Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083370 Posts in 71707 Topics- by 19127 Members - Latest Member: peppermintpatty5
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why I don't mind paying taxes  (Read 348 times)
B0B

View Profile
« on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:40PM »

It's easy to take everyday things for granted... until they aren't there anymore. And often, those things aren't free either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/us/omahas-answer-to-costly-potholes-go-back-to-gravel-roads.html

OMAHA — After living more than 40 years along a road plagued by potholes, Jo Anne Amoura was excited to see city crews shred her block of Leavenworth Street into gravel.

“I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, this is great. We’re going to get a new street,’” Ms. Amoura recalled. “And then we waited and waited and waited.”

Fresh pavement never arrived. Only after the asphalt had been ripped out almost three years ago did Ms. Amoura and her neighbors learn that their street had been “reclaimed,” Omaha City Hall’s euphemism for unpaving a road.

“It’s really kind of like living in the country in the city,” said Ms. Amoura, 74. Her neighbors sometimes hauled wheelbarrows full of scattered gravel back up the hill after big rainstorms. And her house, she says, is regularly smudged with dirt blowing in from the street.

As in many big cities, the infrastructure here is crumbling, a problem exacerbated by decades of neglect and a network of residential roads, including Ms. Amoura’s, that have never met code. But Omaha’s solution is extreme: grinding paved streets into gravel as a way to cut upkeep costs.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:11PM »

Government is what makes civilization possible.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:23AM »

Government is what makes civilization possible.

Sadly, too many people just are not ideologically capable of understanding that.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: