommon when you've been on the road to Abilene or anywhere else for a long time. 

Tim Richardson
badger

View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: Aug 11, 2017, 04:06PM »

Easy Now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFgnitHXHg

;-)
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:44PM »

According to this history, Truman was President on April 12 and was informed of the Manhattan prj in the 24th, where "Truman authorized the continuation of the project and agreed to form an interim committee that would advise the president on using the weapon."

This was before one had even been tested. At this point he knows as much as Roosevelt did.

"On July 16, the team of scientists at the Alamogordo, New Mexico, research station successfully exploded the first atomic bomb. Truman gave Stimson the handwritten order to release when ready but not sooner than August 2 on July 31, 1945."

It is telling that the bomb was not dropped until after the Potsdam conference and Declaration of July 26 which said

"We call upon the government of Japan to proclaim now the unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces, and to provide proper and adequate assurances of their good faith in such action. The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction."

Truman's August 2 at-the-earliest-date is one week after the Declaration, giving Japan realistic time to consider surrender.

No, Truman wasn't picking targets, but the circumstances strongly suggest that the dropping of the bomb was under rein of the White House policy and that the generals were not making the decision on their own.

Robert Holmén

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: Aug 11, 2017, 06:55PM »

Why write a whole song about crummy trombones?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: Aug 12, 2017, 12:27PM »

Looks like the anti-anti-discrimination crowd, aka white supremacists, is showing what they are all about in VA currently.

To note, Charlottesville is a beautiful town, nestled just against the mountains in VA. It leans liberal, and also kinda hippy. They are slated to take down a statue of robert e lee, you know, the leader of the battle for that unnamed "state's right", and had the gall to rename two parks. So a mass of thousands of white, basically all male and 20-40 aged, rolled up into a town they largely did not live in, protested actions that had no affect on them, attacked the people that live there.

Those poor white victims for whom life is not under attack in a place they do not live... how hard it must be for them that some feel a need to get into a car and run over those that protest their protesting. It's about free speech! Now shut up!

Welcome to Trump's america, yall.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: Aug 12, 2017, 02:10PM »

Well, I guess it's only fair play.  Remember all the out-of-town Black and liberal White folks who invaded Alabama 40 years ago to support voting rights? :-P

Bruce Guttman
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2153 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:03AM »

I find it very telling that Trump tiptoes around in his statement after the tragedy that happened in VA. While he is quick to insult Muslims, the physically afflicted, women, et al. he is careful not to criticize the white racists (terrorists) who are responsible. Why not? They are his constituency.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:19AM »

I'd say it's unlikely he's going to ever have a road-to-Damascus moment and change his world view.

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: Aug 13, 2017, 10:35AM »

Back to affirmative action for a moment. From the New Yorker (Aug 10):

When the New York Times reported, last week, that the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division was internally seeking lawyers to investigate or litigate “intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions,” many people immediately assumed that the Trump Administration was hoping to benefit whites by assailing affirmative action. The Department soon insisted that it specifically intends to revive a 2015 complaint against Harvard filed with the Education and Justice Departments by sixty-four Asian-American groups, making the same claim as the current court case: that Harvard intentionally discriminates against Asians in admissions, giving whites an advantage. (The complaint had previously been dismissed in light of the already-pending lawsuit.) The combination of the lawsuit and the potential federal civil-rights inquiry signals that the treatment of Asians will frame the next phase of the legal debate over race-conscious admissions programs.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:21AM »

Pundits have been fond of saying Trump's long-time business practices would not withstand first contact with legal scrutiny. 

Here you go

Emails Say Whole Trump Family Participated In SoHo Hotel Criminal Enterprise

It’s beginning to look like Special Counsel Mueller will catch President Trump and his three eldest children committing the first ever reality TV show assisted financial crime, all collaborating in a $350 million dollar bank fraud.

Three weeks ago, Bloomberg News reported that Mueller is focusing on the lower Manhattan Trump Soho Hotel deal and Vanity Fair reported today that new emails reveal the Trump family’s participation in a criminal enterprise there.

The Russian money trail leads right through the president’s troubled project in downtown Manhattan. A series of e-mails reveals new details.

Tonight, we’ve obtained leaked copies of those emails which are embedded below.

These leaked emails are the first evidence that proves that Donald Trump and his family personally knew of Sater’s crime and participated in a meeting about covering it up.

Charges might come but will there ever be a conviction?  Pardons aside, now that Trump has signaled his support for the white supremacist cause, all it will take is one of them on a jury to refuse to convict him of anything, no matter how obvious the case may be.

Robert Holmén

slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2157 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:52AM »

Eeek!
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: Aug 14, 2017, 10:46AM »

Back to affirmative action for a moment. From the New Yorker (Aug 10):

When the New York Times reported, last week, that the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division was internally seeking lawyers to investigate or litigate “intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions,” many people immediately assumed that the Trump Administration was hoping to benefit whites by assailing affirmative action. The Department soon insisted that it specifically intends to revive a 2015 complaint against Harvard filed with the Education and Justice Departments by sixty-four Asian-American groups, making the same claim as the current court case: that Harvard intentionally discriminates against Asians in admissions, giving whites an advantage. (The complaint had previously been dismissed in light of the already-pending lawsuit.) The combination of the lawsuit and the potential federal civil-rights inquiry signals that the treatment of Asians will frame the next phase of the legal debate over race-conscious admissions programs.

That's pretty funny. DD's fake nephews supposedly weren't admitted to UT because less-qualified minorities were accepted ahead of them.

Now it turns out that they might have been accepted at Duke ahead of better-qualified Asians.

Be careful what you wish for.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:25AM »

Now we know what cozying up to Nazis and racists will cost a President... about 1% in his approval rating.

New approval low is 34% but old low was already just 35%.

Robert Holmén

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 136   Go Up
Print
Jump to: