Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063639 Posts in 70741 Topics- by 18560 Members - Latest Member: Karen h
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: BGuttman) Some of my jazz improvisation. Feel free to comment.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some of my jazz improvisation. Feel free to comment.  (Read 2306 times)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:00AM »

Beautiful stuff. Hope you post some more.

I have to agree that the stylistic criticism in this thread isn't very useful, nor is the advice to a professional musician with respect to appealing to a mass audience. It's like looking at a Rothko painting and asking him, "Have you seen that guy on TV who can make a tree with three brush strokes? People really like him!"

If you don't get this kind of thing, you can always play "In the Mood" one more time, I guess. People will listen to that all night.

I also appreciate the technical explanation of the music. I've never been very good at outside playing, even though I like it. Part of the reason I like it is that when it's well done it intuitively makes sense and sounds good to me but I don't know why.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Chris Fidler

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2017, 03:08AM »

Michael Brecker is the master of all inside, outside upside ya headside playing whilst remaining popular and never going out of fashion!!!
An artist who remained true to the music at all times.

Max is clearly a great trombonist, he is on a journey and is searching for his own style which is commendable!!!
I truly hope you can realise your goals and be able to stay true to the music whilst making a decent living.

All the best,
Chris.

The wise musicians are those who play what they can master.
Duke Ellington
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:15AM »

Everyone, or nearly everyone has ended up making comments about his style; with some having chided and half-ridiculed others for not embracing the unfamiliar. This thread reminds me of the Jim Pugh thread about 3 or so years ago where he played a really "out there" piece. Same discussion; different time and different performer.

The OP had stated he didn't want anyone talking about style. And yet, if you think about it, what else is there to comment on? He's a seasoned pro. His articulation, tone and intonation had BETTER be on point or he wouldn't BE a seasoned pro. So what else is left to comment on; a little bit about song pattern or chord progression? Is THAT what he wanted us to comment on?

And even the guys who complimented him on his style were still talking about his style. 

I believe his intentions were good, but I also think he unintentionally and inadvertently slipped us an intellectual sucker punch.  Evil

And I admit, the more I listen to his recordings, the more I like what he is adroitly doing. OOPS! I just commented on style [gasp]! lol

...Geezer

davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2017, 06:13PM »

There has also been a quite bit of positive feedback on this that I have been able to take away. The rest I don't really care about. I'm going to play how Im going to play and thats pretty much that, always has been and its gotten me this far.

I dig this attitude towards the subject personally! I know for myself that I'm a person who more preferably does his own thing. The others can do what they want, but I personally can't really like something that I've created if the whole thing is confined to someone else's rules.
Not that that'd be compared to you or your mindset, Max - just 'saying my thoughts aloud' based on my own experiences, and on how you responded there.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Max Acree

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2017, 12:47AM »

Michael Brecker is the master of all inside, outside upside ya headside playing whilst remaining popular and never going out of fashion!!!
An artist who remained true to the music at all times.

Max is clearly a great trombonist, he is on a journey and is searching for his own style which is commendable!!!
I truly hope you can realise your goals and be able to stay true to the music whilst making a decent living.

All the best,
Chris.

I really appreciate your kind words, but I think there is a misunderstanding. I am a professional in the Boston and New England area that makes my living through playing and teaching. Im going to Argentina this summer to teach Improvisation to Trombone Students for 2 weeks for example, and I've made a record with Jerry Bergonzi and George Garzone that is due this summer. As for my style, the "Searching" was completed a long time ago from my point of view, this is a way of playing that I've come to after many years of hard work and study. The study continues, but not in terms of a building a style , more so adding on to it. Mike is an amazing musician, but not one that I really aspire to sound like or imitate in any way btw. Its ultimately just a personal preference.
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2017, 01:31AM »

We all want and need validation for our endeavours, but to ask it for muddies the waters IMO.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=social+media+validation+quotes&sa=X&biw=1584&bih=951&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjwz8a3norSAhUrBsAKHRJGB94QsAQIHg
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2017, 05:54AM »

I really appreciate your kind words, but I think there is a misunderstanding. I am a professional in the Boston and New England area that makes my living through playing and teaching. Im going to Argentina this summer to teach Improvisation to Trombone Students for 2 weeks for example, and I've made a record with Jerry Bergonzi and George Garzone that is due this summer. As for my style, the "Searching" was completed a long time ago from my point of view, this is a way of playing that I've come to after many years of hard work and study. The study continues, but not in terms of a building a style , more so adding on to it. Mike is an amazing musician, but not one that I really aspire to sound like or imitate in any way btw. Its ultimately just a personal preference.
I was thinking that... You have your own style already.  It is a lot like Hal's but your own, and I like it a lot.  This is the wrong place... Everybody has an opinion and it's not relevant to what you do.  Just do it.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Chris Fidler

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:38AM »

Point taken, however never stop searching!!!!

Best wishes,
Chris

The wise musicians are those who play what they can master.
Duke Ellington
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:46AM »

I read your posts on various threads. Maybe others will spit if I encourage you, but I like how you think.  :)

...Geezer

growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2017, 11:16AM »

I read your posts on various threads. Maybe others will spit if I encourage you, but I like how you think.  :)

...Geezer

I agree too, but I'm not sure that's what was going on here.

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:00PM »

I agree too, but I'm not sure that's what was going on here.

Rest assured, there's no malice involved. Happy to elucidate (!) if you have a query.
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:54PM »

Rest assured, there's no malice involved. Happy to elucidate (!) if you have a query.

I saw no malice  :).  I just don't think there's much to be gained by further questioning Mr Acree's motives.  I appreciated the opportunity to hear some music I hadn't heard.  Some criticism is constructive, some isn't, including that based on assumptions regarding the musical tastes of his audience (which, I hasten to add, you did not make, or at least voice).  If he were unable to attract an audience, and came here asking the denizens of an internet forum why they thought that might be, then fair enough.

Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:26AM »

I saw no malice  :).  I just don't think there's much to be gained by further questioning Mr Acree's motives.  I appreciated the opportunity to hear some music I hadn't heard.  Some criticism is constructive, some isn't, including that based on assumptions regarding the musical tastes of his audience (which, I hasten to add, you did not make, or at least voice).  If he were unable to attract an audience, and came here asking the denizens of an internet forum why they thought that might be, then fair enough.

I don't think that anything will be gained, but did the great artists in every genre baulk at criticism? If I where to ask for an opinion of my playing, as an older person I would assume that most of the responses had some value, sure some would be hard to take, but I wouldn't be looking for validation either.
To put ones music out and advise of that is one thing, asking for comments is another thing altogether. That's FaceBook and Twitter territory..
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:38AM »

That's FaceBook and Twitter territory..

And that must be why I've never been tempted to use either of them.

bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2017, 05:41AM »

And that must be why I've never been tempted to use either of them.

You can't teach an old dog...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: