Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083973 Posts in 71755 Topics- by 19138 Members - Latest Member: awsomeness84
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Greg Black 1G  (Read 5656 times)
CG2198

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46PM »

Before you take it to lightweight try the "*" weight. It is in between the regular and light and works really well!!

I'll have to ask him about that, I'm going to be driving up to his shop in a couple weeks.

There is always more you can learn.
fwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00PM »

In the spirit of full discloser I have gone back to the Griego GP6.  The Greg Black is a great mouthpiece but for me I like the rim and middle register on the GP6 more.  Certainly either is worth a look if you're in the market for a new piece.
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 06:00PM »

I'm still using mine. It is only getting better with practice. I can get a good snap out of it in all registers when needed, but not if I don't want. That's hard to find in the average piece.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50T, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
trombonehawaii

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 09:56PM »

I've moved into a 0GM, .312", #2. Never thought I'd be able to play a large piece but it works for me without much sacrifice (or nothing that practice can't restore  :/ )

W. Jordan Goto
bass trombonist and composer
Royal Hawaiian Band
Kamuela Philharmonic Orchestra

Shires Custom Bass  |  Greg Black 0GM .312" #2
Edwards T350  |  Greg Black NY1
BassBoneBlanton

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2017, 07:59PM »

Can somebody tell me how I can get one of these bad boys?
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56PM »

^contact Dillon, Virtosity (in Boston), or one of his other dealers to see if they have one in stock. If not contact Greg or me if you can't get a hold of him and I will get it ordered for you.
Facebook is a good way to contact him.
I think he just shipped a bunch of stuff to Dillons and Virtosity for ITF.

Why am I not practicing?????
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 08:35PM »

I got a regular weight 1G .312" #2 and a regular weight 1 1/4 .312 #2 on trial a week ago (I've been playing a Pickett 1.75 recently, and played a Minick L before that).

While I realize that no mouthpiece will be the magic mouthpiece that will fix all of my problems, I am a BIG fan of the 1G.

I always liked the sound of standard Greg Black pieces, but never felt I was able to supply the air to fuel these and make them sound right consistently (and I am a big guy... 6'4"). The .312"/#2 combo seems to maintain the Greg Black sound I love while also not requiring quite the same volume of air to get consistent results.

The 1 1/4G is also very nice, but I think I'll be sticking with the 1G.

I strongly second the recommendation to check out Virtuosity in Boston. Really nice store, and Steve the owner is a great guy I am happy to support. When I called a week ago, all of the larger Greg Black mouthpieces they had were .312"/#2.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 06:24AM »

I always liked the sound of standard Greg Black pieces, but never felt I was able to supply the air to fuel these and make them sound right consistently (and I am a big guy... 6'4"). The .312"/#2 combo seems to maintain the Greg Black sound I love while also not requiring quite the same volume of air to get consistent results.

My experience exactly.

I strongly second the recommendation to check out Virtuosity in Boston. Really nice store, and Steve the owner is a great guy I am happy to support. When I called a week ago, all of the larger Greg Black mouthpieces they had were .312"/#2.

Yes, Steve Johnson and his crew at Virtuosity are making the effort and investing the money to do it right, with good, well-chosen stock and excellent customer service. Now that Rayburn has closed their retail store (I believe they still do school rentals out of a warehouse), Virtuosity is the only place in the city of Boston to buy brass instruments and accessories. They carry Bach, Conn and Edwards new, and have a pretty good used stock as well (though it's impossible to compete with Dillon's on that front). You still have to go to the factory to try any new Shires, but that's just an hour outside the city.

And they just placed a second order with Greg  Good!

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 06:28AM »

From a Pickett 1.75 to a Black 1g?  That's a huge jump.  Not sure I could handle such a move.   Amazed

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 06:41AM »

From a Pickett 1.75 to a Black 1g?  That's a huge jump.  Not sure I could handle such a move.   Amazed

You may be surprised! A big rim with an efficient underpart doesn't always feel big, at least to me.  I mixed up an MB111 with my EUPH104N last night (played the 111 thinking it was the 104) because of how efficiently the Elliott underpart works for me.  YMMV of course!

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 06:50AM »

I'm no stranger to large mouthpieces and have used some with moderate success.  Never cared for the Black 1.25.  Always seemed MUCH bigger than a 1.25.  Preferred even the Parker Dunkel mouthpiece which is supposedly bigger.  Maybe if someone near me has one, I'll try it.  Otherwise, I think it's out of my league.

Awesome to know some people are having a great experience with it though!

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 07:03AM »

The 1.25 is definitely on the bigger side in Black's lineup.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 08:52AM »

And they just placed a second order with Greg  Good!

I called them up - I'll be making a trip down a week from Saturday - they should have the new GB stock in by then.  Can't wait!

"Remember, your trombone is not a weapon!" -Ben van Dijk
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28PM »

It is not as huge of a leap as it seems at first, but I did get the 1 1/4 out of concern regarding this.

Pickett's numbering system is a bit strange. Their 1 is roughly equal rim wise to a Black 0, 1.3 to a Black 1. Pickett 1.75 would be a 1 5/16 with Black (Pickett is 1.107", Black 1 1/4 is 1.122" and 1 3/8 is 1.098"). With the smaller throat and backbore on the Black, for me they play easier and more efficiently than the Pickett mouthpieces, and I have preferred the 1G over the 1 1/4G both in feel and what I am hearing when I record.

Also, it is worth noting that the regular weight Greg Black Mouthpieces are significantly lighter than the standard Pickett mouthpiece.
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15PM »

Interesting.  I have a Pickett 1.5 and I don't find the thirst all that large.  Is it really larger than Greg's pieces?

jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 02:53PM »

Interesting.  I have a Pickett 1.5 and I don't find the thirst all that large.  Is it really larger than Greg's pieces?

I don't know the specs for throat size and backbore comparing Pickett vs Greg Black. For rim size, yes a 1.5 Pickett is quite a bit larger than a 1.5 Black (1.127" vs 1.063").

For me, the .312"/#2 combo is just a better fit. Don't know if that is about balance between large rim/deep cup and the throat/backbore size, or the thinner rim on the Greg Black, or the lighter weight on Greg Black or a combination of all of the above.
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17PM »

Yes, I'm very familiar with the Pickett mouthpieces.  I should have clarified what I meant.  It sounds like you're saying similarly sized Pickett mouthpieces are larger at the back end compared to the Greg Black you're playing now.  Is that correct?

With the smaller throat and backbore on the Black, for me they play easier and more efficiently than the Pickett mouthpieces

jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 01, 2017, 08:52PM »

Yes, I'm very familiar with the Pickett mouthpieces.  I should have clarified what I meant.  It sounds like you're saying similarly sized Pickett mouthpieces are larger at the back end compared to the Greg Black you're playing now.  Is that correct?

When I say smaller throat and backbore I am referring to the .312/#2 Black vs a standard Black.

I have never seen statistics on throat sizes for Pickett and my digital calipers do not reach into the throat of a mouthpiece. I can not tell much of a difference between the throats/backbores on .312/#2 Black and my Pickett, though.

I can tell you though
- The Greg Black rim is thinner, which for me is more comfortable
- the Pickett is significantly heavier (189 grams for pickett vs 139 g for Black)
- Greg Black cup is deeper
- for me, the Greg Black plays much better, and everyone I have played it for agrees
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:07AM »

When I say smaller throat and backbore I am referring to the .312/#2 Black vs a standard Black.

I can tell you though
- The Greg Black rim is thinner, which for me is more comfortable
- the Pickett is significantly heavier (189 grams for pickett vs 139 g for Black)
- Greg Black cup is deeper
- for me, the Greg Black plays much better, and everyone I have played it for agrees

Gotcha!  Thanks for sharing your input/experiences!

bbone1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 22, 2017, 02:36PM »

After having spent more than 5 years on the Hammond 21, I felt it was time to try out something new. I liked and still do like my Hammonds, but feel the sound is very "locked in" not flexible enough. So over the span of more than one year I tried a lot of what there is available in the Schilke 60 size, also a bit smaller and larger.

Laskey 93
Laskey 95
Greg Black 1
Greg Black 1 #2 backbore
Greg Black 1 1/8
Doug Elliot (don't remember specs unfortunately)
Giddings and Webster Don Harwood
Harwood.

They are all great products and there are many of them who had great features that could have made them my main mouthpiece but for me personally the GB1 #2 (0.312) was not it. I tied it with the hope that it would keep the great features of the standard GB but was a bit more focused and had more clarity. That was however not the case in my experience.

To me it felt like it a lot more "friendly" in terms of control and comfort but seemed to lose the GB qualities, especially that super massive dark sound that I was used to.

I hope to have another chance to try one of those, as too many great players use those now to ignore the trend,but of me it  was a strangly unsatisfying mouthpiece. Don't know

Again, just MY experience.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: