Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rank Beginner  (Read 2057 times)
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:41AM »

I like the Rubanks method suggested by others here, but first and foremost I would start with some lessons.  Each teacher is going to have a method book they prefer.  I find it easier the sooner you catch bad habits the easier it is to correct them.  If you practice something wrong for months and then take lessons you'll have to unlearn that bad habit the right way.  You will progress much faster with a teacher than without one.  If you start off with a good teacher you can get correction sooner.  Once you have developed some proficiency on the horn finding a community band is a great way to improve.  If your town has a new Horizons program they have bands at different playing levels, and offer a great opportunity to play with others. You want a group that challenges you current level, but is not so far over your head that you aren't cutting it.   
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2017, 07:11AM »

@MikeMiller:

If you want a better band and the general rule is "take all comers", make a special group of the best players with some challenging music.  Give them either a special moment in a regular concert or have them play special concerts.competitions even if they never decided to pursue a career in music.

That would be a great idea if we had enough people to create a separate group with the better players. Unfortunately, the whole band is lucky to have 50 people on a good day. As they say, it is what it is. It gives me something to do on Tuesday nights and sometimes we enjoy a frosty beverage afterwards.
MilesMonkMingus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:22PM »

The OP never stated if it was a straight horn or a trigger horn. If it is a straight horn, the book you mentioned above will be of marginal value.

...Geezer

Straight horn.  Old's Ambassador

Needs a dent taken out of the slide
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: