Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080186 Posts in 71476 Topics- by 19052 Members - Latest Member: LyleM
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderator: zemry) Jack Green - Urbie's brother
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jack Green - Urbie's brother  (Read 701 times)
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:27AM »

I was wondering if anyone here knows much about Urbie Green's brother Jack. The reason I am asking is because when I was a kid learning to play in the early to mid 70's, he used to live in my hometown - Spartanburg, SC. I never met the man or heard him play but I do remember people telling me there was a great trombone player in town who was Urbie Green's brother. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about jazz at the time, so I really didn't even know who Urbie was. I do remember being mad when the choir director at the local First Baptist church hired him to play on a recording of his musical instead of me, which in retrospect was probably a good move on his part.
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:25PM »

He was one of Urbie's two older trombone playing brothers.  And both he and Urb were on one of my favorite all time sections with Carl Fontana in the 51-52 Third Herd (also known as "The Seldom Herd" because Woody's own label failed pretty badly at that time).  Other than that, I too would like to know more!

zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:01PM »

Hmmmm.....never knew he had a trombone playing brother.

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: