Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1075929 Posts in 71322 Topics- by 18934 Members - Latest Member: Klwklwmom
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our (semi-)balanced former POTUS  (Read 1409 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:34AM »

Here's a guy who knows he doesn't need to campaign for even one vote for the rest of his life.

Richard vs Barack - kiteboard and foilboard challenge

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vqhw8kxVd2o" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vqhw8kxVd2o</a>

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:09PM »

Love it! God Bless him, he EARNED it.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:05PM »

Good!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:11AM »

America's most distinguished news source, People Magazine, reveals that Obama is standing tall... with Danny Devito.

Barack Obama Takes Daughter Malia to Broadway Show — And He Looks Incredible!

Both Business Insider and People covered covered Obama's recent saunter across a sidewalk...

Obama appearance in New York City causes brief commotion

Barack Obama Gets Rockstar Greeting in Surprise Appearance on N.Y.C. Sidewalk

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:52PM »

The post Presidency book deal...

Report: Auction For Obamas' Book Deal Reaches More Than $60 Million

An auction for rights to books by Barack and Michelle Obama has set a new record for U.S. presidential memoirs, according to a report by the Financial Times.

The auction has reached more than $60 million, the Financial Times reported, citing unnamed sources with knowledge of the sales process. The Obamas are writing separate books but selling the global rights jointly.

One of President Donald Trump's pet conspiracy theories regarding his predecessor was that former Weather Underground member Bill Ayers actually wrote Obama's 1995 book Dreams From My Father.

"Bill Ayers wrote the book," Trump claimed in 2011. "And, you know, I wrote many best sellers, and also, number one bestsellers including The Art of the Deal. So I know something about writing."

Robert Holmén

badger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:46PM »

I have Grant’s ‘Memoirs’. Will Mr. Obama be magnanimous in his ghost written reflections?

B0B

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:07PM »

I have Grant’s ‘Memoirs’. Will Mr. Obama be magnanimous in his ghost written reflections?
Ghost written.... like "the art of the deal" actually written by Tony Schwartz? Nah, obama's actually pretty good with words. Not "terrific, just terrific" *insert hand gestures here* like some others... but he can be quite eloquent.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2017, 05:19PM »

Conservatives have to be rather self-destructive, perhaps due to sensory and/or intellectual oblivion, in order to actually attack democrats on their English skills in comparing recent presidents ... "recent" being the last quarter century. The GOP doesn't do so well on that count for a good while before that either, but at least there was a respectable degree of competence.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2017, 05:57PM »

Scholars are quite confident that Grant did his own work and I'm sure both the Obamas will also. Note that the article is about both of their books.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:50PM »

Barack And Michelle Obama Ink Historic Publishing Deal With Penguin Random House

Penguin Random House will publish forthcoming books by Barack and Michelle Obama, the publisher announced Tuesday. The former president and first lady will publish separate books, but jointly sold the rights.

The auction to secure the publishing deal for the two books topped $60 million. The figure is a record-breaking total for presidential memoirs, the Financial Times reported. The rights to Bill Clinton’s 2004 autobiography, “My Life,” netted $15 million; George W. Bush’s 2010 “Decision Points” scored an estimated $10 million.

Both of the Obamas have previously written books, though Michelle Obama has never written an autobiography. Barack Obama’s autobiography, the 2004 “Dreams from My Father,” and the 2006 “The Audacity Of Hope” were both massive bestsellers. In fact, more than 75 percent of the Obamas’ income since 2006, when Barack Obama first became a U.S. senator, has come from book sales, according to Forbes.

Robert Holmén

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:49AM »

Scholars are quite confident that Grant did his own work and I'm sure both the Obamas will also. Note that the article is about both of their books.

One irony here is that those who are competent with the English language (native speakers or otherwise) recognize the extraordinarily obvious here--we're aware of the absurdity of suggesting there's any comparison between The Donald and Obama ... for multiple reasons, not just the obvious. Just suggesting the contrary is a pretty overt display of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Those of us who are competent native English speakers aren't likely to have any need of a dictionary in order to parse any of The Donald's speeches. That means his writers know not to use words beyond the sixth grade level with him (so he doesn't stumble over a 64¢ word and make it worse). He may change that, but he's not likely to see the need through his ego until well after his deficit has already been well established with those competent enough to notice the issue (i.e. a whole helluvalot of people). Pretty much every president before this cartoon one have fairly regularly thrown out words most people need to look up, most of them in their natural, impromptu speech--they don't gotta have writers to make 'em talk good (very very good writers for very very good talk). This is clearly not the case with The Donald (or should I say very very clearly).

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2017, 01:26AM »

Here's an interesting Quora thread...

Is Barack Obama a nice person when there isn't a camera around?

Several dozen people responded, most with in-person encounters to relate. 

I could only find one person with a negative experience and that was because POTUS Barack Obama called to express his condolences after a relation of his was killed in a terror attack in Israel on... Monday! 

Monday, four days after the attack, instead of immediately on the same day.

And he didn't order all the flags to be flown at half staff!

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:40PM »

The story of the woman stuck at the airport is quite striking.

That was in the 80s when he was nobody.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2017, 01:42PM »

Obama Is Holed Up Writing His Book On The South Pacific Island Of Tetiaroa

Previously owned by Marlon Brando, now you can stay there for $2800-$13,000 per night.

Gilligan's Island on the outside...

Five-star hotel on the inside...

Robert Holmén

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:38PM »

Excellent. No one is more deserving.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2017, 11:21AM »

Replenishing the coffers, as George W. Bush put it...

Reports: Obama Takes $400K Fee To Speak At Investment Bank's Conference

If he speaks for 20 minutes that's going to be about... a whole lot of dollars per minute!

$400,000 is also happens to be the annual salary of the US President.

I imagine this fee and more like it will be turned over to the non-profit set up to build and maintain his Presidential Library.

Robert Holmén

elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2017, 12:11PM »

Replenishing the coffers, as George W. Bush put it...

Reports: Obama Takes $400K Fee To Speak At Investment Bank's Conference

If he speaks for 20 minutes that's going to be about... a whole lot of dollars per minute!

$400,000 is also happens to be the annual salary of the US President.

I imagine this fee and more like it will be turned over to the non-profit set up to build and maintain his Presidential Library.

Dunno, that remains to be seen and needs to be detailed.  Otherwise it will just be a stain on all his remarks from the other day.

Do as I say, not as I do at the highest level.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2017, 01:04PM »

Fun fact... this $400,000 would be about 2-4x what George W. Bush gets for speeches.

Dunno, that remains to be seen and needs to be detailed.  Otherwise it will just be a stain on all his remarks from the other day.

Do as I say, not as I do at the highest level.

Cheers,
Andy

And when you can show me a past comment from you here displaying the same dismay at the speaking fees GOP former office holders get... I'll take your concern seriously.  :D

Robert Holmén

elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:27AM »

Fun fact... this $400,000 would be about 2-4x what George W. Bush gets for speeches.

And when you can show me a past comment from you here displaying the same dismay at the speaking fees GOP former office holders get... I'll take your concern seriously.  :D

Well, the GOP platform and plan for the future isn't built on saying that the excesses of the business elite are bad.  I'm not saying that I'm OK with it, but it is part of their plan.  They LIKE pandering to their millionaires.  It's kinda their thing.  The democratic platform says this is a problem.  That's where my concern lies.  When you give somebody such obvious ammunition to kneecap your own message, the content of that message doesn't really even matter to the conversation anymore.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 07:19AM »

GQ says Obama is too unbuttoned...

Robert Holmén

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: