Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087379 Posts in 72025 Topics- by 19246 Members - Latest Member: mcjays
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best Slide Cream?  (Read 1965 times)
stealthheartocarinaZ
Gaming Musician of Time

View Profile WWW
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 11:32AM »

So, I really need to pick up some slide cream before I run out. I was wondering, what brand would you guys recommend? I would ask my section, but most of them use slide oil on their slides. I am currently using Bach because it was given to me, but is their a better one to use?

I don't play flute
Proud Ocarinist and Tromboner
*learn the difference, guys*
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 11:47AM »

There are too many Trombone Forum threads on this topic to count. 

Short answer (my personal opinion) - You would probably be happy with any of the following:
Yamaha Slide Lubricant (liquid)
Slide-O-Max Trombone Lubrication System (liquid - 2 parts)
Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort (liquid - one step)

Never use "Slide Oil."  Ever. 

I'm sure others will chip in with different recommendations, but the above all work well for me.  But none of them will work for long if you don't follow an appropriate slide hygiene / maintenance protocol. 
(Carefully clean both inner and outer slides regularly, removing all old / excess lubricant; give your slide a bath in lukewarm soapy water occasionally; use only distilled-quality water to spray your slide; and always put your slide away DRY.) 
Maintenance protocols also available on multiple Trombone Forum threads.   
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 11:52AM »

Bach works.  It's probably somebody else's with their name on it.

The one we consider the "gold standard" is Trombotine.  Comes in a tube.  I have a tube that is 15 years old and is not finished.

Another popular cream is SuperSlick.  Some folks really like it.  I used it for a few years and thought it was good as well.

Some folks like Conn Formula 3.  Very similar to the Bach.

Note that there is a little bottle of silicone drops for Formula 3 or for Superslick.  It's used to make them a little slicker.  Works on Trombotine as well.

If you are cheap, try some Pond's cold cream.  It used to be what we all used but there seems to have been a manufacturing change at Cheseborough-Pond's around the 1970s that changed it.  Still works, but not as good as it used to.  You have to use very little of the newer Pond's formula.

Note that Posaunus did not mention any slide creams.  These are all silicone preparations for the slide.  If you decide to use one, you MUST clean all the old slide cream from the inside of the outer slide and the outside of the inner slide.  Most creams will cause silicone preparations to gum up terribly.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 12:02PM »

I'm not qualified to say what is best, but I've had good luck with both Trombontine and super slick. 
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:39PM »

I've used them all and still have about 8 or 9 different types of lube knocking around.  Most are pretty good if properly used.  Right now I'm using Yamaha Slide Lube.  It is very good, available everywhere and inexpensive.

How is the slide on that Allora? 

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
stealthheartocarinaZ
Gaming Musician of Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:28PM »

As long as the slide is clean, it works fine. The longest it will go before needing to reapply is like...two or three weeks. Better than the other trombones I've used. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good slide.

I don't play flute
Lawrie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:33PM »

<snip>
The one we consider the "gold standard" is Trombotine.  Comes in a tube.  I have a tube that is 15 years old and is not finished.
<snip>
I have long wondered about this...

Many years ago, when Matt Walker was still in Australia, he worked on a couple of my horns (did beautiful work BTW) and advised me to use Trombotine.

I dutifully purchased a couple of tubes and found myself quite disappointed.

My biggest surprise was how gritty it felt (did I just get a bad batch or is this normal?).  Anyhow, I cleaned my horn thoroughly and applied the Trombotine (at the time I was a SuperSlick user).  I could not get within 50% of the results I could get with SuperSlick.  It was so bad I almost wondered if Matt had been having me on.

I figured maybe I'd misused the product or something, so cleaned up again, applied more sparingly (in case I'd used too much), and no better...  so I tried a little more and that was worse, so cleaned up again and went back to an even more sparing application...  Still couldn't get it better than 50% of the SuperSlick result.

These days, after my R10F came on the scene I predominately use SoM Rapid comfort, including on the horns that the Trombotine had so much trouble with and have even better results than the SuperSlick.

Sooo, I can't help but wonder how come Trombotine has such a wonderful reputation on this board when my personal results have been so disappointing.

FWIW, EVERYONE who has ever used any of my horns are always amazed at how well my slides work - wish I could take all the credit but if they hadn't been aligned properly by great techs in the first place it wouldn't matter how well I lubed 'em.

--=-- My credo - If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya Grin --=--

You're only paranoid if you're wrong.
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:18PM »

I've found that the secret sauce to trombotine is the silicone liquid that comes with slide o mix or system 3. Without this trombotine is just kind of average.
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:21PM »

To be clear: OP is asking specifically about brands of slide CREAM, not slide lubes in general, right?

I think everyone I know who uses cream uses Superslick.

If you're happy with cream, stick with cream, and ignore those of us trying to convince you to switch to something else.

(I'm a Slide-O-Mix user. I used slide cream before I discovered SoM ~15 years ago. I haven't tried other lubes, but I'm sure they're all great. For me, SoM feels good, lasts a while, and it's easier to get the proportions right than it is with cream.

I recently convinced one of my sectionmates to try SoM after 40 years of cream usage, and he IMMEDIATELY fell head-over-heels in love with SoM. Just sayin'.)
jalapeno

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:26PM »

I've used them all and still have about 8 or 9 different types of lube knocking around.  Most are pretty good if properly used.  Right now I'm using Yamaha Slide Lube.  It is very good, available everywhere and inexpensive.

Is "YAMAHA SLIDE CREAM"
the same thing ?

I have a 26g short tube
but I normally use SOM

Marmalade
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:56PM »

I have a jar of "Yamaha Slide Cream".  It's just like Bach Slide Cream.  So-so lube.  Might even be the same stuff.

Yamaha made a much better material that has the consistency of mucous (hence the nickname "Yama-Snot") that is a silicone based material.  Sometimes sold as Yamaha Slide Oil.

Bruce Guttman
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:26PM »

Yamaha renamed the product several years ago.  It is now labeled "Yamaha Slide Lubricant."  It is a wonderful product that is very convenient to apply, and works well on a wide range of trombone slides.  You need (should) only use a very small amount. 

I believe Bruce has indicated he has never used either Yamaha Slide Lubricant or one of the Slide-O-Mix lubricants (also excellent). 

I recommend trying at least one of these products on your trombone slide.  Used according to directions, they will last for years - if you don't expose them to high temperatures (which seems to de-emulsify them).  I have never seen the "crystallization" that is alleged to occur with these products - perhaps because I clean my slides regularly.  (It costs very little, in time or $, to re-apply the lubricant after cleaning.)   
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2017, 04:59AM »

I have used Slide-O-Mix.  It was in use on a trombone belonging to my Community Band.  I agree it works nicely.  Even on a 1947 King 2B Silvertone (the trombone in question).

Since I use almost exclusively creams, and the creams are not compatible with Slide-O-Mix, I don't use it on anything else.  That's not to say a silicone formula is not good for many people.  That includes SOM, Reka, BiNaK, Rapid Comfort, and others.

I have never tried the Yamaha product.  I have an old container of Yamaha Slide Cream that came with my 682G which long predates the current product.  I do hear good feedback on the current Yamaha lube.

Bruce Guttman
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:05AM »

Slides have a life of their own and like what they like. Two of my 5 slides work best with a 50/50 mix of Yamaha slide lube and Ultra Pure slide lube. The others work best with Slide-O-Mix "light", but all of them work very well with a smidge of Ponds (green cap) cold cream and a drop of S-O-M small bottle.

I have on order some Presto Slide slide cream from Presto Valves. Apparently it is a new product so I'm gonna give it a try.

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
PhilE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:12PM »

I used Trombotine for a while with results like Lawrie's.

Superslick is much better.

I now use a light application of Superslick after cleaning the inners and outers and the Yamaha lube on top of that.

FWIW, I find that to be much better than either of them on their own.

Phil
Geordie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12:04AM »

I acquired a small tub of slide cream with an old trombone I bought. The cream is labelled as Conn cream. The address given on the container is Elkhart. The contents are fully unused and untouched apart from what appears to be the removal of one application.  Any thoughts or experience with this stuff, have not had a chance to try it yet?

Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2017, 01:14AM »

You may have the predecessor to Conn Formula 3.  I think it's the generic cream often supplied with trombones in the 1970s.  It's not bad, but if you like a silicone formula like Slide-O-Mix, leave the cream alone and use the Slide-O-Mix.

If it says Conn Formula 3, it's comparable to Superslick cream.  Again, if you prefer SOM, leave it alone.

Bruce Guttman
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2017, 02:37AM »

:) funny enough there is so many different opinions about slide lubs, that I am sure it something to do with the saliva. To me the absolutelly worst i SOM and Rapid  comfort.
The best for me is trombotine. Bach cream is good. Conn cream is good.
If the Bach cream is good for you use it.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:09AM »

Why make this so damn complicated for students?

HEY KIDS, use Yamaha Slide Lubricant! It's AWESOME!

You can buy it at Guitar Center and everywhere else!

You just put a little on and play.

No stocking treat, no squirt bottles, no multi-bottle wizardry.

Yamaha Slide Lubricant!

Easy as slide oil, slippery as silicone!

Plus it smells nice!

It's like $4!

Idea!

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:16AM »

Mark, my one complaint with what you say is this:

Kids tend to think "more is better", especially when the slide is really awful (needs service).  A little Yama-"Snot" works great on a good slide.  More can make it gummy (more of almost anything can make it gummy).

Kids still in the "more is better" stage can use slide oil (the old stuff) because you can literally immerse the slide in it and it won't make it better or worse.  That's why I suggest it for raw beginners.

Some beginners can do well with the creams, silicones, etc.  Normally they need about a year before it becomes a good idea.

Bruce Guttman
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:20AM »

The snot is basically liquid and excess blows out the blow hole.

Plus the bottle mostly limits how much.

Creams plug things up if overused.

Slide oil is toxic garbage.

Yamaha Slide Lubricant!

Spread the good word with me!

Good!

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:59AM »

Kids tend to think "more is better", especially when the slide is really awful (needs service).  A little Yama-"Snot" works great on a good slide.  More can make it gummy (more of almost anything can make it gummy).
Especially on a brand new trombone with tight tolerances.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
ISAB

"Trombone Enthusiast"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:47AM »

Mark, my one complaint with what you say is this:

Kids still in the "more is better" stage can use slide oil (the old stuff) because you can literally immerse the slide in it and it won't make it better or worse.  That's why I suggest it for raw beginners.

Some beginners can do well with the creams, silicones, etc.  Normally they need about a year before it becomes a good idea.

I knew a kid who had this exact thought. He immersed his slide in oil EVERY DAY!
The situation never got better though :D

Bach Student Model TB301 Tenor Trombone - 12C
Yamaha YSL882GO Xeno - Peter Sullivan Signature
stealthheartocarinaZ
Gaming Musician of Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:38PM »

To be clear: OP is asking specifically about brands of slide CREAM, not slide lubes in general, right?

I think everyone I know who uses cream uses Superslick.

If you're happy with cream, stick with cream, and ignore those of us trying to convince you to switch to something else.

Yeah, I did ask for cream. The music stores near me only sell cream and oil, and I don't really have the means to buy anything online. I just didn't want to be rude.

I don't play flute
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: