Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066256 Posts in 70859 Topics- by 18682 Members - Latest Member: Tylersmolovik
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentTechnology(Moderator: john sandhagen) Is my phone listening to me or is this paranoia?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is my phone listening to me or is this paranoia?  (Read 1692 times)
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:06AM »

On iPhone, you can set it up to respond to "hey siri"... think it's "ok google" on android, and then echo responds to alexa... there are other devices out there like this as well.

Short answer: in order for your phone to respond to a voice command, it is always listening, and the voice command is just a queue to do something.

Believe part of the CIA hack release was software to make a samsung smart TV appear off, but keep the voice command part on and continuously listening and thus used to spy on folk.

As far as illegal... nope. Not if it's in the terms of use, or you grant the app rights to use different features/functions.
TomBone4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:18AM »

On a related note, just listened to this podcast.... about how marketing targets you through technology...

On this link, scroll down the the February 13th episode, that is the podcast.

They also talk about Basie, so it is already great.

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air

Thomas

Hop on the struggle bus, for I own the company.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:26PM »

I've had recommended to me to use: https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter to download things from youtube.

If you inspect the underlying for Youtube, the copyright info doesn't actually do anything, or at least anything that would prevent you from downloading it.  You may run into issues if you download something very large though. It seems like the reasonable limit for downloading is somewhere around 4 hours.  What I suspect most likely happened is whatever you were using to rip previously wasn't updated when Youtube changed their layout.  It can probably download videos inconsistently depending on the URL you feed into it.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2017, 05:46PM »

I tried about half a dozen before I hit one that worked, youtubeinmp3. 

I wanted to try a cello drone.  I didn't intend to steal one, I will buy someone's product, I just wanted to test one based on recommendations by Don Lucas.  I have a number of sets of drones on my PC now, but never used a cello drone because all the ones I found had vibrato, and I couldn't tell that from beats.  I did buy David Schwartz's tuning CD.

Don recommended humming or singing slowly a half step away from the drone, and making the beats do a carefully steady accelerando.  I tried that with a regular drone and it was hard to hear beats, but with a cello drone it is easy.  I don't pretend to know why. 

Tim Richardson
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:22PM »

Beats are the result of coincidental partials, so their prevalence is dictated by the harmonic content of the two audio signals. The cello drone likely has richer content at the frequencies that are beating against your voice/trombone.

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:24PM »

I think my phone and my microwave are talking about me behind my back.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:04PM »

I tried about half a dozen before I hit one that worked, youtubeinmp3. 

I wanted to try a cello drone.  I didn't intend to steal one, I will buy someone's product, I just wanted to test one based on recommendations by Don Lucas.  I have a number of sets of drones on my PC now, but never used a cello drone because all the ones I found had vibrato, and I couldn't tell that from beats.  I did buy David Schwartz's tuning CD.

Don recommended humming or singing slowly a half step away from the drone, and making the beats do a carefully steady accelerando.  I tried that with a regular drone and it was hard to hear beats, but with a cello drone it is easy.  I don't pretend to know why. 

I'll note that Chromatia Tuner can play any note in any temperament in sine, square, triangle or sawtooth waveforms for different overtone listening.

I also suggest "the Intonation Repair Tool" CD if you like playing to drones.  They have rich, vibrato-free drones in every key, in tonics and open fifths.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:46PM »

Beats are the result of coincidental partials, so their prevalence is dictated by the harmonic content of the two audio signals. The cello drone likely has richer content at the frequencies that are beating against your voice/trombone.
The fundamental should be prevalent, no?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:28AM »

Surprisingly the fundamental renders relatively indiscernible beats. Two detuned sine waves are much harder to detect than signals with rich harmonic content, especially if you are looking at small degrees of mistuning.

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: