Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069773 Posts in 70993 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) New Law Would Let Arizona Treat Organized Dissent as Organized Crime
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Law Would Let Arizona Treat Organized Dissent as Organized Crime  (Read 1004 times)
vito
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:52PM »

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/02/23/new-law-would-let-arizona-treat-organized-dissent-organized-crime

Stretch Longarm
old enough to know better

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:19PM »

Here we go...un-friggin' believable.

trombone airflow is 360 degrees. Think about it.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:01PM »

I'm confident that would be overturned at the Supreme Court level but not before many people's lives were turned upside down for protesting something.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:00PM »

Reliable source?
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:22PM »

Reliable source?

https://www.usnews.com/news/arizona/articles/2017-02-22/arizona-senate-oks-racketeering-charges-for-riots
By BOB CHRISTIE, Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) — The full Arizona Senate on Wednesday approved a bill that makes participating in or helping organize a protest that turns into a riot an offense that could lead to criminal racketeering charges, legislation Republican backers say is needed to crack down on violent protesters.

The measure adds rioting to the organized crime statutes and says an overt act isn't needed to prove conspiracy to riot, meaning someone could be charged who wasn't involved in the actual riot.

All 17 Senate Republicans supported the measure and all 13 Democrats voted no. It now heads to the House.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:36PM »

It's getting crazier.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:33PM »

It's getting crazier.

Dunno ... we've had some pretty crazy legislation. We have some pretty crazy antiquated legislation that's never gone away other than in terms of enforcement, if they were ever enforced.

But it seems pretty strikingly clear that this "law" would never survive a challenge, but ideologues/dogmatists will never learn not to throw massive public moneys away just to affirm their views and to feel self-satisfied with the illusion that they've imposed their personal demons on everyone else.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:49PM »

That might actually be the scariest thing I've seen yet Amazed

Holton TR 185 1960's, Doug Elliott LB
Shires Dependent TruBores 2010's, Doug Elliott LB
King 3B 1980's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:52PM »

Reliable source?

Not this:

Just look at the titles. The two are not the same. I'd say that the original article stretched for inflammatory words to the extent that it is no longer factual.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:50PM »

A step closer to martial law in the US?

How did we get here?  Anyone want to take a shot at that?

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:05PM »

If this Republican regime manages to stack the Supreme court, it could happen.

Scary. But the people will not stand for it. There will be an uprising and it won't be pretty. No one wants to live under that, especially in the USA.

This is why it is so important not to overlook the representative and senate elections. Gaining more seats and maybe a majority in either could stem the tide of this fascist bs
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:10PM »

Not this:

Just look at the titles. The two are not the same. I'd say that the original article stretched for inflammatory words to the extent that it is no longer factual.

They're not the same article but they are about the same news. Is there something not true in the first one?

Robert Holmén

badger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:54PM »

IMHO RICO ( comparison purposes )  may have started out with good intentions but has wavered too far.

This is uncalled for and unnecessary.

Property forfeiture is out of control in some localities, and way beyond original intent.

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:19PM »

IMHO RICO ( comparison purposes )  may have started out with good intentions but has wavered too far.

This is uncalled for and unnecessary.

Property forfeiture is out of control in some localities, and way beyond original intent.

Agree 100%. Property forfeitures should be limited to convicted criminals, period. In my state they are.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:34PM »

They're not the same article but they are about the same news. Is there something not true in the first one?

The difference between a protest and a riot. They ARE different; the Commondreams article talks about protests and the USNews talks about riots. One of these is wrong.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2017, 09:09PM »

The difference between a protest and a riot. They ARE different; the Commondreams article talks about protests and the USNews talks about riots. One of these is wrong.

The problem is that using the 'guilt-by-association' engendered by RICO laws, you could show up in good faith for a protest and end up in a riot. That's one of the complications of RICO laws--you can be held responsible for things you didn't do.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2017, 11:19AM »

Objection to civil forfeiture laws is one of the things that has support on both sides of the aisle. It's truly a disgrace.

The burden of proof is so low for confiscation of your property that most places you can lose your property without even being charged with a crime. RICO laws are just another permutation and extension of this lawlessness.

One interesting wrinkle that not many people are aware of: The money laundering charge known as 'structuring'. That is having multiple cash transactions just below the $10,000 threshold for the bank reporting requirement. It's what they charged Rush Limbaugh with when he was having his little fling with Oxy.

The problem is that there are perfectly good reasons someone could do this. One of the people in the NYT article was a woman who always took less than $10K to the bank, because her mom told her banks hate filling out the paperwork. Another was an old guy whose theft insurance covered $10K in cash, so when he got close he deposited it. Both businesses lost tens of thousands in civil forfeiture. They weren't charged, because they could account for the legal source of the money, but the IRS doesn't give it back without a fight. In some cases they'll even counteroffer to give you part of your money back as a settlement, even though you've done nothing wrong.

The banks are required to report these transactions, but they can't tell you about it! So if you're innocently making deposits that appear to be structured, even if they know the reason is legitimate, they can't warn you off of it. If you ask your banker about it, they're supposed to hand you a card.

I know this is off the subject, but it's a good thing to know about. Starting at that very low threshold of blame and applying it to protests would have a chilling effect on political speech. You could organize a peaceful protest, get caught in a riot, and be punished as part of a criminal organization.

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2017, 01:15PM »

They should just round up the rioters and charge them with the crimes they commit, instead of just standing there and watching them destroy other people's property. Most would be felonies, so it would thin the herd pretty quickly.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2017, 01:21PM »

They should just round up the rioters and charge them with the crimes they commit, instead of just standing there and watching them destroy other people's property. Most would be felonies, so it would thin the herd pretty quickly.

I agree 100%. Most of the suggestions seem to center on hauling in innocent people, like 'defunding' colleges where riots take place. What would be the moral or legal basis for that? If a crime is committed on campus, do we punish the other students? Would we defund Texas Christian University if a mass shooting occurred there? Of course not.

But you're right, they should concentrate on actual crime rather than dissent.

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:23PM »

Cops aren't stupid... It's easier to arrest the non-violent people who are standing around not doing anything.

Robert Holmén

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: