Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069595 Posts in 70982 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: BGuttman) My Monti-Czardas performance,please listen and comment
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Monti-Czardas performance,please listen and comment  (Read 467 times)
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:49PM »

Hello i have been playing trombone for 3 years and 4 months now.I am third year in high school, 17 years old.My current program is:
-albrechtsberger alto trombone concerto 1st movement
-L. Grøndahl – Trombone Concerto, 1st movement
-V.Monti - Czardas
Can you please give me your honest opinion on this performance of Monti's Czardas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THLP9ajXsGg
Thank you!  :)
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 03:00PM »

Stefan,

Welcome to the Trombone Forum.   Hi

This is a very fine performance, especially for someone who has only played for 3 years!   Good!

You obviously have talent, and have been working hard with a good teacher (and fine accompanist!). 

And, by the way, you have a very nice (Getzen?) trombone. 

Keep practicing and keep posting your videos for our enjoyment.   
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 03:27PM »

Hello!

Well done, lots of good things in that video, yes you have obviously been working hard! You already know what you are good at, so i will just offer some constructive criticism you can think about or choose to ignore  :D

It would be worthwile for you putting on a drone and playing scales in different keys and tonalities over it veeeeeery slowly just to hear exactly where each note sits in tune with the drone. In that performance, a lot of the slower parts were not in tune. To my ear it was more often sharp than flat but it did vary throughout. The most obvious one was the very last note. You overblew a bit and the sound spread out, kinda going thin and very out of tune. Put a drone on Bb, play a Bb major over it, then Bb minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor etc... then change key. It will really help settle your pitch and i think it will help fill out your sound a little more also which could resonate a little better.

The other thing that stuck out to me was that whilst the tempo in the fast tonguing sections was reasonably steady, your precision of which note you were playing i think could have been better. A lot of the fast sections lacked claity of pitch, i could hear the articulation, but not necessarily the note behind it. Put the metronome on very slowly and practice nailing every single note in time, with a quick and precise slide and crisp articulation. If you split a note or an articulation is not as clean as the last, do it again. Do not settle for anything less than perfection. When it sounds fantastic at a painfully slow tempo, raise it by 10 clicks and repeat the process. Do the same until you reach a fast tempo you want to play at. If you have put the time and effory into doing that properly, we should be able to hear every pitch in the fast section VERY clearly and that would be impressive, rather than a good articulation sound but with ambiguous pitch center. If you listen to lindbergs recording of this, you will notice you can always hear EXACTLY what he is playing. Everything is very clear and precise, whereas most other recording of this on trombone that I have heard, do not pay enough attention to making sure they are in fact playing ALL the notes exactly as they are written on the page.... a lot of recordings you hear the players will kind of "fake" their way through it which is much less impressive.

Well done again, I think if you address the things I just mentioned you have the potential to be a very impressive player.
uncle duke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:50PM »

I wish I was that good when I was 17 but this isn't about me......  pretty good kiddo.  If it weren't for bbbone1 commenting about intonation I wouldn't of noticed any differences.  Towards the end you were slightly flat but it took me three times listening thru to realize.  All I had was the first page of music to follow with.

Any particular reason the B natural was omitted?
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:57PM »

Jeez. Most kids after 3 years are struggling with the 1st movement of the RK concerto.

Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.

Yes there are thing in your performance that could be improved, but with talent like that, you should be shot.

Your accompanist is excellent, by the way.

Right, so now I've blown smoke up your ***e, (that's a UK saying, btw), your intonation and articulation needs work. Your upper register isn't secure, and your tempo rocks.

I wish I could play it as well as confidently as you. Thirty years ago, I could. But then decided on a career outside of music and my playing suffered. Don't do the same.

I'd love to hear and see more of your playing. Well done indeed.

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: