Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069600 Posts in 70983 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Why the wholesale hatred of all things liberal by some on the right
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why the wholesale hatred of all things liberal by some on the right  (Read 317 times)
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 04:51PM »

Interesting article

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/rural-america-understanding-isnt-problem
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:40PM »

You can bump this one up and reignite an existing discussion if it looks like there's anything in it you'd like to bump up and reignite.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:02PM »

Back when my grandmother was alive, I was living in the country... I joked with her one christmas, in the new place I lived, I was currently going to a Methodist church. I explored in the country one day, and drove by an ARP Presbyterian church having a revival. I'd never even heard of an ARP Presbyterian church. And the baptist church was more liberal than the PCA Presbyterians...

She made a comment in her age and experience that really rang true: Churches adapt to the area and to the people. What is more concistant than a particular denomination is the churches in an area. They adapt to the people.

That and: wow it's been a long time since I've seen an ARP Presbyterian. Didn't know they were still around.

Cause really? I know where to find Moravians... but ARP Presbyterians? Where the heck?

But I also lived in Goldsboro, NC for a bit. It's a city kept alive by the air force. Outside of that, the average income is 20-30k a year (including the local hospital and medical folks). Lots of farming, and then also cheap retail and chains. But when I lived there, there was a joke... when(if) you graduated highschool there were a few questions to ask: is my girlfriend pregnant? Yes, ok, marry her and stick around. No? Do I have money? Yes, go to a college far away and get out. No? Go to the local community college for a year or two to get some credits, then go to state school and get out. Because basically those with any motivation left the city. And this was actually a city mind yall...

What was left... was a community of locals in a rather ugly area with no motivation to go anywhere else, or really make anything else of themselves than what they knew at 18.

Change? hell no!

If you live in a poor, ugly area where the only thing to do is hunt, go 4 wheeling, and hang out in the walmart parking lot... there is no change.

So... while I get where the author is coming from. I gotta say, it's not so much the churches or the lessons they "teach" as much as the people themselves who are change adverse and really do not want to think or expand or change. The churches just respond to the populous.

As I went smaller, I only really saw more of the same... with the exception of easy access out.

Had a friend from that type of area... he just couldn't ever live the life he believed he should. He thought he needed to have a wife, with kids, out in the country, with acres and acres of fields... that was a respectable life. But he didn't actually like working outside so much. His marriage was strained because he still listened to his mother above all else. His wife didn't think he would be a good father, and refused to have kids, and well, he could never find work that paid anything in the country.

Took him to the bar one night, and broke the news that another friend who was a hell of a guy... well, that friend was insecure, never satisfied with what he had, fell to drugs, and died from a drug overdose of opioids. Tried to talk to him about his own depression, and mismatched goals... he cried a bit that night. Then went right back to his old ways.

Some people just don't know how to change even if they want to.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:06PM »

You can bump this one up and reignite an existing discussion if it looks like there's anything in it you'd like to bump up and reignite.

reignite is right  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: