Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073102 Posts in 71184 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: pchoi
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: slide advantage) Aftermarket case for Reynolds Contempora bass -- Protec IPAC?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aftermarket case for Reynolds Contempora bass -- Protec IPAC?  (Read 1138 times)
ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« on: Feb 27, 2017, 04:24PM »

Looking to pass my Reynolds Contempora double bass down to my 13yo son. The original case survived 30 years of adventures with me and some time with my uncle before that. While the latches still work, it's getting pretty ratty and I'd like to get something new for the next generation.

I tried the Protec Max case, but it had rigid foam material where the Contempora's forward tubing lies. Are there any cases out there where the material that would be at the underside of the bell is movable or can be custom shaped? I can't tell if the accessory container in the Protec IPAC is permanently attached or not.

Anyone have any luck fitting this old horn into a modern case?

Here's a link to a photo of the factory case: https://goo.gl/photos/Z6MNWjwLjiFxG2EaA
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 03:27AM by ElShaddai » Logged

Visit Contempora Corner for information about Reynolds trombones and other brass instruments
JPTbone
JPTbone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:44PM »

Hi, Mr. ElShaddai Edwards, I have a Reynolds Contempora double valve base bone in a Protec case. It certainly isn't the optimum case design for this base bone with the F att tubes toward the bell flare. My old Reynolds case, not as nice as yours, wore out the vinyl plastic strap which held the bell in place, and my wife knew of this. So I was presented with a Protec bass bone case as a surprise Christmas gift. The bell didn't fit. I went to the store and they re-arranged the movable blocks in it to accommodate the horn. I have to stuff an old T shirt between the bell and the mouthpiece compartment to keep the bell stable. So, for my use, it works fine. I don't ever fly with it.

I've had the case for many years and moved 2 times, so don't have the documentation that came with it. I have no idea what version of Protec it is. What is an Ipac? This case is very sturdy and heavy, not at all like a gig bag.

I don't have a way to post photos here but I can send the ones I took today to your e-mail if that works for you. Does your e-mail remain the same as noted in your profile?

BTW, I bought my horn new in 1968. No slide lock. In fact, I discovered the slide was sliding out and hitting the edge of the bell in this Protec case, so I stuff a Crown Royal bottle pouch between the slide tenon and the case edge to protect the bell edge. FYI, the serial number of the horn is 2287xx. Great Trombone. My shoulders are bad so I use an Ergo-bone. I like your Contempora Corner web site tons!!!

Cheers, "JP"  I'm in sunny, warm Fla for the winter and playing with Clay County Community concert and swing bands. Back to Maine in May.

Jan Paul "JP" Folkenroth
Bath, Maine, Bath Municipal Concert Band
Bath Municipal Swing Band
Conn 48H Connstellation, with 7G valve, Bach 15E, 7C
Conn 18H Coprion Director, Bach 15C, 12C
Reynolds TO-01 Contempora Bass, Bach 1.5G, 6.5AL, Reynolds 2A
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:40AM »

I have to say; when I was 16 and in an army (music school) band we performed along side the BBC Concert Orch and the bass trombonist played one of these. I though that it was the most beautiful thing that I'd ever seen. Sounded pretty good too.
ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:01AM »

I don't have a way to post photos here but I can send the ones I took today to your e-mail if that works for you. Does your e-mail remain the same as noted in your profile?

Yep, that email address is current -- much appreciated!

Visit Contempora Corner for information about Reynolds trombones and other brass instruments
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:26AM »

If you ever find a suitable case for your Contempora, could you please inform everyone? I have 2 guys in my orchestra who have them and are suffering from carrying the very heavy original cases. They love the horns but not the combined weight!

Cheers

Stewbones

PS I didn't mean that I have 2 bass trombones in my orchestra; My heavy brass department consists of a tuba player, a bass and tenor trombone player, a bass, tenor and euphonium player, a tenor trombone player and an alto, tenor and bass trombone player. All corners are covered Good!

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
JPTbone
JPTbone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:04AM »

Hi again all, my original Reynolds case was wood shell and was in great shape on the outside, the internals didn't work very well. As stated, the case was a surprise gift; there were no other choices at the time so I have done no research of what is out there in the way of cases. This Protec case is really heavy with this horn and 2 mouthpieces. I think would be very heavy for a teenager. It is very heavy for me but I am a tall, skinny guy. So, probably better cases out there than mine, but it works for me; wish my original case was like yours.

Feel free to place the photos back here if you like but probably not useful. Do inform us if you find better. My pix to you in about an hour or so, ElShaddai.

Cheers, JP

Jan Paul "JP" Folkenroth
ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:50AM »

If you ever find a suitable case for your Contempora, could you please inform everyone? I have 2 guys in my orchestra who have them and are suffering from carrying the very heavy original cases. They love the horns but not the combined weight!

Cheers

Stewbones

Will do, for sure. After the comments here and a chat with Horn Guys didn't turn up any options, I'm looking twice at this Protec Max case to see if taking a hacksaw to the corner of the accessory container might work, without destroying the structural integrity of the case.

My other option is to try and get the latch hardware on the original case reinforced as that was the weak point I was worried about. 13yo is big and strong enough to haul it around - I just was worried about it popping open.

JPTbone
JPTbone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:11AM »

Photos sent. Let me know if you need some better ones. I can try to use flash if they don't come out.

Also, for my future ref, let know if this is the Protec "Max" case.

Cheers, JP

Jan Paul "JP" Folkenroth
ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:14AM »

Photos sent. Let me know if you need some better ones. I can try to use flash if they don't come out.

Also, for my future ref, let know if this is the Protec "Max" case.

Cheers, JP

No, the Protec Max is a lightweight contoured case which would work well except the accessory area under the bell is not movable.

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx309ct.htm

Thanks for the photos by the way -- from what I can tell, yours looks more like an earlier version of the PRO PAC:

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/pb309ct.htm

This is the IPAC:

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/ip309ct.htm

I've sent a note to Protec asking for clarification on the design of the forward accessory compartment. I'll update if I hear anything back.

Roscotrombone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2017, 10:08AM »

I have the IPAC bass case and it's lighter than the pro Pac.

I have my B&S Sarastro in it and I really like it. The slide section is alongside the bell which does put people off but once you've adjusted it at either end then it's all good and it's never shown any signs of moving/falling out.

The bell section is extremely secure and it has a cool little bit which rests against the slide receiver.

The case also has adjustable pads for greater flexibility.

Hope this info is helpful.

Ross

Trombones are for life,not just for Christmas
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:17PM »

Ross, I think the bit of information that helps the OP the most is whether or not the zippered accessory compartment inside of Ipac is removable or not, since that would likely be in the way of the unique wrap of Contempora bass trombone.

When I saw the subject line of this thread (without mention of Ipac then), the first case that came to my mind was an Ipac as well, but didn't respond because I didn't know if that accessory storage can be removed. lt does look that way in the picture but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. So if you can clarify that one point it would probably be very helpful!

For what it is worth, I had modified a ProPac bass trombone case to fit German trombone with very long slide tenon that did not fit in anything else. I just removed the slide stopper block in that case, which was simply glued. So, if the accessory storage in Ipac is NOT removable, chances are you could still remove it (by that I mean rip it off) assuming ProTec uses same method (gluing) to construct all of their cases...

I have the IPAC bass case and it's lighter than the pro Pac.

I have my B&S Sarastro in it and I really like it. The slide section is alongside the bell which does put people off but once you've adjusted it at either end then it's all good and it's never shown any signs of moving/falling out.

The bell section is extremely secure and it has a cool little bit which rests against the slide receiver.

The case also has adjustable pads for greater flexibility.

Hope this info is helpful.

Ross

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:29PM »

I think an Eastman would work.  The material that would be in the way of the wrap is very soft and should come right out.  I have an Eastman and would be happy to check the fit of my Reynolds single...

--Bach 50B (1966)
Roscotrombone

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:56AM »

Ross, I think the bit of information that helps the OP the most is whether or not the zippered accessory compartment inside of Ipac is removable or not, since that would likely be in the way of the unique wrap of Contempora bass trombone.

I've checked the case and no the storage pouch doesn't come off. From where my bell sits in the case there is about 8cm from the bottom of my F tubing to the pouch and from top to bottom my F tubing (slide right in obviously) is 36cm.

Hopefully this is more helpful.

Ross

Trombones are for life,not just for Christmas
JHungate96

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:56PM »

The bass bone player in the local symphony plays a Contempora, and carries it in a Glenn Cronkhite gig bag, for what it's worth.
ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2017, 06:38AM »

I've checked the case and no the storage pouch doesn't come off. From where my bell sits in the case there is about 8cm from the bottom of my F tubing to the pouch and from top to bottom my F tubing (slide right in obviously) is 36cm.

Hopefully this is more helpful.

Ross

Thank you, much appreciated!

ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2017, 06:43AM »

I think an Eastman would work.  The material that would be in the way of the wrap is very soft and should come right out.  I have an Eastman and would be happy to check the fit of my Reynolds single...

Is this the one you have?

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trombone-cases/products/eastman-cabt-16-bass-trombone-case

The Reynolds single probably would be fine, but it looks like there's an accessory container where the double's f tubing comes forward under the bell... but if it's movable/pliable, that might be an option.

ElShaddai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2017, 06:46AM »

The bass bone player in the local symphony plays a Contempora, and carries it in a Glenn Cronkhite gig bag, for what it's worth.

Yep, if it were for me, that's probably what I would do. But not sure I want to put a gig bag in the hands of a 13 year old, so for now, I put a bungy cord around original case and sent him off to school. So far, so good.

greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:46AM »

Is this the one you have?

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trombone-cases/products/eastman-cabt-16-bass-trombone-case

The Reynolds single probably would be fine, but it looks like there's an accessory container where the double's f tubing comes forward under the bell... but if it's movable/pliable, that might be an option.

Yes, that is the one. That area is not a compartment - just a block of soft foam.  (And the edge of it has some Velcro to hold a slide receiver spacer thing.)  You could cut it away easily. 

--Bach 50B (1966)
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:41PM »

Here is my Bach 50 in the Eastman...

https://goo.gl/photos/Uas5BMpSQdXPfBjy7

--Bach 50B (1966)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: